Date: 28-03-24  Time: 10:09 am

Author Topic: Chirping / squealing ?  (Read 2449 times)

kgjersda

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Chirping / squealing ?
« on: 04 July 2016, 01:26:22 pm »
While driving my last trip I noticed an intermittent chirping / squealing at around 45mph. It's not connected to the engine revs but it seems to be speed dependent. I can't hear it above 55 and not under 35(ish). It's hard to pinpoint the sound as there's so much wind noise. But it does seem to come from the front/beneath me.

Has anyone else had this sound? Wheel bearings? Brakes? I'm not sure, I can't find any noise when turning the wheels by hand at standstill.

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Chirping / squealing ?
« Reply #1 on: 04 July 2016, 01:31:35 pm »
Yes, when I had this chirping sound it was wheel bearings.

Andy

kgjersda

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 July 2016, 02:01:29 pm »
Thanks. I'll see to change it right away. Are there any definitive tests I can do to pinpoint it?

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 July 2016, 03:38:58 pm »
I'd work to eliminate other easy to check possibilities, then check the bearings directly.

Check there isn't anything between the front wheel and it's mudguard.
Check your chain is well adjusted and lubed. Check no tight spots.
Check type pressures and visual inspection of tyre condition. Sometimes tires can go bad and make silly noises.
Check brake caliper condition, check for binding, clean calipers if necessary.
Check there isn't a pheasant under you seat.
Other things I haven't thought of.

If you don't find anything elsewhere, then I'd look at the bearings next. Get the bike up on it's centre stand and check the front wheel for play in any direction. Check the forks (head stock bearings) too whilst you're at it. Any play change bearings.

Even if there's no play, it can still be the bearings, as sometimes when they're just starting to go bad you just get the noise without any play (yet).

You can take the wheel off and check how the bearings feel with your finger. If notchy or otherwise not free and smooth running replace.

On mine replacing the bearings fixed the silly warble noise.

Possible could be something else, just process of elimination is the best way I can advise.

HTH, Andy

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 July 2016, 06:56:32 pm »
Going through this exact same thing on my thou (I have my own thread in the FZS1000 section)

I've replaced the front wheel bearings without any success and currently I'm dealing with the rear's :)

chrischristopherson1313

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 July 2016, 08:54:35 pm »
I have something like that caused by light bulb fitting. Put piece of rubber no more noise

kgjersda

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 July 2016, 07:16:01 am »
Changed the bearings yesterday, they were worn out and cranky. No more chirping :)

Also the front wheel axle bolt was slightly bend  at the left side, hard to get in and out! I'll change it for a new straight one. Seems like the bike got a bit of a tumble on it's left side.

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 July 2016, 09:15:19 am »
Glad the noise and bearings are sorted. It'll probably feel like a new bike now. When these things go bad slowly we don't notice how it affects the handling, then when we sort them it's a pleasant surprise :)

Andy

kgjersda

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 July 2016, 11:04:14 am »
Wondering though, when I see the schematics the spacer (#8) on the right hand side should be the other way around?
With the flange towards the outside?

When I took the wheel off I noticed the spacer was "inside" the seal. So I just put it back together the way it came out. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: 07 July 2016, 11:04:50 am by kgjersda »

kgjersda

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 July 2016, 11:55:10 am »
Looking at this picture it's obvious that the spacer should not be in there by default. Seems like the other owner got it wrong. I've ordered a new  axle wheel bolt and will be refitting it as soon as I get it. I'll just take the time and see if I can fix the seal too without damaging it.

« Last Edit: 07 July 2016, 11:56:32 am by kgjersda »

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 July 2016, 04:12:29 pm »
Just a thought re your axle. Are you sure the fork legs are in correct position? If not ,then you can slightly loosen clamp bolts on upper & lower yokes and move fork legs into alignment. Dont forget to retighten bolts to correct torque setting.
PS wheel spacer goes on offside (right hand side) of bike. The speedo sensor locates left hand side.

kgjersda

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 July 2016, 05:07:02 pm »
Just a thought re your axle. Are you sure the fork legs are in correct position? If not ,then you can slightly loosen clamp bolts on upper & lower yokes and move fork legs into alignment. Dont forget to retighten bolts to correct torque setting.
PS wheel spacer goes on offside (right hand side) of bike. The speedo sensor locates left hand side.

I'll double check the fork legs any way.

Yes, I know the wheel spacer goes on the right hand side of the bike. But it is possible to have the flange of the spacer within the seal or outside. It's probably fine either way.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 July 2016, 09:09:47 pm »

I'll double check the fork legs any way.

Yes, I know the wheel spacer goes on the right hand side of the bike. But it is possible to have the flange of the spacer within the seal or outside. It's probably fine either way.
The wheel spacer "sits" part way inside the seal & abuts the wheel bearing so when you instal the axle & everything correctly positioned & tightened up there should be no sideways play in the wheel ,if you grip wheel on opposite sidesand try to rock it sideways. Wheel should rotate freely when you spin it by hand without any nasty noises or roughness

kgjersda

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 July 2016, 08:18:58 am »
Quick question. How easily should the front wheel spin? Mine seems to "drag" against the brakes.
For instance, should it be able to spin one turn freely? Half? Quarter?
« Last Edit: 14 July 2016, 08:13:55 pm by kgjersda »