Date: 28-03-24  Time: 11:29 am

Author Topic: Exhaust DB levels  (Read 2711 times)

albuquerqueturkey

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Exhaust DB levels
« on: 25 July 2020, 09:12:06 am »
Anyone know what the uk laws are regarding this. Was talking to guy up the street who has an 899 Panigale with termignoni exhausts, said it sounded well and asked if he was gonna take it on track...he rekons they are registered with something like 108db standard and he could have a job passing the noise regs even with stock exhaust...crazy

I know the fz1 is 95db static at 5500rpm and according to Scorpion its within 2db of this. Im not a fan noisy cans anymore and with the baffle in i find it about the same as stock in lower revs.

What i dont get is that all i can find about uk rules is a figure of 80db...is that supposed to be at idle or something? I think that would be struggle for lots of stock bikes.
.anyone know??

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Re: Exhaust DB levels
« Reply #1 on: 25 July 2020, 10:07:55 am »
Anyone know what the uk laws are regarding this. Was talking to guy up the street who has an 899 Panigale with termignoni exhausts, said it sounded well and asked if he was gonna take it on track...he rekons they are registered with something like 108db standard and he could have a job passing the noise regs even with stock exhaust...crazy

I know the fz1 is 95db static at 5500rpm and according to Scorpion its within 2db of this. Im not a fan noisy cans anymore and with the baffle in i find it about the same as stock in lower revs.

What i dont get is that all i can find about uk rules is a figure of 80db...is that supposed to be at idle or something? I think that would be struggle for lots of stock bikes.
.anyone know??

Varies from track to track. At Donington on Wednesday it was 98, some trackdays there are 105 but thats the open pit lane days. Some are checked static, some have trackside sensors. The Honda Fireblade stock system will struggle to pass at a standard trackday

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 July 2020, 11:17:27 am »

Is there a noise limit on motorcycles UK?

82-86 decibels is the current maximum permitted noise level for a motorcycle, the bracket depending on engine size. Most police forces use 90 decibels as the limit to take account for the effects of any wear and tear.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

albuquerqueturkey

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 July 2020, 11:51:22 am »

Is there a noise limit on motorcycles UK?

82-86 decibels is the current maximum permitted noise level for a motorcycle, the bracket depending on engine size. Most police forces use 90 decibels as the limit to take account for the effects of any wear and tear.

But if you take that on face value then a lot stock bikes are illegal, especially as the vin plate on my fz1 and my girlfriend's xj6 states 95db.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 July 2020, 03:47:40 pm »
« Last Edit: 13 June 2021, 04:58:27 pm by YamFazFan »

albuquerqueturkey

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 July 2020, 04:43:51 pm »
Makes sense. Ironically makes the whole thing unenforceable really if there is so many different baselines to begin with.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 July 2020, 06:29:25 pm »

It's a bit like emission levels with cars I guess. A ten year old car wouldn't pass the same emission test as a brand new model would and the same with a 20 year old car if it took a test applicable to say 2010.

I think measurable noise limits on bikes were introduced in the early 70's (?). Prior to that it was just 'must not be excessive' or words to that effect.

The fact is that anything with standard pipes made since then isn't going to be overly offensive. The current fad for completely unsilencing the exhaust on these 125's going around at the mo is what's getting on the publics' wick I reckon

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 July 2020, 08:02:18 am »

I think it unfair to apportion too much blame on 125s. (Although I think they sound dreadful with loud cans.) Mrs and I went for a walk in Upperford Copse last weekend, it's near the A32. There were many obviously large capacity bikes blatting past, clearly sporting after market cans, it was really quite unpleasant to hear. When the road noise abated it was a truly lovely and peaceful part of the world. Didn't notice any car or small capacity bike noise, just noisy big bikes.

I know I am a biker and part of the problem, I hold my hand up to that. But I think it's important to recognise that a great many bikes sport louder than stock exhausts and when in use make noise pollution which is unpleasant for all living things within an affected area. Shame on us for allowing bike culture to become unpleasant in this way.

Leading on from that why do 125 riders fit loud cans? Is it because they want to be like their big bike cousins? And the same with youngsters in their souped up Civics, wanting to be like the bike boys on their big bikes with loud exhausts? Come to think of it what does a loud exhaust achieve that's good for anyone anywhere any time?
is it clean enough?

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 July 2020, 09:07:35 am »
I am in the "what's the point of loud exhausts camp"
Mrs and I went for a walk in Upperford Copse last weekend, it's near the A32. There were many obviously large capacity bikes blatting past, clearly sporting after market cans, it was really quite unpleasant to hear. When the road noise abated it was a truly lovely and peaceful part of the world. Didn't notice any car or small capacity bike noise, just noisy big bikes.
Interesting the point about large capacity bikes and the lack of those 125's, could it be that the noisy 125's are mainly ragging around in the town and city and roads like the A32 perhaps longer distance biking which the 125 riders don't do - they just twat around the town round their mates houses. 

Also its the "full chat" I think that creates most noise - which is why you noticed the bigger bikes on the A32 and why 125s seem to be the problem around town because the 125s are at "full chat" around town (40 mph)  :lol     
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 July 2020, 10:32:09 am »
Should anyone feel the need to buy one, Lidl will be selling Sound Level Meters next Sunday 2 Aug. They’ll be £9.99 and measure between 30 to 130 dBA, with two sampling speeds. I won’t be in a rush to get one :lol .
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

albuquerqueturkey

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 July 2020, 11:39:16 am »
Bludclot im with you, i love the countryside and am lucky enough to be in the cotswolds. Ive just repainted the stock exhaust and was pleased with the results and will most probably be putting it back on i rekon. 10 years ago i was running about on a decatted bandit 1250 with a shorty open can. I must have be a right annoying twat to everyone around me..haha

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 July 2020, 12:01:46 pm »
Should anyone feel the need to buy one, Lidl will be selling Sound Level Meters next Sunday 2 Aug. They’ll be £9.99 and measure between 30 to 130 dBA, with two sampling speeds. I won’t be in a rush to get one :lol .

You can download one on your phone or tablet for free 👍

As for the loud exhausts... i think a large part of the problem is the awful ones that manufacturers are putting on as stock. 90% of my decision of which end can I buy is based on the way it looks. Not sounds.
I'd be more than happy to have an Akra (or equivalent aftermarket can) that was no louder than stock just for the look.
With all this Euro BS getting worse each yeah the stock exhaust are getting seriously laughable. The worst that spring to mind in the 2017+ GSXR 1000. A lovely bike that looks like someone had spray painted a kitchen bin and stuck it to the side. Its that bad that even my local Suzuki dealership do a deal where they throw in an aftermarket can when you buy a brand new one, because they know nobody likes it 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 July 2020, 12:56:54 pm »
Interesting the point about large capacity bikes and the lack of those 125's, could it be that the noisy 125's are mainly ragging around in the town and city and roads like the A32 perhaps longer distance biking which the 125 riders don't do - they just twat around the town round their mates houses. 

Also its the "full chat" I think that creates most noise - which is why you noticed the bigger bikes on the A32 and why 125s seem to be the problem around town because the 125s are at "full chat" around town (40 mph)  :lol   
Peoples experiences of this issue appear to vary depending on where they live.
There's not many that own bigger bikes around this way and those there are tend to go out and return just once per day.

There is however several youths on completely unsilenced four stroke L-plate bikes who seem to come and go numerous times throughout the day. The bikes are deafening and they're using the throttle in such a way as to maximise the din. There's a kind of competion amongst them as to who can make the most anti-social racket.
Trouble is, as far as Joe Public is concerned we all get lumped in the same bracket with them :rolleyes

albuquerqueturkey

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 July 2020, 01:36:31 pm »

You can download one on your phone or tablet for free 👍

As for the loud exhausts... i think a large part of the problem is the awful ones that manufacturers are putting on as stock. 90% of my decision of which end can I buy is based on the way it looks. Not sounds.
I'd be more than happy to have an Akra (or equivalent aftermarket can) that was no louder than stock just for the look.
With all this Euro BS getting worse each yeah the stock exhaust are getting seriously laughable. The worst that spring to mind in the 2017+ GSXR 1000. A lovely bike that looks like someone had spray painted a kitchen bin and stuck it to the side. Its that bad that even my local Suzuki dealership do a deal where they throw in an aftermarket can when you buy a brand new one, because they know nobody likes it 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Agreed. Im not anti slip on at all, i tried the app and set it up as close as i could with axle stands and my aftermarket can with the baffle in was the same at idle, maybe a couple of db at revs but it was in the garage anyway,  sounds are different to everyone and whats unbearable for some doesnt even register for others. People just need to think about where they are and have a little consideration and adjust how they are riding accordingly.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 July 2020, 03:20:01 pm »

There's not many that own bigger bikes around this way and those there are tend to go out and return just once per day.

There is however several youths on completely unsilenced four stroke L-plate bikes who seem to come and go numerous times throughout the day. The bikes are deafening and they're using the throttle in such a way as to maximise the din. There's a kind of competion amongst them as to who can make the most anti-social racket.
Trouble is, as far as Joe Public is concerned we all get lumped in the same bracket with them :rolleyes
Yes I think that is a good description of the issue - like you say the bigger bikes usually go out once and come back. The little shits on the small bikes even the mopeds instead of winding on the throttle they constantly yank on it going up the street, I think trying to make it sound like they have gears. 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 26 July 2020, 04:23:01 pm »

Yes I think that is a good description of the issue - like you say the bigger bikes usually go out once and come back. The little shits on the small bikes even the mopeds instead of winding on the throttle they constantly yank on it going up the street, I think trying to make it sound like they have gears.
Cos' we was all totally responsible and not at all annoying little twats when we had L plates wasn't we?  :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 July 2020, 05:54:29 pm »

We weren't as ear-splittingly loud as this current lot. We had Microns and Allspeeds. Occasionally someone would cut their baffles down. This lot are straight thru. I mean there's loud and there's LOUD.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #17 on: 26 July 2020, 06:09:03 pm »
Every kid knows that a loud can with no baffles = more speed and power :pokefun
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #18 on: 26 July 2020, 09:38:07 pm »
Mrs and I went for a walk in Upperford Copse last weekend, it's near the A32. There were many obviously large capacity bikes blatting past, clearly sporting after market cans,

Well it wasn't me, mine is still stock :thumbup

Thing is, aftermarket cans are bad for bikes because the exhaust system is designed to give a certain amount of back pressure. If that isn't there, hot gasses can escape from the cylinder and burn out the valves.

Also Fuel Injected bikes will try to adjust the mix to try to fix the problem...

Leading on from that why do 125 riders fit loud cans?

Because they think it's "cool" or "clever" or just because they like loud noises. It's not quite as ridiculous as the mopeds that belt around sounding like demented mosquitos, but it's getting there.

(The less said about the cager twats who run a rich mixture and then put a spark plug in their exhaust, the better...   :2guns )

Come to think of it what does a loud exhaust achieve that's good for anyone anywhere any time?
Well there's always the "Loud Pipes Save Lives" brigade who think that it makes people notice them more (which makes as much sense as riding around with your thumb on the horn button all the time).

What *really* saves lives is Defensive Riding and them not expecting everyone to get out of their way...

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #19 on: 26 July 2020, 09:40:16 pm »

I pity the poor buggers who live at Cottage Corner on the Morestead Road down here, unless they *really* love the sound of bike exhausts (or they're deaf...)

albuquerqueturkey

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29 July 2020, 05:32:28 pm »
To sort of answer the original question i came across this this the other day...

http://www.fema-online.eu/website/index.php/2018/07/09/sound/

Essentially euro 3 bikes (like mine) were subject to an 80db limit measured at 50km/h with wide open throttle. There is no mention of a static limit but it does say the number is recorded and put on the vin plate. If the police are allowing a 6 -10db buffer youd have to seriously be taking the piss to get done.
« Last Edit: 29 July 2020, 07:40:05 pm by BBROWN1664 »

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02 August 2020, 09:24:32 pm »
  • Thing is, aftermarket cans are bad for bikes because the exhaust system is designed to give a certain amount of back pressure. If that isn't there, hot gasses can escape from the cylinder and burn out the valves.
  • Well there's always the "Loud Pipes Save Lives" brigade who think that it makes people notice them more (which makes as much sense as riding around with your thumb on the horn button all the time).
  • What *really* saves lives is Defensive Riding and them not expecting everyone to get out of their way...
  • yes, but only if you then after fitting the 3rd party endcan don't then adjust the fueling to match.
  • As someone who commutes into London daily, I have to state that the other driver/s will often hear me before they see me. Evidenced by the fact I had proportionally more near-misses with the stock can than I did with the aftermarket one. My can is louder than stock, but not obnoxiously loud.
  • Indeed.
« Last Edit: 03 August 2020, 10:46:14 am by b1k3rdude »

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website