Date: 29-03-24  Time: 07:02 am

Author Topic: lowering rear end  (Read 2807 times)

nivek24

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
lowering rear end
« on: 09 January 2020, 10:23:24 am »
Just bought this 2010 fz6 s2, and find it a little too high for my little legs, i have seen on ebay you can buy a part to lower it by 35mm.
Does this fit on the bottom of the shocker, if so does the bottom it just unscrew off, then screw the new one on.
thanks

kev

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Re: lowering rear end
« Reply #1 on: 09 January 2020, 04:04:19 pm »
I did that with mine. Although the bike was a 2009 model and only six years old, the bottom link bolt was seized and it took me two days to get it out as you cant drive it out from the back. Once the shock was off, the existing eye on the bottom of the shock was seized onto the thread of the piston. I had to carefully cut off the eye with a hacksaw without damaging the thread. So be warned, if the shock has never seen any grease, you may have a couple of days patient work in front of you. Start now by giving the bottom mounting some penetrating oil. You'll need the rear wheel out too.

If it all comes off nice and easy, then yes, its one screws off and one screws on. If I remember correctly, I used cable ties to hold the spring from expanding ( lots of them)

Once you've done, you may want to drop the front through the yokes a similar amount.

Then you will have to shorten the side stand to suit the new lower height of the bike.

Nothings ever easy is it :)

nivek24

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 January 2020, 08:07:45 pm »
Hi, when you removed the bottom part did you notice what the difference in length between the new and old, i was thinking the new one would be shorter, if so could the old one be machined on a lathe to make it smaller in length.

kev

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 January 2020, 08:58:03 am »
Hi, when you removed the bottom part did you notice what the difference in length between the new and old, i was thinking the new one would be shorter, if so could the old one be machined on a lathe to make it smaller in length.

kev

No, I never checked the difference in the length as I had to cut the old one off anyway. I suppose you could shorten the existing one, if you can get it off without damage, four jaw chuck and face off the threaded end. Then youll have to drill and tap out the thread to maintain the correct depth

nivek24

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 January 2020, 09:41:12 am »
Thanks for that agricola, i had the early fazer 1000 and had to lower the height on this bike.
To do do this i bought dog bones and the difference between the new and old bones was only about 3 or 4mmm, but this lowered the seat by about 25mm.
I know the FZ6 set up is different.
Just going out to have a look at the set up, now the weather is a bit warmer

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 January 2020, 03:31:26 pm »
I've just lifted the hugger off and measured the distance from the centre of the fixing bolt to the end of the eye, where it butts up to the plate. Its 50mm

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #6 on: 10 January 2020, 04:32:06 pm »
Is this the sort of lowering kit you're looking at? No dog bones on the FZ6 (unlike say the FZS600), so shortening shock like this is your option.

I fitted one of these MFW kits on my wife's CBF500 a while ago. It appears this FZ6 kit is pretty much same deal and same setup. And just like agricola mentioned, everything on our CBF was seized up like a bitch. Though that CBF had been run year round as commuter hack for 10 years with no rear hugger... Tried everything, freeze spray, flame, impact drill / hammer, the lot. In end had to squeeze a hack saw blade into hinge to saw it off... As the FZ6 has a hugger as standard, I'm surprised it also got that bad...

Be careful on compressing the spring, if it pings out you'll have someones eye out! There are proper tools for this job, bit brave trusting cable ties... :-) I took our CBF shock to AllBikeEngineering (near Blackwall Tunnel), who serviced it, re-gassed it, put new piston rod in and swapped on the MFW end piece for me (about £200 ish if I recall). Then obviously refitted with all new bolts, bearing, bushes etc. If I recall some of the original bearing parts aren't reused with the MFW link though.

Either way, it's held up fine for several years hence, my short arse wife is happy. Note we did also have to push front forks through yoke to match drop on rear. Then found bike stood way too upright on side stand, so that needed to be chopped down a re-welded (£50 job by local garage).

Full write up on my blog if you fancy reading more.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 January 2020, 05:26:26 pm »
Is this the sort of lowering kit you're looking at? No dog bones on the FZ6 (unlike say the FZS600), so shortening shock like this is your option.

I fitted one of these MFW kits on my wife's CBF500 a while ago. It appears this FZ6 kit is pretty much same deal and same setup. And just like agricola mentioned, everything on our CBF was seized up like a bitch. Though that CBF had been run year round as commuter hack for 10 years with no rear hugger... Tried everything, freeze spray, flame, impact drill / hammer, the lot. In end had to squeeze a hack saw blade into hinge to saw it off... As the FZ6 has a hugger as standard, I'm surprised it also got that bad...

Be careful on compressing the spring, if it pings out you'll have someones eye out! There are proper tools for this job, bit brave trusting cable ties... :-) I took our CBF shock to AllBikeEngineering (near Blackwall Tunnel), who serviced it, re-gassed it, put new piston rod in and swapped on the MFW end piece for me (about £200 ish if I recall). Then obviously refitted with all new bolts, bearing, bushes etc. If I recall some of the original bearing parts aren't reused with the MFW link though.

Either way, it's held up fine for several years hence, my short arse wife is happy. Note we did also have to push front forks through yoke to match drop on rear. Then found bike stood way too upright on side stand, so that needed to be chopped down a re-welded (£50 job by local garage).

Full write up on my blog if you fancy reading more.

Yep, thats the same piece of kit I used, comes complete with the bearing fitted.

The hugger on the FZ6 doesn't stop the crud from firing up onto the shelf where the attachment is though

nivek24

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 January 2020, 06:17:11 pm »
I've just lifted the hugger off and measured the distance from the centre of the fixing bolt to the end of the eye, where it butts up to the plate. Its 50mm

thanks Agricola, will measure mine, had a good look at the set up today, left it soaking in penetrating oil and will do this soaking for a few weeks, hoping it works
I don't now the maths in working out the effect of turning 2mm off the length of the  bottom mounting and how much that would lower the the bike, i don't want it 35mm as the ones advertised, maybe about 10-15mm

kev

nivek24

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 January 2020, 06:23:22 pm »
Hi Arfa, thanks for you're experience with fitting the lowering kit.
My bikes a 2010 with only 5500m on it, suppose it will still be difficult to remove i have left it soaking in penetrating spray and will do this for a few weeks, then try to remove it.
cheers

kev

cl1ve2004

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - vstrom 650 al8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 January 2020, 09:38:42 pm »
I used 2 ratchet straps from screwfix (small narrow ones) to compress the shocker spring on my old thou..probably work here by the sound of it.. and safer than cable ties.

nivek24

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 January 2020, 02:13:05 pm »
I used 2 ratchet straps from screwfix (small narrow ones) to compress the shocker spring on my old thou..probably work here by the sound of it.. and safer than cable ties.
[/
q
that sounds like a good idea Clive, will try that when remove the shocker

nivek24

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 March 2020, 07:56:52 pm »
evening all, tried to get the bottom bush out of the rear shocker, no luck wont budge, i have been soaking it in penetrating oil for a few weeks,tried warming it then mole grips on the bit sticking out, its solid.
Does anyone know if this bush passes through the swingarm mounting on both sides of the shocker or just one as i tried tapping it through from the offside of the bike but it sounded solid, i didn't want to hit it too hard incase i damaged swingarm mounting brackets for the shocker.
So if anyone has managed to move or remove this bush with out damaging the frame, would you share it please.

thanks

kev

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 31 March 2020, 11:33:31 am »
evening all, tried to get the bottom bush out of the rear shocker, no luck wont budge, i have been soaking it in penetrating oil for a few weeks,tried warming it then mole grips on the bit sticking out, its solid.
Does anyone know if this bush passes through the swingarm mounting on both sides of the shocker or just one as i tried tapping it through from the offside of the bike but it sounded solid, i didn't want to hit it too hard incase i damaged swingarm mounting brackets for the shocker.
So if anyone has managed to move or remove this bush with out damaging the frame, would you share it please.

thanks

kev

If I remember correctly, the bush goes up to a shoulder. It was a bastard to get out. I red heated an old hex key that fitted inside the bore of the sleeve several times, and shoved it into the bore of the bush to transfer some heat into it, soaked it, then got a small sharp old wood chisel (youll need the wheel off), and from the left side of the bike, start to use it as to punch onto the exposed surface of the sleeve. It should raise a burr on the surface to slowly punch out the sleeve. Keep soaking and heating. Thats how I got mine out. Another option may be to try an easiout, screw it into the bore of the sleeve and work it carefully, with soaking. Failing that, you could try running a tap down the bore and creating a screw thread, then use a stack of washers and a bolt to draw it out.

Youve disconnected the shock top mounting bolt, yes?

nivek24

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 31 March 2020, 06:43:54 pm »
I still have the top mounting fixed.
So you think the bush goes through the swingarm bracket on the right side, passes through the shocker and then locates on the left swingarm but does not go all the way through, (have i got that right).
The nut and bolt then holds the bush and its only the bolt not the spacer that goes through the swingarm left bracket.
Tapping the bush sounds a good idea, is it not hardened, snapping a tap would be of a problem.
What a crazy bit of engineering.
Think i will try the warming up of the bush,

thanks for info

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 31 March 2020, 07:51:34 pm »
I still have the top mounting fixed.
So you think the bush goes through the swingarm bracket on the right side, passes through the shocker and then locates on the left swingarm but does not go all the way through, (have i got that right).
The nut and bolt then holds the bush and its only the bolt not the spacer that goes through the swingarm left bracket.
Tapping the bush sounds a good idea, is it not hardened, snapping a tap would be of a problem.
What a crazy bit of engineering.
Think i will try the warming up of the bush,

thanks for info

Take the top mounting bolt out, its loading the bottom through the spring. The bush goes through the right hand lug, through the bearing, but not all the way through the left hand lug. Yes, the surface will be hard enough to work with the bearing, but I was able to punch a groove in the surface with a small chisel, and use that groove to drive it out. Took some though. If youve a dremmel or similar, grind a groove in it and use that to punch it out

nivek24

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 31 March 2020, 08:08:44 pm »
Cheers for that Agricola, will give it a go

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #17 on: 01 April 2020, 01:56:08 am »
tried to get the bottom bush out of the rear shocker, no luck wont budge,

It's a really stupid piece of design by Yamaha :(

I've read of people welding a bolt into the bush etc to get enough leverage to shift it...!

nivek24

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01 April 2020, 03:50:20 pm »
Got it out Agricola, the bush goes through the right hand mounting, through the bottom shock needle bearing and just locates on left mounting and held in place by the fixing nut and bolt, like Graham says a crazy bit of engineering.
Now to get the bottom bit off, looks like it just unscrews, suppose that will be solid too.
Thats for tomorrow

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 01 April 2020, 07:19:16 pm »
Got it out Agricola, the bush goes through the right hand mounting, through the bottom shock needle bearing and just locates on left mounting and held in place by the fixing nut and bolt, like Graham says a crazy bit of engineering.
Now to get the bottom bit off, looks like it just unscrews, suppose that will be solid too.
Thats for tomorrow

Well done. Bit of forward thinking next, make a groove/indent slot or something in the section of the sleeve that you can see when its in, and fit the sleeve with that in a position where you can get a punch drift onto it when it has to come out agian. Plenty of grease when refitting

Just to cheer you up, I had to cut the bearing block off the screwed rod too, as it was seized solid. I cut down one of the right angled corners carefully with the hacksaw, leaving about 1mm to 2mm of ali before exposing the crests of the threads. Then filed away the remainder until the crests of the threads started to show. Then repeated that on the opposite right angle, then carefully prised off the block.