Date: 28-03-24  Time: 15:36 pm

Author Topic: Clutch Slip  (Read 2807 times)

b3tarev3

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Betarev3
    • View Profile
Clutch Slip
« on: 14 May 2012, 09:58:14 pm »
I have noticed my clutch slipping slightly at around 10000 revs when pinning it's ears back, if i roll off the throttle slightly and then nail it again it stops slipping! Just had the clutch out to check and measure the friction plates and these are in spec, no warp or burning on the plates and the springs are well in spec too.

Oil is the same as i have always used. The only thing that i have noticed is that the clutch lever appears to have more slack after a few hours of hard ridng.

Anyone any ideas?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch Slip
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2012, 01:18:11 am »
Clutch cable knackered ???
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2012, 10:50:32 am »
Mine's the same.
I think the OE clutch springs are a bit marginal, but the only after-market ones I could find were about twice the stiffness and made riding in London traffic almost impossible.

OE on the right: thinner material and more turns.

Even if I had had the hand strength to operate the lever easily I don't suppose the clutch basket would have taken the strain for long.

As for what's going on in the clutch, I guess you're experiencing stiction. Once it starts slipping it tends to continue, back off for a second and the plates and friction material can lock back together, re-apply power and the surfaces stay locked because the heat you put into the surfaces the first time has thinned the oil enough.

The cable may be slightly slacker after enthusiastic use of the bike because, if you get the clutch hot enough, thermal expansion of the stack of plates (plus pushrod) is more than that of the engine casings.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2012, 11:05:14 am »
Check clutch cable free play. It can be adjusted on the lever side, and down, near the clutch. Perhaps that lower screw is too tight.

Also, check clutch cable as well as cable housing.

That's what I'd do first.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

b3tarev3

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Betarev3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2012, 07:43:49 pm »
Thanks for the replys. Looks like it's gonna be washers behind the springs then! :lol

dx408

• custard tart muncher
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Suzuki V-Strom 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2012, 07:09:01 pm »
Had similar for a few years not slipping all the time but when nailed about 7k it would rev up then "catch" and it would be fins. After putting it on a dyno at Skegness and failing to get a run out of it with out a slip I decided to sort it. New friction plates and HD springs problem sorted went to Silverstone two put with some acceleration "testing" on the way did not miss a beat easy to change (fist time for a clutch) took about 3/4 hour just taking my time did the filter and oil at the same time no problems at all. Bite the bullet and do the clutch.
Dont ask it's a chef thing
After 15 years EX-Fazer owner XJR. XJR gone FJR, FJR gone NEW FJR that's gone, now Triumph Tiger Explorer  an CB400n Superdream sold BMW 650 Funduro sold Now a R1200GA Adventure Rallye next ? OK so where next turns out to be V-Strom 1050 NEXT?

spoonlamp

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 June 2012, 09:58:43 pm »
Had similar for a few years not slipping all the time but when nailed about 7k it would rev up then "catch" and it would be fins. After putting it on a dyno at Skegness and failing to get a run out of it with out a slip I decided to sort it. New friction plates and HD springs problem sorted went to Silverstone two put with some acceleration "testing" on the way did not miss a beat easy to change (fist time for a clutch) took about 3/4 hour just taking my time did the filter and oil at the same time no problems at all. Bite the bullet and do the clutch.

How long a job is that for a mechanic? This issue sounds the same as the one I've got with mine - called the mechanic and he's going to look at it Monday morning (tomorrow). I'm hoping to pick it up at lunch time provided it doesn't turn out to need new plates or anything, they'd need ordering   :'( Only got it on Fri!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 June 2012, 11:36:04 pm »
Have a look at this, it's quite informative:

Fazer Clutch Replacement

spoonlamp

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 June 2012, 07:01:20 am »
Have a look at this, it's quite informative

Wow - thanks darssi. Think I'll be getting the Haines for this baby as soon as possible - he made that look easy!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 June 2012, 01:28:33 pm »
That was on YouTube and someone on there actually said that if you have the bike at a 45 degree gradient and on the side stand then you don't even have to drain any oil?
Not sure if that's the greatest idea, but it's possible i s'pose?
« Last Edit: 25 June 2012, 01:32:44 pm by darrsi »

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 June 2012, 01:33:38 pm »
I think you want to change the oil anyway if you are changing the clutch,,,

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 June 2012, 01:52:44 pm »
Yeah, while you're at it, makes perfect sense........

ade the blade

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - xl1000v varadero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 June 2012, 07:18:53 pm »
I think you want to change the oil anyway if you are changing the clutch,,,
agree with you totally there mate......in for a penny...... seen quite a few people doing the 45 degree thingy. duvets, cushions even matresses !!! :lol :lol :lol :lol . personally when my bike needs a rest, i pop it on its stand for a little snooze. seems quite happy with that  :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 June 2012, 11:37:30 am »
Thought it had more to do with old bits of worn clutch floating around in the oil  :lol