Date: 28-03-24  Time: 17:51 pm

Author Topic: R6 rear shock on the FZS600  (Read 59454 times)

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: R6 rear shock on the FZS600
« Reply #25 on: 01 August 2013, 09:14:55 pm »
Great, thanks for the info. I think I might give this a go! Shall pm you in a mo, hope you don't mind.

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08 August 2013, 03:28:39 pm »
Short update.
As the 'projection' dogbones still hadn't returned the rear to standard height, I had a pair of bespoke ones fabricated, 127mm from hole centre to centre.
Handling has got better with the slightly raised rear & bump energy transmission is even less than before.
They are 8mm thick & have no taper in order to give extra rigidity. Bit more blingy too, but that unfortunately highlights how grotty the rest of the bike is  :o   I've attached a pic of the rear wheel when the bike is placed on the centre-stand - does this look closer to the ground than standard?
Yes, I have a Thunderace rear caliper fitted  :)
 I have attached other pics of the custom dogbones compared to standard / 'Projection' plates.

Project R6 rear shock now complete.  :D

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 05 September 2013, 05:42:36 pm »
My modified R6 shock and dogbones from Kebab19 arrived earlier this week and I got round to fitting it yesterday. The shock and bones fitted easily and I greased all the linkage bearings whilst I was there. I went with a heavier spring than him, 700lb/ins, and dogbones that are 1mm longer at 128mm which brought the ride height to about standard, in fact probably marginally taller. I only weigh about 75kg with gear but take a pillion and hard luggage on a regular basis which is why I opted for the heavier spring.

Must say a big thank you to Kebab, his help and advice was invaluable and the work done is top notch. I'm looking forward to doing his debrix emulator fork mod next as the improved rear shows up the front end making it seem even harsher than before!

Need to set sag, test ride some more and make more adjustments but couldn't be happier with the swap so far  :D

« Last Edit: 05 September 2013, 08:31:26 pm by Fuzzy »

wezdavo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 954 fireblade
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 23 October 2013, 05:32:07 pm »
I fitted a R6 shock at the weekend and the past few days I have been putting it through its paces..

I went for a Faulkner 725lb spring and 127.5 mm dog bones..

I am 95kg geared up and to get a rider sag of 32mm I am on preload position 7.

Rebound is set @ 13 clicks out, low speed  @ 13clicks out and high speed @ 2.5 turns out..

The bike feels fantastic, very planted.

The dampening control is amazing!

A big thank you to Kebab and Fuzzy for all there help
« Last Edit: 23 October 2013, 08:19:35 pm by wezdavo »

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 23 October 2013, 05:46:52 pm »
Dogbones look good, does it get in the way of adjusting the rebound?

Glad it worked out for you too  :)

Thought I'd also share my specs and current settings:

• 700lb/inch spring
  • 128mm dogbones
  • Rider sag 33mm on notch 5 @ 75kgs geared up
  • High speed comp: 3 turns out
  • Low speed comp: 16 clicks out
  • Rebound: 15 clicks out

Still needs more saddle time to test these settings but in any case it's way better than the stock shock.

wezdavo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 954 fireblade
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 23 October 2013, 06:24:22 pm »
Dogbones look good, does it get in the way of adjusting the rebound?

Glad it worked out for you too  :)

Thought I'd also share my specs and current settings:

• 700lb/inch spring
  • 128mm dogbones
  • Rider sag 33mm on notch 5 @ 75kgs geared up
  • High speed comp: 3 turns out
  • Low speed comp: 16 clicks out
  • Rebound: 15 clicks out
Still needs more saddle time to test these settings but in any case it's way better than the stock shock.

Hello bud, dog bones worked out well, they don't effect rebound screw at all..

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 23 October 2013, 08:10:33 pm »
And then there were three  :lol
Well done, Wez, you now have the same front & rear end setups as me...as will Fuzzy (shortly).

The R6 shock is indeed quite a piece of kit for a standard manufacturer's part: I really can't imagine the full spec Ohlins shock when fitted being significantly better. When you consider that Hagon's basic unit is nearly twice the price, it's actually a bit of a bargain - about £100 for conversion on top of the shock's price. 

« Last Edit: 27 October 2013, 07:01:12 pm by kebab19 »

Fraser

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 27 November 2013, 06:12:48 pm »
Bump, I've picked up a R6 2009 shock with both comp adjusters together and it looks identical to all the other R6 shocks in this thread but the eye distance measures 290 mm ? does this sound right or have I bought the wrong shock !! also the top mount is only approx 15mm OD which will leave 3mm of material after being drilled out to accept the 12mm top bolt, does all this sound ok ? any advice would be very welcome, thanks
Old enough to know better

savvy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 27 November 2013, 08:40:29 pm »
Hi, Can anyone tell me please which fzs1000 year rear shock for fzs600 1998 fitting. Will a 2004 do the job?
Cheers Barrie

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 27 November 2013, 08:48:53 pm »
Bump, I've picked up a R6 2009 shock with both comp adjusters together and it looks identical to all the other R6 shocks in this thread but the eye distance measures 290 mm ? does this sound right or have I bought the wrong shock !! also the top mount is only approx 15mm OD which will leave 3mm of material after being drilled out to accept the 12mm top bolt, does all this sound ok ? any advice would be very welcome, thanks

Sounds like the correct shock to me. Because the shock is shorter you must use shorter dogbones to maintain ride height (as per earlier posts in the thread with more details). As for the top mount, I think most of the thou guys who've done this mod (of which there are many) have had it drilled it out and I am not aware of any failures to date so it should be fine, as long as it's drilled straight and done properly.

Fraser

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 29 December 2013, 12:11:44 pm »
R6 shock now fitted with 700lbs spring, very fiddly to get top mounting bolt in whilst juggling the 2 spacer washers but hopefully I won't be taking them out again LOL.
Just need to get out on the road to sort the  final settings.

Huge thank you to everyone involved in the R&D of this mod, 
Old enough to know better

wezdavo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 954 fireblade
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 29 December 2013, 01:47:04 pm »
R6 shock now fitted with 700lbs spring, very fiddly to get top mounting bolt in whilst juggling the 2 spacer washers but hopefully I won't be taking them out again LOL.
Just need to get out on the road to sort the  final settings.

Huge thank you to everyone involved in the R&D of this mod,

Well done mate ;)

I used superglue for the spacers..

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 30 December 2013, 06:53:08 pm »
Yay, one more of us in the club!

dcurzon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Internet of Things
« Reply #39 on: 01 January 2014, 06:22:06 pm »
Got a shock on its way, will go for 725lb spring as always carrying. Just need risers. Is everyone going for the 6" faulkners spring? If so, I'll need the bit to make up the gap

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 02 January 2014, 05:58:32 pm »
Haven't been around the site for a while but good to see others slowly embracing 21st century rear suspension  :)

'Dcurzon' - PM me if you still require the spacer for the 6 inch spring

dcurzon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Internet of Things
« Reply #41 on: 21 January 2014, 03:25:28 pm »
getting there...
Shock - sitting in my garage.
Spring Spacer - on my desk.
Dog Bones - on my desk.
Spring - 725lb's ordered and waiting on it.
Whats left?  Drill the upper mount and get some 5mm spacers - nope! 
I'm attacking in a slightly different direction.  I'm going to sleeve down the M12 holes to match the shocks M10 fitting.  Advantage - I could refit the OE shock and still have a good, undrilled R6 shock.  Oh, and this should be easier than trying to fiddle about with spacers.  So the M12 bolt will be going and an M10 bolt fitted in its place.

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 21 January 2014, 03:30:34 pm »
Nice one, I like that idea. Let us know how you get on and your initial impression of the new shock (and perhaps what settings you have if you have time) once you have it on, I would be interested.

Have you made any improvements for the front end yet?

dcurzon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Internet of Things
« Reply #43 on: 21 January 2014, 03:49:51 pm »
nope. its my daily city commuter so when i do things, i have to plan in such a way that it'll be off the road for as little time as possible.  The shock is going in for its 50,000 mile birthday.  I always have a 52l box on the back with weight in, so i'm not expecting to transform the handling into an R6, just improve it a bit.  When the shock goes in, i'll be removing the swingarm and linkages for a deep clean and grease up.  i was thinking of getting some powder coating done, but to be honest its pointless, so a good scrub will be the better and cheaper option.
The R6 shock that i have barely has any mileage on it at all - the bike was briefly ridden before being race prepped.

Front end needs a good strip down at some point, i'll probably go as far as painting the lowers and putting 15wt oil in (i had sponsorsip from Silkolene and then Castrol, pretty sure i have a selection of unused fork oils laying about somewhere), doubt i'll do anything too dramatic though.  Think i read on here about some cheap emulators, i'll look more into that after the shock's done, which i doubt i'll get finished until late february.

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 21 January 2014, 04:04:49 pm »
Yes, I use my bike in the same way so I know it can be awkward to find a good time to get major work done - especially if you have to work outside and need decent weather!

I have a Wingrack (heavy thing) & 52L topbox like you and it's an improvement believe me. Taken panniers and pillion ontop of that and it was still miles better than before so you won't regret it. Not too awkward to adjust the preload either.

If you can find the time to do the cartridge emu mod, do it! It's fantastic and the fact that it's so cheap to do is a bonus. Best results are with springs matched to your weight though.

Ontop of the above, I've dropped the yokes by 3mm and it's perfect for me, don't think I can do much to improve the bike now (apart from cleaning off all the winter crap)

dcurzon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Internet of Things
« Reply #45 on: 24 January 2014, 05:33:19 pm »
Made in steel, should do the trick quite nicely... Anyone know what length the upper mount bolt is?  I'm guessing 65mm, so i just need to pick up an M10x65 and i'm ready to go...
oh, not quite... spring should be with me on monday, would a set of these do the trick, or am i likely to lose an eye/rib/hand?
http://www.screwfix.com/p/coil-spring-compressor-kit-2-piece-set/45986?cm_sp=Search-_-SearchRec-_-Area1&_requestid=195528

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 24 January 2014, 05:49:38 pm »
Nice spacers  ;)

I think those spring compressors are for cars (?) and a few people (such as some coil spring compressor vendors on ebay) have claimed they are too big & therefore of limited use.

e.g. Ebay item # 201019989805 "If you have ever tried to use car spring compressors on a bike spring you will know how easy it is to do irrepareable damage to the shock unit with oversize compressors"

My own compressors are the same design as that fella & they worked well in conjunction with a half-decent vice & a 2 foot breaker bar to turn them

dcurzon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Internet of Things
« Reply #47 on: 15 March 2014, 12:42:33 pm »
Got the spring fitted. Taking a long time as I'm suffering injury!

The Faulkner isn't a great fit, but should be ok

dcurzon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Internet of Things
« Reply #48 on: 16 March 2014, 04:55:46 pm »
Done. Whilst the missus was at the park with the kid. Took the swingarm off for a good clean and grease up whilst I was at it.

I was nearly stumped as I needed an m10 x 75 bolt for the upper fixing, but found an m10 x 80 in wickes which fitted. I'll probably hunt down a high tensile bolt for that at some point.

Top hat spacers (cad design further up this page) did the job nicely.  They had been turned slightly out of spec so had to take about quarter mm off each side to get the shock in. Can't grumble as they were knocked up for a pint!

dcurzon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Internet of Things
« Reply #49 on: 17 March 2014, 10:28:34 am »
Pic of test fit with the swingarm off
All fitted :)

My photos not so great though

I can't get the c spanner onto the pre load, so resorted to old fashioned long chunky screwdriver and rubber mallet.
« Last Edit: 17 March 2014, 11:06:22 am by dcurzon »