Date: 25-04-24  Time: 16:09 pm

Author Topic: Too hot at idle  (Read 1667 times)

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Too hot at idle
« on: 06 December 2016, 05:22:15 pm »
Noticed recently that my bike has been getting stupidly hot really quick while idling. The temperature guages shows 70degrees about 60 seconds from start up. The temperature rises 2degrees every few seconds until I start to ride, Then it's fine. Stays around 70-80 while I'm moving but as soon as I stop it quickly rises again?
Also there is a strong 'hot' smell that seems to radiator from the front of the engine/downpipes area.

Only thing I've changed recently is the fuel map so that's my first assumption, I'm also gonna flush the coolant as I don't know when it was last changed. Other than that I'm at a loss? Anyone have any other ideas?

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Too hot at idle
« Reply #1 on: 06 December 2016, 05:31:55 pm »

I would check the thermostat, sounds like it may be stuck closed.  Even if it isn't the check will give you peace of mind.
is it clean enough?

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 December 2016, 06:52:46 pm »
If it's started since you changed the mapping then it's probably that , that strong hot smell from the pipes / engine is a sign of incorrect mixture , can you change the map back and see what happens ??

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 December 2016, 08:21:06 pm »
Yeah I'm gonna change the map tomorrow to see if that helps it, if not then I'll start looking into mechanical failures like the thermostat. I hadn't really considered that but I've just read on another forum that someone's thermostat went on on 07 fz1 after 400 miles so suppose anythings possible 😕😕

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 December 2016, 06:03:28 pm »
My 04 had a hot smell kinda like burning rubber tonight but I'd done sixty miles in wet crappy conditions so I'm hoping it's just muck on the down pipes, will give its pukka Thursday wash tomorrow and check it out

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 December 2016, 06:28:14 pm »
Could be the crap on your pipes, my Toyota truck is the same, if I have been up muddy lanes and get home it smells of burning.
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

DekF

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Fast as fck s1r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 December 2016, 09:19:41 pm »
70 - 80* whilst on the move & creeping upto 102* at a standstill before the fans kick in is perfectly normal.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 December 2016, 01:24:50 pm »
Yeah I'm starting to think that could be the case.
I've changed the map to the dynojet one for my mods but nothing has changed it still smells of hot metal and still seems to get hot quick.
Also when I pull up I notice some sort of smoke/vapour coming up in front of my headlights? But I'm guessing that could be water on the pipes because it's not there constantly, more just when the light catches it?

Does anyone have any idea how long it takes for the fans on a gen 2 to kick in if its started from a cold and left to idle?