Date: 16-04-24  Time: 11:39 am

Author Topic: hagon or other make shorter shock  (Read 1292 times)

butthead

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - honda cbf1000
    • View Profile
hagon or other make shorter shock
« on: 20 February 2019, 02:09:56 pm »
hi guys , im considering getting the f6 but im a bit short in the leg , i hear you can either get a lowering kit or a shorter shock, i dont know what the std length of the origional shock is ? to research a shorter one, does anyone know the dimension of the OEM shock please?

also has anyone on here used a lowering kit and found any disadvantages to lowering ( sidestand ? mainstand etc) or having to lower the forks etc.

it doesnt look like the F6 seat has a lot of meat in it to begin with to have some taken out ? anyone done so ?

id appreciate any help guidance please im looking at an F6 this weekend so id like to go with some ideas of how to lower it.

id need to get the seat or stand over height down  to circa 790 mm ideally.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Re: hagon or other make shorter shock
« Reply #1 on: 20 February 2019, 07:14:40 pm »
Chuff me, you likely pay around £400 for a new shock. Seems daft if theres nowt wrong with the old un. I lowered mine by 35mm with one of the lower mounting blocks, cost £50 if I recall correctly, and did the trick for me. Can now get both feet down and not noted any negative impact, other than the side stand. Sliced 25mm out of the middle and welded it back up, so that now wotks fine. I aslo dropped the front 30mm through the yoke, turns in nice and quick. Only trouble I had was getting the old block off the thread on the shock, as it was seized on. Ended up cutting it off, split it lengthways so that it opened up. Gives you a a chance to get some grease into the bottom mount area.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #2 on: 20 February 2019, 08:35:35 pm »
im considering getting the f6 but im a bit short in the leg , i hear you can either get a lowering kit or a shorter shock,

Here's a link to the Lowering Kit that Agricola mentions:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-FZ6-Fazer-S2-RJ14-2009-MFW-Lowering-Kit-Drop-35mm/130768980805

Do also raise the forks through the yokes to keep the handling the same, but you can also get an adjustable side stand if you don't want to have the hassle of cutting down and re-welding the OEM stand.

One other issue is that it will make it a bit more difficult to get it onto the centre stand because it's lower.

it doesnt look like the F6 seat has a lot of meat in it to begin with to have some taken out ? anyone done so ?

Yes, I was going to use the lowering kit, but eventually just got the seat cut down by about an inch (and had the sides shaved a bit). It does turn the seat into a bit of a plank after a long ride, but I'm thinking of getting a gel insert instead for comfort.

BTW I have a 30" inside leg.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #3 on: 20 February 2019, 11:27:28 pm »
Used one of them MFW shock end link on my wife's CBF500. Did trick grand once fitted. Just had a ball ache removing the old shock as bottom bolt, pivot and bearing was seized split. You should gave no hassle with FZ6 due to hugger fitted to keep crud off shock.

Note: you will need to compress the spring on the shock to swap the end link, which if you don't have appropriate tools maybe best done by a pro. A compressed spring suddenly pinging off could 'ave someones eye out..

butthead

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - honda cbf1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 February 2019, 05:00:46 pm »
hey thank for all that help and tips, once lowered how much of a bugger is it in now getting it onto its main stand for chain maintenance etc ?
is it gorilla strength req,  or just a bit harder ?

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #5 on: 22 February 2019, 10:58:50 pm »
hey thank for all that help and tips, once lowered how much of a bugger is it in now getting it onto its main stand for chain maintenance etc ?

I couldn't say, as I've never done it.

Personally, though, getting it on the main stand even when *not* lowered is a pain for me 5'7", 10 stone.

I have to put my foot on the centre stand "step", push it down until it won't rock from side to side (ie both legs of the stand are on the ground), then, holding on to the grab rail and handlebar, straighten my leg and lift (with my other foot off the ground) to get it onto the stand!

Of course you could buy a cheap paddock stand instead :)

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 February 2019, 07:51:01 pm »
is it gorilla strength req,  or just a bit harder ?

You wont need to be a gorilla matey. Im 5'6" and 10 1/4 stone and I can do it no problem. Dont do it with your slippers on though, youll feel it on your sole. Youll have more trouble with the sidestand if you dont shorten it.