Date: 28-03-24  Time: 21:26 pm

Author Topic: Autonomous vehicles survey  (Read 5770 times)

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Autonomous vehicles survey
« on: 27 January 2020, 02:18:00 pm »
I saw this on the IAM Facebook page, asking people's opinions on autonomous cars, planes and ships.

It takes about 10-15 minutes to complete.
https://www.soscisurvey.de/drive2thefuture_en/

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Re: Autonomous vehicles survey
« Reply #1 on: 28 January 2020, 04:51:11 pm »
I was going to participate, I'm against all autonomous vehicles, but just before I did I noticed that the survey is part of an EU project so that was the end of that :\ .

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 January 2020, 10:25:35 pm »
*Facepalm*

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 January 2020, 10:52:31 pm »

*Facepalm*

Yeah that's also what I did when I heard that there was a campaign to deface and refuse to accept the new Brexit 50p's :lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 January 2020, 11:18:25 pm »
I was going to participate, I'm against all autonomous vehicles, but just before I did I noticed that the survey is part of an EU project so that was the end of that :\ .

It was the first question that put me right off.
Male, female or other?
WTF  :rolleyes
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 January 2020, 11:45:09 am »
Male, female or other?

Yes, because your school biology was the be-all and end-all of the subject and it's not in *any* way more complicated than that... :rolleyes

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 January 2020, 02:28:57 pm »
Male, female or other?

Yes, because your school biology was the be-all and end-all of the subject and it's not in *any* way more complicated than that... :rolleyes

I reckon in a survey about autonomous vehicles the categories of male or female will do just fine don't you?
Or maybe XY or XX if it makes you feel any better?
Or is it a secret test to see how "Other" people think?

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 January 2020, 10:45:35 pm »
Go on, answer the question, man up!  :)

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 January 2020, 11:26:47 pm »
I reckon in a survey about autonomous vehicles the categories of male or female will do just fine don't you?

Right, so you want to force everyone into an arbitrary binary because that's what you feel comfortable with...   :rolleyes

Or maybe XY or XX if it makes you feel any better?
Nice way to demonstrate your ignorance of human chromosome patterns.

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 January 2020, 10:41:08 am »

I'm just the right age for an autonomous vechicle.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 January 2020, 10:42:00 am »
 Lets see who is behind this then shall we.

Its called Horizon 2020 the European Research Council. Which is a research programme "steering group" that has spent €80 billion up to 2020 and are now looking for a further 100 billion to carry on, no wonder when the Directorate-General for Research and Innovation who heads it is trousering at least 200K per year salary and a pension with equivalent to an 1.7m pot  :eek .Also at the top running the EU quango are
  • A Commissioner
  • Director-General
  • Deputy Director-General x3
This from the man at the top -- “Getting people excited about European research is one of the main aims of Horizon 2020 Europe missions”  :rolleyes

Oh and the IAM is one of the "partners"

« Last Edit: 30 January 2020, 10:46:35 am by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 January 2020, 11:17:59 am »
Nice try Grahamm :lol

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 January 2020, 11:56:27 am »
Old git you'll never be the right age for one of them autonomous thing err me bobs not while you can still throw a leg over a bike.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 January 2020, 12:03:07 pm »
Let's look a little further into who this group is:

Horizon 2020 is the biggest EU Research and Innovation programme ever with nearly €80 billion of funding available over 7 years (2014 to 2020) – in addition to the private investment that this money will attract. It promises more breakthroughs, discoveries and world-firsts by taking great ideas from the lab to the market.

Hmm.

In 2011 the EU Heads of State and Government called on the European Commission to bring together all of the previous EU's research and innovation funding under a single common strategic framework. The Commission launched a wide-ranging consultation involving all key stakeholders which has led to Horizon 2020.

The European Commission has compiled all the feedback from stakeholders, and has taken into account recommendations from the European Parliament, as well as lessons learned from previous programmes. The message was clear – make Horizon 2020 simpler for users – and it is!

So fazersharp seems to think funding research and innovation and bringing it together under one roof where efforts can be concentrated, rather than being scattered piecemeal all over Europe is a bad idea.

Nice try...

PS Oh and, of course, because we're *leaving*, we're no longer going to be able to participate or beneift from this scheme.

Professor Brian Cox has a few things to say about that...

We spent many years presenting the U.K. as the best place in the world to do science. Science is one of the fundamental foundations of our economy. These figures demonstrate what happens when a country trashes its international reputation. Hard to build, easy to destroy.

And so do the Royal Society:

- UK’s annual share of EU research funding has fallen by half a billion Euros since 2015
- Almost a 40% drop in UK applications to Horizon 2020
- 35% fewer scientists coming to the UK through key schemes

https://royalsociety.org/news/2019/10/brexit-uncertainty-harming-uk-science/

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 January 2020, 01:09:42 pm »
So fazersharp seems to think funding research and innovation and bringing it together under one roof where efforts can be concentrated, rather than being scattered piecemeal all over Europe is a bad idea.
You seem to be making things up, I never said any such thing.And is Brian Cox the best you can do -- the Jonny Morris of the science world  :rollin
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 30 January 2020, 02:08:14 pm »

Content removed.

Whilst many people may agree with what was posted here, it is pushing the boundaries of what some people think is normal these days.

Transphobia = the fear of people who cannot tell if they are male or female.
« Last Edit: 31 January 2020, 08:19:53 am by BBROWN1664 »

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #16 on: 30 January 2020, 06:24:22 pm »

I thought the original reply was sarcastic - joking one.

Anyway, that's what happens when political correctness overcomes the common sense.

As far as computer-driven cars: I would be surprised if, by the time my grand-kids get to the driving age any person is still allowed to drive a car - humans will surely be considered too unreliable. Just like new cars today can't be sold without an ABS (correct me if that's still allowed within the EU at least).
« Last Edit: 31 January 2020, 08:20:24 am by BBROWN1664 »
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 31 January 2020, 01:32:03 am »
Yes, that's what i'm doing, i'm FORCING people to tell the truth.
Are you a man, or a woman?
It ain't a difficult question.

Thank you for proving you're an ignorant bigot.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 31 January 2020, 01:37:05 am »
Anyway, that's what happens when political correctness overcomes the common sense.

"I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect' "

- Neil Gaiman.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 31 January 2020, 01:43:34 am »
You seem to be making things up, I never said any such thing.

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the deafening noise of those dog whistles...

And is Brian Cox the best you can do -- the Jonny Morris of the science world

Cox studied physics at the University of Manchester. He earned a Bachelor of Science degree with first-class honours and a Master of Philosophy degree in physics.

He completed his Doctor of Philosophy degree in high-energy particle physics at the University of Manchester.

His thesis, Double Diffraction Dissociation at Large Momentum Transfer was based on research he did on the H1 experiment at the Hadron Elektron Ring Anlage (HERA) particle accelerator at the DESY laboratory in Hamburg, Germany.

Cox is a Royal Society University Research Fellow, a PPARC Advanced Fellow, and particle physicist at the University of Manchester and he works on the ATLAS experiment at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN.

He is working on the research and development project of the FP420 experiment in an international collaboration to upgrade the ATLAS and the Compact Muon Solenoid (CMS) experiment by installing additional, smaller detectors at a distance of 420 metres from the interaction points of the main experiments.

Cox has co-authored several books on physics including Why does E=mc2?[38] and The Quantum Universe, both with Jeff Forshaw.

I can explain the big words to you if you want...

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 31 January 2020, 05:19:28 am »

"I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect' "

- Neil Gaiman.

It's those 'other' people again?
And as for Neil Gaiman, does he know me? I've never heard of him myself, but he's very entitled to his personal random statements, just like everyone else is.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 31 January 2020, 05:23:27 am »
You seem to be making things up, I never said any such thing.

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the deafening noise of those dog whistles...

And is Brian Cox the best you can do -- the Jonny Morris of the science world

Cox studied physics at the University of Manchester. He earned a Bachelor of Science degree with first-class honours and a Master of Philosophy degree in physics.

He completed his Doctor of Philosophy degree in high-energy particle physics at the University of Manchester.

His thesis, Double Diffraction Dissociation at Large Momentum Transfer was based on research he did on the H1 experiment at the Hadron Elektron Ring Anlage (HERA) particle accelerator at the DESY laboratory in Hamburg, Germany.

Cox is a Royal Society University Research Fellow, a PPARC Advanced Fellow, and particle physicist at the University of Manchester and he works on the ATLAS experiment at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN.

He is working on the research and development project of the FP420 experiment in an international collaboration to upgrade the ATLAS and the Compact Muon Solenoid (CMS) experiment by installing additional, smaller detectors at a distance of 420 metres from the interaction points of the main experiments.

Cox has co-authored several books on physics including Why does E=mc2?[38] and The Quantum Universe, both with Jeff Forshaw.

I can explain the big words to you if you want...

I don't think you're even doing Brian Cox any favours by introducing him like that.  :lol

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 31 January 2020, 08:46:57 am »

Yet I still want to punch that perma-grin off his face every time he’s on TV or radio...

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 31 January 2020, 09:09:44 am »

Content removed.

Whilst many people may agree with what was posted here, it is pushing the boundaries of what some people think is normal these days.

Transphobia = the fear of people who cannot tell if they are male or female.

Okay, i hear you, fair enough.
'Some' people sound like the ones that need to tick the 'other' box then, i guess.

I don't "fear" these people at all by the way, i just don't necessarily comprehend their way of thinking, call me old school if you wish. But then there are plenty of standard male or female people i don't get either so it's all a bit of a moot point anyway.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 31 January 2020, 10:22:15 am »

- Neil Gaiman.

"I started imagining a world in which those on the far left who preach the most about 'treating other people with respect' started showing some towards those who hold perfectly reasonable legimate views that don't conform with their own"

-YFF