Date: 26-04-24  Time: 19:26 pm

Author Topic: Be careful out there!  (Read 1818 times)

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Be careful out there!
« on: 29 January 2017, 11:32:45 pm »
Hi all,

I saw some poor fella get sideswiped of his bike today. He was just cruising down Whitehall, in an empty lane 2 doing about 30mph. He was riding past queuing traffic in lane 1, when a large private hire people carrier pulled out of lane 1, into him and sent him and his bmw bike sliding down the wet road. He was wearing a protective jacket, helmet and gloves, but also jeans and normal shoes/boots. He was lucky not to damage his leg and foot as he got trapped under the bike.

I guess you have to learn from other people's mistakes: Wear all the protective gear, expect people to pull out and give yourself space. He did have plenty of space to his right actually, as the road is really wide. He must have been riding close to the queuing traffic, daydreaming or fixated on the car when it pulled out.

I just felt bad for the guy, and glad it wasn't me. Unfortunately I was also with the missus, and she is already reluctant enough to get on the back of the bike. :-(

Brett
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Be careful out there!
« Reply #1 on: 30 January 2017, 12:15:18 am »
You've really got to have your eyes everywhere in central London , cyclists that do the unexpected ,pedestrians that just walk out, black cabs that u turn for a fare and minicabs that as the beemer rider found out don't want to sit in traffic cos they don't get £££ for it like the black taxis do.
I avoid London at all costs I'd rather be on a bus or the tube than a bike there these days

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 January 2017, 09:39:58 am »
Plus Uber drivers navigating purely by Satnav

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 January 2017, 10:25:20 am »
Plus Uber drivers navigating purely by Satnav
I've seen those , with the sat nav right in the middle of the drivers side of the windscreen doing stupid moves and then saying " but my sat nav told me to do it"

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 January 2017, 09:38:54 pm »
Indeed. Mate of mine nearly got taken out the other week. Uber driver just blamed his Satnav for his sudden left turn

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 January 2017, 09:11:45 pm »
I had four close calls the other day and I was in my car, focin drivers must be blind
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 January 2017, 09:13:58 pm »
I nearly had a head on earlier today. Some old biddy over taking a tractor on a long straight, didn't even pretend that she was in the wrong just came at me like a deadly game of chicken, luckily I saw it coming and had plenty of room to move out the way 😥😥

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 February 2017, 09:07:39 am »
I would hate to deny an old biddy
 their mobility and freedom of owning a car, but some of them are foccing dangerous. :-(
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

Fazer99

• Club Racer
  • Private sign do not read
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800FI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 February 2017, 03:08:43 pm »
Had 2 really close mear misses this week so far. First was a Honda Jazz that just didn't look and pulled out in my lane as they were letting someone in coming down the sliproad and the second was this lunchtime where this tit in a VW Up just couldn't stick to his lane and nearly went into the side of me, both drivers were elderly.

What makes me laugh is when you are letting them know 'in the nicest way possible' that they are being a tit they just look straight ahead and don't even try to make any gesture of apology.
RIP my beautiful red beast 1999 to 2017 😭🏍😭

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 February 2017, 04:32:01 pm »
Had 2 really close mear misses this week so far. First was a Honda Jazz that just didn't look and pulled out in my lane as they were letting someone in coming down the sliproad and the second was this lunchtime where this tit in a VW Up just couldn't stick to his lane and nearly went into the side of me, both drivers were elderly.

What makes me laugh is when you are letting them know 'in the nicest way possible' that they are being a tit they just look straight ahead and don't even try to make any gesture of apology.
I think the older drivers are scared to look in case of confrontation/ aggression , we must look a bit scary to some older folks , leathers ,helmet, some with dark visors and loud exhausts , no excuse for the shit driving and they probably shouldn't be driving but I think that's why they look ahead and don't acknowledge 

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: 01 February 2017, 04:40:53 pm »
I would hate to deny an old biddy
 their mobility and freedom of owning a car, but some of them are foccing dangerous. :-(

I am trying to find a way to get my father in law off the road at the moment. 76 next month and limited mobility and seems to be going blind too. I am scared shitless whenever I travel in his car (I only ever go in his car when I am pissed too!!)

My Mrs and her brother are scared to mention it to him. Their doctor claims he cant do anything (kin liar) and DVLA only want a self certification from him to let him keep his licence.
the Mother in law wont say anything as she doesn't drive and he is her taxi.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 February 2017, 04:51:43 pm »
It must be difficult to give up the licence you've had for 70 years or however long it must be like admitting you're no good anymore and I think some of them got a licence before there was even a test.
I think it should be the doctors duty to inform dvla if someone is unfit to drive, imagine the stink if a doctor knew someone was unfit and then they killed someone.
I think I watched one of those traffic cops programmes once where it focussed on old drivers and members of the public ( neighbours I think )phoned up about one lady who was dangerous and plod waited for her and got her licence revoked

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: 01 February 2017, 06:01:25 pm »
:agree

My Mrs spoke to the doctor and I believe in certain circumstances the doctor is legal obliged to tell DVLA but this one said it wasn't up to them. At least we have told them and our conscience is clear in that respect.
My dad had a head on crash about 20 years ago when some blind old bugger turned onto a dual carriageway and headed the wrong way. Plod removed their licence then due to them being unfit to drive.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 February 2017, 06:07:10 pm »
I personally think they should introduce a compulsory assessment by an instructor when you reapply for your license (at 70 isn't it)
Not a test but just a profesional to sit in on your driving for a few hours and assess your competence.  They could advise of any areas you could improve on or need to work on but more importantly if your a danger on the road then they can recommend that your license isn't renewed

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #14 on: 01 February 2017, 06:18:56 pm »
:agree

but I would go one step further, give the assessor the power to reject the licence renewal. If you think the assessor has made a mistake you can appeal but only once!