Date: 29-03-24  Time: 12:59 pm

Author Topic: CBF1000 - WTF  (Read 15022 times)

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
CBF1000 - WTF
« on: 30 August 2012, 07:34:53 pm »
Decided to get myself another "general bike" for all round bad weather and commuting. Trying to keep the Gen2 for nice weather. Didn't want another Gen 1 as I've had 3 of them so "done that".  :)
So I thought I would have a look at the CBF1000 since there is one going cheap near me and they get good reviews.
Having owned a CB1300 previously I have first hand experience that Honda UK are a pile of cack and build quality on bikes is lacking I thought I would do some research. With this in mind I visited the CBF1000 Forum.  :rolleyes
WTF........ why would anyone buy a Honda. Build quality issues, duff batteries, duff stators, wobble issues that dealers cannot fix, vibration issues that dealers cannot fix, having to take off the fairing to replace a bulb.....the list goes on.
Now the Yam's are by no means perfect in any way but the the issues listed on this Forum pale into insignificance compared to the issues with the CBF.
So stuff the idea of getting a CBF....I'm sticking with Yamaha and now going to look for a cheap Gen 1  ;) 

Raymy

• Erection Services Foccer
    Brighter than a ZippoFirelighter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - There is only 1 Gertrude
    • View Profile
Re: CBF1000 - WTF
« Reply #1 on: 30 August 2012, 07:40:45 pm »
How about a Hyosung. Great bikes. Reliable, immense build quality, great electrics, fast, comfy, look the shizzle, 2 up touring a breeze, great warranty, amazing dealer back up.
Smell ones mother. Yaas!

Hodge

• Foc-U suck-up-to-admin and good taste in bikes Foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GSX650F
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 August 2012, 08:17:06 pm »
How about a Hyosung. Great bikes. Reliable, immense build quality, great electrics, fast, comfy, look the shizzle, 2 up touring a breeze, great warranty, amazing dealer back up.

Yer a lyin feck  :rollin

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 August 2012, 08:19:39 pm »
Don't they also make blenders or something  :D
My criteria is 1000cc (ish) with fairing, low(ish) miles, and easy(ish) to work on for 3k  ;)

rayburn600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger Sport- V-Strom
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 August 2012, 08:46:37 pm »
Kawasaki ZRX1200s.
Twin headlamps, good faring, good screen, comfortable.
A few good low mileage bikes about.
"My criteria is 1000cc (ish) with fairing, low(ish) miles, and easy(ish) to work on for 3k  "

:D

Pat

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 August 2012, 08:57:10 pm »
You'd get a nice half-faired 1200 Bandit for that money, would fit all your criteria.

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 August 2012, 09:07:53 pm »
To add to the CBF1000 saga my father-in-laws 12 plate with 3000 miles on the clock is with the dealer and has been for over a week. it conked out while he was riding and wouldn't start again. last time i spoke to him they had replaced the ignition coil and this has not fixed it... in short they do not know what is wrong lol.
He currently has a Honda crossrunner as a courtesy bike and hates it lol

Ironically he px'd a nice 1250 bandit for it and i think he wishes he hadn't

How about a V-strom 1000 or a TDM900?
Lord,
Grant me the WD-40 to move those things that are stuck, the Duck tape to fasten those things that are loose, And the wisdom to know the difference.
Amen

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 August 2012, 10:16:06 pm »
To add to the CBF1000 saga my father-in-laws 12 plate with 3000 miles on the clock is with the dealer and has been for over a week. it conked out while he was riding and wouldn't start again. last time i spoke to him they had replaced the ignition coil and this has not fixed it... in short they do not know what is wrong lol.
How about a V-strom 1000 or a TDM900?
Pretty much my experience with Honda UK and my CB1300. Great bike let down by poor build quality and really poor Honda service. Parts were exceptionally expensive with David Silvers seeming to hold a tight grip on spares and you pay a premium for them.
Never fancied a Suzuki as their reputation for falling to bits at the first sign of moisture put me off  :)
Have been looking at the ZRX1200s but all the good ones are too far from me. Had a ZRX1200R briefly but sold it after 8 weeks for a Gen 1 funnily enough as the Yam was by far a better bike. 

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: 31 August 2012, 09:37:25 am »
I have had a CBF1000 now for two years as it was the closest I could get to a Gen 1 on a recent registration plate. I haven't problems with mine.

the CBF forum is nothing like this forum. you only get the moaners on there compared with here so you only hear of the problems.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
  • Horwich, Bolton, NW UK.
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: 31 August 2012, 09:46:56 am »
I've had two of them! Bought one brand new in 2006, but got shut of it because it was extremely boring! Nothing really
wrong with the bike, it just lacked excitement. Then in 2010 I came across one VERY cheap, so gave it a go. Shouldn't
have bothered cos it was just as dull as the previous one. The finish on these bikes is most definately a bit iffy. And that's
coming from a big Honda fan!

QUENTIN TARANTINO - HALLOWED BE THY NAME!

Rusty

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 August 2012, 10:15:07 am »
Got any bigger photo's Tom?

AND it's nice to hear you finally admit that H*nda's have feet of clay.  :lol
I've known maddog for many years during which time he's been a dyed in the wool Honda man!

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 August 2012, 10:36:02 am »
I had an XJ 900 previously and it was bomb proof, piss easy to work on and nothing to go wrong, cheap and went like a train.

Down side: a bit dated, a little unsexy and 280Kg.

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: 31 August 2012, 10:44:49 am »
Ooops!! That came out a bit big!

Yes, I'm a big Honda fan but have to admit that the CBF Thou is a dullard and the standard of finish leaves a lot to be desired. Things started to change when production left japan on certain models and moved to the hands of the Spanish and Italians. Even my VFR800 needed constant attention to avoid losing the finish. Then again, there's not many bikes out there that can stand the rigours of a British Summer Winter! To coin an old phrase, they just don't make them like they used to! 

Needless to say, there'll always be blokes who wrap their bikes in cotton wool and treat them better than their wifes, but should that really be necessary?? My car is 10 years old now and looks brilliant without being washed and waxed every two minutes and spending most its life in a warm, dry garage! Should we expect the same of our bikes?

In 2008 I bought a "second" bike, a Triumph TT600. It was totally and utterly MINT!!! It was exactly the same when I sold it on.  I spotted it up at Rivington Barn a couple of weeks ago and I was shocked at how fooked the bike was. I mean TOTALLY KNACKERED! It looked like one of those horrible matt black winter hacks that you see knobheads riding around on, making some sort of  "I'm a real biker" statement  :lol 

I waited around for a while to see who the owner was so I could punch his face (as long as he was smaller than me), but he was probably too ashamed to approach the bike while someone was stood next to it.

MEM62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 31 August 2012, 10:50:33 am »
In my opinion, Honda's build quality peaked in the late 90's.  I had a '98 Fireblade and the finish on it was superb.  In addidion to my Fazer Thou I also have a '98 VFR800 and the build quality on that is excellent.  It's done 40,000, takes me to Spain most years and still looks / rides like a bike with a third of that mileage.  I had an '03 Blackbird from new and the finish on that, although OK, did not match either the Blade or VFR.   

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: 31 August 2012, 11:15:45 am »
I had a 2002 Blade (954) and that had a magnificent finish. Older VFR's always look good, but recent one's just aren't the same. I've never had a Blackbird, but I must admit, I can't recall seeing a bad one.

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 31 August 2012, 11:24:40 am »
when I used my cb1000R in winter the paint on the shock fell off...was replaced under warranty easy enuff. But parts of the bike were superb quality, others were horrible.

I had a vfr750 from new, itwas perfect. CBF is a budget bike, so expect a such IMO.

Rusty

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 31 August 2012, 04:28:01 pm »
I think you've hit it there pitternator. I always thought of Suzuki bandit's as the no frills budget bikes and Honda's as having a higher quality finish. In reality I suppose all manufacturers have had to cut corners a little in order to have a less expensive line to compete with the bandits. Even BMW's tarnish these days.  :)

john roche

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000, vfr750
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01 September 2012, 09:17:10 am »
Have you thought of the last of the VFR750's. I'm on my 2nd one having run the first into the ground with lots of miles. I like it just as much as my Fazer 1000. I can get on it knowing that it'll get me where I'm going, we did 4K miles round France & Spain last year. It has carbs rather that injection so it's easy to work on. Just make sure it has a stainless exhaust as they're a pig to change. They were made at a time when Honda build quality was great and their owners tend to look after them.

Cheers

John
« Last Edit: 27 December 2012, 04:26:54 am by john roche »
The devil made me do it!

chilly

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01 September 2012, 09:43:04 am »
I know its a bit far for you but these things are everywhere. Bullet proof and a quick clean once a week will keep it looking tip top. I love em ;)
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201209452990508/sort/default/usedbikes/cc-from/1000cc/model/gsf/make/suzuki/quicksearch/true/page/1/postcode/wa13qp/radius/20?logcode=p

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 01 September 2012, 10:02:56 am »
Or what about an older GS? those things will go forever. My mate has a 1200 and loves it. He chooses it over the 7 bikes he owns for his daily ride.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-BMW-R1150GS-yellow-low-miles-R-1150-GS-/320972015229?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item4abb6c467d
Lord,
Grant me the WD-40 to move those things that are stuck, the Duck tape to fasten those things that are loose, And the wisdom to know the difference.
Amen

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 01 September 2012, 11:45:23 am »
Great suggestions on bikes. Never had a BMW or Suzuki before. Really fancy a BMW Rockster (weird I know) but not many of them around with lower miles at right price).
I have always avoided Suzuki's as I have a few mates with different models and, although they like their bikes the build quality is just not up to scratch.  Seen 2 ZRX's which are right price and condition but just too far away.
Interesting comments about build quality though. I have had 5 x Fazer 1000's and have never had any problems/isses with any of them. They worked great through winters and stood up really well to the salt. Ran my CB1300 for 3 years and it was a nightmare. Forks and shocks corroded. Casing corroded all within the first month. Brakes needed stripped every 2 weeks during the winter or they siezed.
Interesting thing about Honda was they used to manufactor all of their own parts. In 2003 they subcontracted to a Chinese company and ironically this is when their quality issues started. All for saving a few quid!!
Savings are not passed onto us though

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03 September 2012, 08:19:07 am »
All I will say on the bmw front is...try it .....you might be surprised. So much shite has been written both for and against these bikes its untrue. Look at it this way...very few bikes have had that degree of development to hone and perfect it. the VFR750 is a worthy comparison...I bought the very last new one in the country  back in 98,and it was perfect, all the bad things sorted, a jewel of a bike.Years and years of small changes to make an incredible bike.... Ride a 2012 GS and an 05 and see what 7 yrs development can do ...
Bike mag has had a big reversal in opinion this year ...starting off with massive bull ups of the Triumph Explorer , and now championing the GS, RT and S bikes...maybe just an editorial shift , but FFS they sell well for a good reason.BMW has  a worse image than the IAM !   lol
On a plus note for the CBF, a tour company I use has run these bikes for 30k+ miles with no major issues, but has  a problem with its image !..when tours are full of big expensive bikes...its slightly incongruous for the tour leader to be on an ageing 4 yr old budget  bike ...lol
Its also not that far away from the Hornet 900 which while underrated was a decent bike.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #22 on: 03 September 2012, 08:51:16 am »
The biggest problem with the CBF1000 is it is the Ronseal of bikes. It does what it says on the tin without the fuss.

You want to go quickly, it does.
You want to ride slowly/smothly, it does. All the way from 20mph to 130+ in top gear like a turbine.
You want to through it around the lanes like you did with the FZS600 or similar, it does. A 1000cc engine in a 600cc frame makes a difference. Some say it is more manouvrable than the FZS1000 becasue of this.

Give it a go, you may be suprised.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

robby boy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03 September 2012, 07:28:45 pm »
My bro in law bought a new one in 2008, he's put 20,000 miles on it, and never had any bother with it, apart from breaking keys, ( he swears they are made of cheese) he finds it heart wrenching when my FZ6 keeps up with him on a run though, he often asks am I sure its not a thou. lol.
If you worried about falling off your bike, you'd never get on.

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 04 September 2012, 04:50:39 pm »
I've got an '09 CBF600 loan bike at the moment... I've only ridden it for 30-40 mins today but it's so boring  :thumbdown  Just waiting on a couple of bits to get the Fazer back on the road and I can give it back.