Date: 29-03-24  Time: 13:38 pm

Author Topic: Fitting spotlights - wiring?  (Read 1122 times)

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Fitting spotlights - wiring?
« on: 23 May 2017, 06:23:37 pm »

Hi All,

I’m good with mechanical stuff, but rubbish with electrickery.

My bike came with some spotlights as shown in the photo. I soon realised after I had bought the bike that the rectifier/regulator had been fried. I thought this might be due to the high current draw of these lights, so disconnected them and returned the bike to standard.

I’ve recently bought some LED spotlights, which I assume will draw less current.

Can anyone point me to a good ‘How-to’ guide so I can get my head around the best way to wire them? Or perhaps talk me through it?

The spotlights fitted on the bike have their own fuse, but are hard wired into the headlight circuit, The set of LED lights I’ve just bought come with a switch.

When I look on line, it looks like people use the switch to switch a relay? Do I need to get one?

I’m going outside now to remove the old spotlights and get my head around how they are wired.

Thanks,

Brett

-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Fitting spotlights - wiring?
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2017, 06:49:45 pm »
Depends how you want them to be operated. You should ideally use a relay for the current draw and connect that to the battery but have it wired so the switch is only live when other conditions are met such as the dipped beam is on.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2017, 07:26:40 pm »
Ok, I just had a look...

Previous owner had fitted 2x 55w bulbs.

There is a fused relay in place,

Live wires going to lights. Neutral black wires earthed to the thermostat.

2 green wires coming out of the relay. One wired to the frame the other goes into the wiring connector box under the tank. No idea what the green wires are?
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2017, 07:52:08 pm »
So, I think I have this?

I can just wire my new LED lights where the old lights were.

What is the green wire that goes off under the tank with all the wiring connectors?

How can I incorporate the handle bar mounted switch I have, so I can turn the light on and off at the bars,
but when the ignition is off the lights are off.

Thank you!!
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2017, 11:27:57 pm »

The green wire you’ve marked ??? can go to either terminal of your bar-mounted switch.
The other side of the switch needs 12V, you can take that from the high beam switch (yellow wire) if the spots are a bit fierce for oncoming traffic. Or the main headlight feed (blue/yellow or green or blue/black) if the spots are aimed down enough (or if you just don’t give a shit, like about 10% of vehicle owners).

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2017, 11:12:45 am »
Right, cool! Thanks Fazerider!

I think the green wire already goes off to some live, as I remember the previous owner had it so the spots were on all the time and I had to pull the fuse out to turn them off.

I'll just put my switch into a break in the green wire.

Off to buy some zip ties, heat shrink and crimp connectors and I can't solder with the bike on the street.

...plus if/when these crappy Chinese LED lights fail I can easily replace them with some decent ones. :-)
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-