Date: 23-04-24  Time: 11:50 am

Author Topic: Secondhand car batteries?  (Read 869 times)

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Secondhand car batteries?
« on: 29 December 2016, 12:35:34 am »
Hi all,
I'm trying to get hold of a cheap/secondhand car battery. Any ideas where I could get one? Is that something an auto salvage company would sell and if so what should I expect to pay?

Basically, I want to charge some Li-Po batteries for a drone, but want to do it  outside and off the mains, so I can leave them charging unattended  without the fear of them burning my house down.

Any ideas?

thanks,

Brett
« Last Edit: 29 December 2016, 12:36:07 am by Bretty »
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Secondhand car batteries?
« Reply #1 on: 29 December 2016, 05:56:04 am »
They will have batteries at a salvage garage, but i doubt you'll really know what sort of condition they'll be in, although for the batteries you want to charge they'll probably be ideal for them.
There's shit loads on Ebay but obviously mainly collection only.

I would be inclined to either go to, or phone, a few local mechanics garages, tyre firms, Kwik Fits, etc, and see if they have any old ones laying about that you could have. Just tell them the truth what it's for and they might be glad to get rid of it for a small drink, or even free.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: 29 December 2016, 08:58:56 am »
My local breakers yard sells batteries. They test them with the same sort of tester you get at a garage before you take it away and give some sort of guarantee on them. Usually quite cheap compared to a new one but you don't know how old it is or how long it will last.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 December 2016, 09:20:54 am »
30 day money back warranty would be reasonable and expect to pay about half price of a new one