Date: 28-03-24  Time: 10:48 am

Author Topic: sneaky speed scamra's.  (Read 7726 times)

johnakay

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - tracer 700
    • View Profile
sneaky speed scamra's.
« on: 18 June 2015, 08:14:57 pm »
coming home on the A170 from scarborough .
I notice a grey coloured camper van on the left at the top of the bank on your left just outside of burniston village.
didn't think much of it ..just thought a strange place to park up.
about 2 or 3 miles further up another camper van of the same colour(grey) with the back facing the oncoming traffic.
I immediately thought the crafty bastard.
stopped at the whistle stop cafe in whitby.
talked to a guy who said that scarborough police hire these at £500 a week hire to use for speed cameras.
he got caught coming from Helmsley road ,no warning sign's or stripes etc.
it seems that they are doing the same as combria's police were doing but with new camper vans,cumbria police were using  old vans disguise as work vans.
so beware guys when your heading to scarborough.
If I wanted to make a life-long career out of
working with the mentally retarded I would
have opened a Harley Davidson Dealership!

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
Re: sneaky speed scamra's.
« Reply #1 on: 18 June 2015, 10:01:07 pm »
Its always something with the police up north, either scanning people faces without permission or using morally dubious tactics in the name of generating revenue.

johnakay

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - tracer 700
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 June 2015, 01:17:10 pm »
if I've got caught I'll be contesting it thats for sure.
no warnings and unmarked scamra van.
I thought these have to be marked etc.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 June 2015, 01:25:22 pm »
I thought these have to be marked etc.
You do some research on this as it differs from one police force to the next, and from what I have read most do what every the f**k they please (Safety be-damned)
« Last Edit: 19 June 2015, 01:26:39 pm by b1k3rdude »

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: 19 June 2015, 01:47:04 pm »
if it was about safety they would use highly visible policing not hidden cameras that people spend so much time looking for, they are not looking at the road.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 June 2015, 03:08:39 pm »
I thought they had to be high vis but a quick search comes up with these? one of which is not high vis.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 June 2015, 03:31:28 pm »
A lot of Police forces have web sites to check where cameras are going to be:

http://www.northyorkshire.police.uk/10958

Could it be they think this is all they need to do?

And totally agree with BBROWN. If it was about safety, they'd make them highly visible, as that's what slows people down, actually seeing them.

johnakay

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - tracer 700
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 June 2015, 04:28:52 pm »
had a look on that web.
the dates on the data log only go to the 7th of june so that is about much use as a chocolate fire guard.
they may not be speed camera vans but it seems a coincident that it so happen to have the same vans and colour about 2 miles apart.
they just look like ordinary camper vans not big ones just about the same as normal vans.
no stickers or owt.we'll soon see if I get the NIP. :o

Farjo

• Consultor de administración
  • GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 June 2015, 06:59:27 pm »
I've never really understood the argument that all cameras should be highly visible. If you go to the Notting Hill Carnival they have visible policemen which keeps people lawful within a certain radius of them, but you bet there are undercover cops around for when the uniforms are out of sight. And you wouldn't lower the mugging rate with only uniformed police - they would just rob people somewhere else; you need undercover police to actually catch them.

In all* other areas of crime there are under cover operations so why not speeding?

ps it's probably futile to say that I don't a fight I just want it explained, but there it is.

(*possibly)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 June 2015, 07:18:54 pm »

In all* other areas of crime there are under cover operations so why not speeding?

Because they're always insisting it's about safety, and not raising revenue, or catching criminals. If it were about safety, a visible deterrent is what slows people down. If people don't think there are cameras around, they speed.

That's what really annoys me about it. If it's NOT about safety, don't say it is.

If they were actually to catch every speeder every time they speed, everybody would be broke, banned, and likely the country would completely grind to a halt. But the treasury coffers would be overflowing, so that's alright.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 June 2015, 08:00:09 pm »
Odd one the visibility thing. If people know where they are they speed up to them, slow down then speed back up.  If you don't know where they are then your more likely to reduce your speed throughout or get caught...
Intentionally left blank

Farjo

• Consultor de administración
  • GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 June 2015, 08:35:33 pm »

That's what really annoys me about it. If it's NOT about safety, don't say it is.

Yes fair enough. "Safety" was presumably some spin doc's invention, the dicks. I always thought the yellow gatsos should be called "Are you paying attention" cameras which nobody could argue with.

johnakay

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - tracer 700
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 June 2015, 09:04:33 pm »
if its all about safety then how come that the speed camera debt in Hartlepool  closed down when the government decided that they were to hand over the all the speeding fines to the treasury.
can't remember the name of them.
they even had a web with all their details of success .
at the height of their game  you couldn't go any where around here with out seeing a speed camera.
every day you would see one but now,
you only see them now and again.
so its all about safety you say??

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 June 2015, 09:51:26 pm »
so its all about safety you say??

Er, nobody here did.

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 June 2015, 10:37:50 pm »
the only way to make it truly safety wise is to have average cameras on every road, that would make it "fair" and make sure everyone kept at a "safe" speed.

It's a weird one though, I suppose, by popping up here and there more speeders get a fine, if you are joe average the fine and points probably does make you think and slow down in future, thus it "stops" people speeding.

BUT on the other hand I do hate the sneekyness of it too.  I hate how because of some spin doctoring they started calling them safety cameras, it comes across as they are treating us like idiots "if we change the name to safety everyone will be on board" I think the renaming made it worse.

BUT, another but, if we didn't speed we would have nothing to worry about, would we? It's like I know I'm not going to go down for robbing banks because I don't,(well, not until I've put on another 15 stone, then I will and I'll buy us all Fazers and they won't send me to jail !!  :D

It's the placement of some cameras I hate, for a biker especially some are more dangerous.  2 examples:

A2 in Faversham, Kent, sittingbourne bound, there is one by a school.  30mph, no probs with the speed etc and a camera to make sure we are being good outside the school (another) BUT, it's right by the busy entrance to the school and opposite a junction.  All of a sudden, I'm more worried about my speedo than important things like kids running across the road in front of me, cars pulling out of either the school or the opposite junction.

2nd badly placed one.  Dartford tunnel, Essex bound, so this little shit bag on the way to the Essex LOFO ride.  20mph limit through the toll removal works, now for those that know this area, 10+ lanes of tolls turns into 2 tunnels of 2 lanes.  Cars are darting this way and that to "get in lane"  At this time I am more worried about my lifesavers whlie crossing to my lane, worried about cars moving to their lane and worried about the general space around me.  20mph is a slow speed indeed on a bike and not one we are used to judging from engine revs etc, so once again, at a time when I should be concentrating on my safety, I'm more worried about my speedo.  Plus the camera is right as you enter the tunnel and just before you can go back up to speed, so IMO it's there purely to catch people thinking they are out of the 20mph zone.

Right, after all that, anyone know the way to speakers' corner?  8)
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 19 June 2015, 11:10:23 pm »
Of course, average speed cameras don't stop speeding. They stop you doing more than the average speed between two points. Long stretch of 70mph and 50mph along the A127, but during rush hour you can quite happily speed up to 80 after your crawl at 30, as long as you know where the cameras are. Of course they are all front facing cameras, so bikes are exempt anyway  :D

johnakay

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - tracer 700
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 June 2015, 12:25:16 pm »
its the only minor crime  committed where you get penalise twice.3 points and £100 fine
and I'm not talking of being way over the limits .my niece got points/fine for doing 31mph.

and if you get 6 points then your penalise even more by the insurance.
if you burgled a house you get community service etc.
gbh jail no fine the list goes on.
it just seem to me motorist are easy target.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20 June 2015, 02:02:29 pm »
I thought the leeway was always 10% + 2mph? Avoids any doubt or speedo error.  So you should only get done for a true 36+mph in a 30 limit.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20 June 2015, 03:15:46 pm »
Depends on the council / area and the means by which they catch you... meaning fixed place cameras (like Gatso and Truvelo) often use different trigger points to the Radar guns that police use as well as mobile vans

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20 June 2015, 04:20:11 pm »
Trigger points are one thing, but somebody has to decide whether to prosecute. Thought the 10%+2 is across the board. Never heard of anyone being done for 31. Given the inaccuracies of cameras a good solicitor would have a field day with 31 but would have trouble with 36

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 June 2015, 04:28:31 pm »
Got done for 45 in a 40 in the cage a few years back by a camera,  I have never heard of that 10%+2 thing before.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 20 June 2015, 05:33:33 pm »

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 20 June 2015, 06:56:58 pm »
Going by those guidelines is probably the reason I got offered a driving awareness course instead of a fine.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #23 on: 22 June 2015, 09:25:59 am »

I have never heard of that 10%+2 thing before.

Several years ago the association of chief police officers decided that +10%+2mph was the minimum that they would do people for to avoid clogging up the system with people that were only 1mph over the limit.
Theoretically all cameras would be set to use this threshold (46mph in a 40mph, 79 in a 70 etc) so that the films would last longer too.
Some police forces ignored it (North Wales) and others go a bit higher.

Your speedo is legally allowed to read anything between 70 and 77mph at a true 70mph. If the cameras go off at 79+ your speed could be showing anything from 79-89mph (allowing for allowed errors) meaning you have no excuses.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22 June 2015, 09:59:24 am »
I guess the catch how is the move away from film and towards digital storage. A simple 3.5" Hard Drive fitted inside could potentially store hundreds of thousands of photos