Date: 28-03-24  Time: 15:28 pm

Author Topic: How far when fuel light starts flashing ? GEN 2 ONLY  (Read 15352 times)

tony_d123

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: How far when fuel light starts flashing ? GEN 2 ONLY
« Reply #25 on: 13 June 2015, 09:02:42 pm »
There is about a gallon left when the F-trip comes on, so if you are careful you can get around 40 miles. I normally get around 100-120 miles until it comes on, depending on how I am riding.
On a tour I brim the tank, that means on the centre stand fill it to the neck, then slowly dripping another litre in as it fills the air pocket.
I once got just over 150 motorway miles before finding a petrol station, but was panicking and nursing it the last 20 miles. I managed to get 16.5 litres in so there can't have been much more than a litre left in the tank.
« Last Edit: 01 July 2015, 07:26:10 am by tony_d123 »

DekF

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Fast as fck s1r
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 13 June 2015, 10:40:30 pm »
Yeah i'm Worried about my trip away fuel stations etc. Ive got a givi 2.5 litre fuel can but wondering what sort of max distance people have had.

Paul, enjoy your tour of Wales, they sell fuel as well as speeding tickets, you'll be fine  :)
I did 7 tours in 8 years each of 3k+ miles of western Europe on your bike. This included Sunday jaunts in France & it never ran dry.
The farthest on reserve I saw before refuelling was 35 miles. I used to look at refuelling at the 90 ish marker & before but not always when the reserve warning lit.
When we're touring Europe we look at stopping for fuel as an opportunity to take a breath, have a chat & maybe a coffee. It is afterall meant to be a holiday  :)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 14 June 2015, 09:35:10 am »
Very true Noggy quick release fuel cap= quick use of the fuel. I'm gonna get a custom map done for my bike I think as I haven't had one done since changing a few things also find out what bhp she is pushing our any excuse tbh.

I thought that most of the popular mods would if anything slightly improve mpg s they all seem to be aimed at getting rid of the orohibitive/restrictive junk.

I thought your bike was pretty much as powerful as they get but id be interested to hear how you get on with a dyno...i know engines tend to lose BHP with mileage but i wouldnt say your mileage has got to that stage yet...merely run in eh ;) ........if i had a decent dyno place nearby id be interested in having a spin up just to see......i always perceive my bike as a bit of a heap so to know how healthy the engine was might confirm or change that idea a bit.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

brooker81

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Busa,Fzs600,
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 15 June 2015, 11:11:11 am »
Booked some dyno time for a custom map and BHP run. next tuesday 1pm lets see.

DekF

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Fast as fck s1r
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 15 June 2015, 12:20:15 pm »
Think back to 2006 when the gen2 came out there was little or no dyno & fuelling info available. Things have moved on a lot. I spent a lot of time & expense getting it sorted. It took a few visits to the dynocentre & at least a hundred dynoruns to get it to perform at it's best. The revisits were necessary as I kept adding/changing things.
The first time it went it was mapped at all throttle positions & rpm, this took a full day as no maps were available. The final revisit a few months later was for a remap with the following mods:
PC3
Ignition module
FCE
DNA airfilter
Modified airbox
No secondary flies & spindle
Scorpion endcan
Factory Pro velocity stacks
The full throttle runs were 147rwhp & the part throttle runs were also optimised for best power.
I didn't get it dynoed with the full Akra but it usually gains 2-3 ponies up top with a full system so you should be at about 150. Having said it's unlikely you'll see those figures in the summer, you need a cool, crisp day :-)
Now, 9 years later there's a wealth of good info & some really good maps available for all configurations. If I bought another gen2 I'd just try a couple of maps for the closest configuration & settle on the one that felt best. I'd also get the ecu reflashed.
The dynoruns are online somewhere, including the old foc-u site & FZ1oa, I'll try to find them. :-)

brooker81

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Busa,Fzs600,
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 15 June 2015, 12:30:15 pm »
Let she how she does. I will post results up next tuesday night. I have thought about the Ivans ECU flash just havent got round to it maybe i will get Fazertim to take my ECU with him on holiday. For now lets see im hoping for around 149/150 region only time will tell.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 15 June 2015, 12:34:07 pm »
There was a guy on here not too long ago had got his ECU reflashed & he couldnt praise it enough......he had also kept his exup and claimed it was better with it which is controversial......but the reflash sounds like the way forward for sure.

What things have you added that might change BHP brooker?......have you tried the maps available online and did they change the mpg with much significance.

For me personally, bike being more ratty etc, im gonna disconnect the o2 sensor next & install the smaller flies that Dek kindly gave me and then im gonna just try out a few of whateve maps are free online and see.......tbh the other day the bike was flying and it is in a right dodgy state of tune (basically the previous owner had just fitted a ivans FCE & punched through the cat but did bugger all else :rolleyes ) [size=78%] so i think ill be over the moon when it is sorted out.[/size]

brooker81

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Busa,Fzs600,
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 15 June 2015, 12:40:35 pm »
Changed the end can and threw on a set of arrow headers. Tried out a few maps from the fz1oa, but wanting to get a map thats exactly right for the bike instead of borrowing other peoples. A few of the maps are good Johndaddy82 and Perfection Avaraged is another good one. Obviously the Dek map is good but was made without the headers so I'm not really sure how much that would effect the setup. I think for a 100 quid to get a proper map its a place to start then get the ECU flashed in the Winter. Mpg seemed to be about the same but the maps i used sometimes the bike just didn't run right i did try a map and the fuel light went on around 70mile so cleary something wasn't quite right. Also the maps used where from the states so i'm wondering if the fuel is the same as ours. 

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 15 June 2015, 01:51:03 pm »
I have tried quite a few maps over the last six months from the fz1oa site and I have also wondered if their fuel is the same as ours as some of the maps that get good feedback  over there definitely do not work on my bike even though the mods are meant to be the same. I have always thought that american petrol is lower octane as standard than uk petrol but do not know for certain.

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 15 June 2015, 06:14:54 pm »
I have tried quite a few maps over the last six months from the fz1oa site and I have also wondered if their fuel is the same as ours as some of the maps that get good feedback  over there definitely do not work on my bike even though the mods are meant to be the same. I have always thought that american petrol is lower octane as standard than uk petrol but do not know for certain.

There is a lot of confusion about US v Euro fuel.

The numbers on the pumps over there are lower but use the MON system, we use RON. When you actually cross reference the ratings 95RON (premium over here since hardly anywhere sells 91) is about the same as 88/90MON over there and will be what the yanks are sticking in their tanks - so the myth NA fuel is somehow inferior doesn't hold true, regardless of Jeremy Clarkson thinks. Seeing as they oxygenate their fuel (well some states anyway), that might have a bearing, but is probably more obvious in vehicles with knock-control (when will Yamaha actually start using knock sensors? they been in japanese cars for 3 decades...) which can dynamically manage advance to keep it optimal and just inside the pinking envelope.

Ballpien

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 16 June 2015, 07:20:43 pm »
With stage 3 mods I have managed to get 155 out of a tank, this was with f-trip flashing for around 35 miles. That's with jondaddy82 map on a pcv, and the tank brimmed
« Last Edit: 16 June 2015, 07:22:16 pm by Ballpien »
“This anti-climax reminded me of the time when my girlfriend said she needed her ring widening and we walked straight past Superdrug to H.M.Samuel”

brooker81

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Busa,Fzs600,
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 17 June 2015, 08:07:43 am »
Ballpien What sort of riding where u doin ? Motorway/twisties etc?

Yamrider

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 19 June 2015, 05:51:08 pm »
I had a ride out on my own today. The flashing fuel block starting blinking at 142 miles. I brimmed it (ready for Sunday's ride to Snett for BSB !) and got 3.13 gallons in - dribbling the last bit before I got fed up with doing that! It worked out at just over 45mpg. No engine mods, just a Scorpion Serket stainless steel end can.

Ballpien

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 21 June 2015, 08:17:51 am »
Paul,that tank was used for my commute. A combination of quick motorway/A road riding on the way in and town/twisties on the way home.

Out yesterday with a K2 and R1, about 100 miles of twisties and 15 miles of A120 and I'm going to get nowhere near 155, that's with tank brimmed too
“This anti-climax reminded me of the time when my girlfriend said she needed her ring widening and we walked straight past Superdrug to H.M.Samuel”

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 29 June 2015, 12:18:02 pm »
Ive had a few trips to work and the odd blast and yesterda the light came on flashing at 110 miles which i thought was pretty good........i then got to 115 miles before i filled up.

I managed to squeeze in 13.8 litres....say 14 litres on side stand asthats all ve got.

So i had about 3 litres left...just under a gallon......lets say i got 30 miles from that remaining fuel that takes my grand total to 145 miles.

Ties in nicely with Tonys comment above.....almost identical figures.
« Last Edit: 29 June 2015, 12:21:19 pm by noggythenog »

brooker81

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Busa,Fzs600,
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 29 June 2015, 12:28:47 pm »
Will report of MPG on wales tour i'm prob gonna get close to running out.

davey boy

• DAS Born Again
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 29 June 2015, 09:06:55 pm »
Just got back from a tour up in scotland and got 150 miles every tank and that was fully loaded with panniers tank bag and tail pack and we didnt hang about ,got a speeding ticket at the green welly stop

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 29 June 2015, 09:15:27 pm »
I used to get 115-120 to the light if I was lucky!
Went -1 on the front sprocket and that dropped the tank range to less than 110 miles! (it went like a crosser though!) Shocking for a sports tourer if you ask me.
Just one of the reasons why I sold her on.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

brooker81

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Busa,Fzs600,
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 30 June 2015, 04:33:20 pm »
Set for blast off for trip on Friday can't wait although it's hot out there. Managed to squeeze 135 mile out of the tank today .

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 30 June 2015, 04:46:57 pm »
How far people my light goes on at 90-105miles how much is left? I thought the gen1 guage was inaccurate but the gen2 is just as bad if not worse.

The fuel gauge on the gen 2 is actually pretty accurate mate - they just have a small tank and aren't particularly efficient!

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 30 June 2015, 06:14:44 pm »
Maybe this thread should be how much fuel you can get in the tank when you fill up after the last bar starts flashing plus how many miles you did. :)
Unless every fuel sender unit is set  exactly the same  on every FZ1 then there will be differences in the mileage done before the last bar flashes, and each rider fills up his tank differently, some squeeze as much as they can in and others like me just  fill to top on sidestand and it is probably different each time, or am I just talking bollocks?

davey boy

• DAS Born Again
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 30 June 2015, 10:23:25 pm »
I get an extra litre in if i have the patience to trickle it in on the centre stand after it reaches the bottom of the filler tube prob get more but havent got the patience

tony_d123

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 01 July 2015, 07:26:43 am »
There is about a gallon left when the F-trip comes on, so if you are careful you can get around 40 miles. I normally get around 100-120 miles until it comes on, depending on how I am riding.
On a tour I brim the tank, that means on the centre stand fill it to the neck, then slowly dripping another litre in as it fills the air pocket.
I once got just over 150 motorway miles before finding a petrol station, but was panicking and nursing it the last 20 miles. I managed to get 16.5 litres in so there can't have been much more than a litre left in the tank.

UPDATE - I went to Assen at the weekend and on the return motorway trip at 80/85 I got to 148 miles before F Trip started flashing. Was 160 miles when I filled up and it took 14 litres so still had around 30-40 miles left! A new record for me, maybe the new scorpion exhaust has helped?

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 05 July 2015, 05:31:11 pm »
I've been out today - filled up [but not 'slow-brimmed' the tank], and put some in a can in the topbox, reset trip A and off I went. Got back and the bike is at 175miles with some fuel still sloshing in the bottom. flashing single bar at 135miles. Probably half a dozen miles more, will see.
« Last Edit: 05 July 2015, 08:02:03 pm by pilninggas »

brooker81

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Busa,Fzs600,
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 06 July 2015, 08:29:27 am »
Managed 45mpg this weekend and no fuel light even at 120 miles but wasnt the place to take the tank any lower.