Date: 19-04-24  Time: 00:56 am

Author Topic: No chance of talking my way out of this one.  (Read 7638 times)

St.eve

• CBT Wobbler
  • Life's to short to blend in.
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: No chance of talking my way out of this one.
« Reply #25 on: 11 January 2014, 01:45:45 pm »
No Helmet Tut Tut
Just start commuting like this. If you break the speed limit then I would be surprised!  :lol

Crazy stunt: Chinese man rides scooter standing, facing backwards, takes phone call
Steve

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 11 January 2014, 07:47:10 pm »
Try some advanced rider training, religious observation of the speed limit might help with your speed awareness
It saves you quite a bit on fuel too!
Speed limits can be frustratingly slow though. Especially the 50mph on 3 lane roads
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 12 January 2014, 01:22:44 am »
Try some advanced rider training, religious observation of the speed limit might help with your speed awareness
It saves you quite a bit on fuel too!
Speed limits can be frustratingly slow though. Especially the 50mph on 3 lane roads

Yeah they usually are frustrating but if that's the limit then it's your decision if you want to stick to it. If you're worried about points your licence then it's probably best to get into a habit of keeping an eye on your speed. Sticking to the limit for a while helps you do this as you are continually checking your speed.
thou shalt not kick

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 12 January 2014, 01:33:03 am »
You could sort yourself more than one route to work on different roads so you don't slip into auto pilot and drift over the limit

Instead of buying a full satnav unit, you might be able to find a smartphone app that gives you alerts
thou shalt not kick

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 13 January 2014, 07:52:03 am »
surely this incident will now make you check both your speed and the speed limit. more than before ?
We shouldnt need an audible warning . Look at it another way , would you get an audible warning about a ped about to walk in front of you , a car about to pull out.
Not being parsimonious, but to survive and ride we have to be ultra aware of what we are doing on a bike all the time.
Its a shock to get  a ticket , and when its happened to me, initially you think " why me".... but  later on you accept that you just have to be whiter than white to keep a clean licence.I dont think you can just casually speed these days with impunity, my own thought is you have to know and pick yer roads to ride as such.
I feel for folks commuting cos there must be many similar roads where it is all too easy to get caught.

I dont agree that riding a faster bike will help you slow down !...you need a bike which needs a bit more effort to make speed, so you have to make  some conscious effort in getting there.
My fazer thou is a bugger for easily drifting up in speed in any gear at almost any road speeds. Constant monitoring and speed awareness is required.  :\

msmudge

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 13 January 2014, 10:08:06 am »

Are there any satnavs that actually know the speed limits of the roads?
There are plenty that include or can add speed camera warnings, but they only know the speed limit at that particular location... what I'd like is a warning that I'm getting close to the "summons" speed wherever I am, not just at certain spots.

CoPilot on iPhone will do this. But of course you have the problem of mounting it. But not impossible.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 13 January 2014, 02:57:41 pm »

This morning's commute was done at speeds that wouldn't have raised a copper's eyebrow... and god, it was dull. Those swoopy bits of flyover were much more enjoyable when tackled 20 mph faster. :lol
Still, it has to become a habit, the alternative routes are either horrible (A30) or add too many miles (M3/M25/ M4 or A40).
Oddly, I've always managed to avoid speeding past the Gatso by the Shell garage... even when huge chunks of the journey have been done on "autopilot" and I've not been conscious of having slowed for the camera, I've done it automatically. So it must be possible to reprogram my brain that the "fast" bit of A316 is a no-fun zone.
It'd be nice to have an audible reminder as a back-up though.

Thanks DryRob/msmudge: I'd forgotten there was a copy of CoPilot on my iPhone3, I never checked out its capabilities as it doesn't work well enough to be useful (possibly a duff connection to the internal antenna). It did get a location for my back garden once, but it took half an hour and has never known where it is since. Maybe a new phone is the best solution. Mounting shouldn't be a problem as I don't need to be able to see it, it can stay in my pocket (provided it can get a signal there).

pitternator: I agree that a faster bike is no solution! Whether it's one that has me scared of unintended powerslides and wheelies or something that feels as relaxed and comfortable at 140 as the FZS600 does at 80... it's going to lose my licence for me (or worse).
« Last Edit: 13 January 2014, 05:23:03 pm by Fazerider »

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 13 January 2014, 04:34:56 pm »
There's only one way outta this Fazerider.

You're gonna have to swap your Fazer for CristoT's  Pug 106 :eek

You'll struggle to hit the speed limit :D
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 13 January 2014, 05:30:22 pm »

Definitely not. :rollin
I already have a slow car. Also, I've seen the pictures of what ChristoT does to bikes... wouldn't sentence my beloved Fazer to that fate. :lol

RobG UK

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 13 January 2014, 05:33:10 pm »
You were speeding on the way TO work.  Are you mad or do you work in a strip club?
As for speeding in general.  What is there in town worth speeding for?, if you can do over a ton then you need to find a real road!  and if its popular with motorcyclists its also popular with the police

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 13 January 2014, 06:23:19 pm »
There's only one way outta this Fazerider.

You're gonna have to swap your Fazer for CristoT's  Pug 106 :eek

You'll struggle to hit the speed limit :D

Foc off! It is actually nice to drive! No :faz, but it will happily do speed limit +. ;)

Definitely not. :rollin
I already have a slow car. Also, I've seen the pictures of what ChristoT does to bikes... wouldn't sentence my beloved Fazer to that fate. :lol

Foc off ya bastard! :P
The Deef's apprentice

redthunder

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 13 January 2014, 07:03:50 pm »
My advice for what its worth would be to leave home 5-10 minutes earlier. I have a 15 minute commute but generally leave about 40 minutes before my shift starts, allows for anything unexpected on the way and i'm never rushing or chasing the clock. If I need petrol or want to check the tyre pressure I have time to do it and still have time to get changed and get a cuppa in at work before the shift starts.

If there is one thing I have learned in the 18 months i've sat on a bike it is to never be in a hurry. And it's worked well for me so far  :lol

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 14 January 2014, 12:31:48 pm »
DO NOT REMOVE YOUR EARPLUGS...............your hearing is far too important to foc up

"I think that once you have reached the point that you can outride the bike".........unless your Rossi then you'll never outride a 600 as the bike will do anything you ask of it. 
fire never sleeps