Date: 18-04-24  Time: 23:54 pm

Author Topic: Cast your eyes over my calliper pistons and tell me if they’re shot  (Read 897 times)

redmandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Hi guys

As the title says. I didn’t remember to take photos of the others before sticking them back in the callipers, these are probably on the better side but not much between them all.

This is after cleaning with brake cleanr and a light sanding with 400 grit. There was a clearly visible line of dirt when I got the pistons out and all the corrosion is in that area, above the seals, so I don’t think there’s an issue but it’s always good to have all your opinions.

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Personally I’d stick them back in. I’ve seen a lot worse! If you’ve got an oil stone it would be worth dressing up a bit and a polish with a Dremel.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Personally I’d stick them back in. I’ve seen a lot worse! If you’ve got an oil stone it would be worth dressing up a bit and a polish with a Dremel.

Same as.
The corroded bits at the top are the exposed parts anyway so so need to worry so much about that area, just make sure you're not shy with the red rubber grease and i reckon they'll be fine.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
I use phosphoric acid and a toothbrush rather than abrasives to get rid of rust spots on the pistons, but those do look as if you can get a bit more use out of them.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
The one on the right  looks has corrosion at the edges which does not have contact with the seals however the one on the left one appears to have more corrosion, but difficult to be sure with the picture. Put up a better picture of the right one.