Date: 19-04-24  Time: 12:37 pm

Author Topic: Engine oil level question  (Read 2180 times)

melons

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Hornet900
    • View Profile
Engine oil level question
« on: 23 March 2016, 06:51:57 pm »
Hi

Maybe a daft question but I've not had this happen on previous bikes.
I changed the oil & filter on my Gen2 a couple of weeks ago (Motul 300V overkill and K&N204 filter), filled to max level as marked on the eyeglass whilst the bike was on it's centre stand, ran the bike for a couple of minutes, then topped up again, to max mark.

Since then, when the bike is on it's side stand the eyeglass (often but not always) shows only a thin layer of oil at the very bottom of the aperture (below the minimum level mark), but when the bike is on it's centre stand the eyeglass shows that the bike is full to the max level mark.

Is this a Gen2 quirk, or is something amiss

Thanks in advance

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
Re: Engine oil level question
« Reply #1 on: 23 March 2016, 07:07:36 pm »
Thats normal :)
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

melons

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Hornet900
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 March 2016, 07:33:00 pm »
Thanks nickodemon, that puts my mind at rest :)
« Last Edit: 23 March 2016, 07:33:32 pm by melons »

DekF

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Fast as fck s1r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 March 2016, 10:13:35 pm »

Come on man, are you serious? Ifso, best check the fuel tank as well to see if the petrol does the same. :rolleyes
If the fuel in the tank is level when on the centrestand, check that when it's leaned over onto the sidestand that it stays level but that more liquid is on the lowest side of the tank.
If not, report it to the Royal Society as the laws of physics are outdated. :lol

melons

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Hornet900
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 March 2016, 07:38:37 am »
I was expecting that kind of reply DekF :\ , but in my defence my previous bikes (Honda's) haven't had this issue (hence the question). Also, how do you then explain the eyeglass occasionally  showing as full when the bike is on it's side stand - no consistency  :)
« Last Edit: 24 March 2016, 07:39:18 am by melons »

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 March 2016, 11:32:19 am »
If you're checking the sight glass just after having put the bike on the stand after a ride, oil will be running down it from the cylinders / head and make it look as if the oil level is full. It can take a good few minutes for the oil to drain down into the sump and filter which is why the general advice is to check the oil level on the centre stand with a warm engine after the bike has been allowed to stand for 10 minutes.
The only reason this wouldn't happen on another bike is if the layout of the sump had some kind of well next to the sight glass, otherwise as DekF said it's not possible for a liquid to ignore physics or gravity.
« Last Edit: 24 March 2016, 11:33:00 am by PieEater »

melons

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Hornet900
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 March 2016, 01:09:17 pm »
Thanks PieEater

I realise it may appear that I'm in a hole and should stop digging :( but I'm not daft enough to have no mechanical awareness, I've been checking the 'sight glass' (thank you, 'eye glass' did seem odd) a good time after parking up and was curious/a little worried as I've not had a bike before where there was such a dramatic difference in oil level shown in the sight glass at the two stand angles. Must be sump design (narrower?), yet as previously stated, on some occasions when I return to the bike (parked on side stand) after finishing work/or/first thing in the morning the eye glass is near full, I'll have a word with the vicar :)
« Last Edit: 24 March 2016, 01:10:36 pm by melons »

old son

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX10R
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 March 2016, 01:41:27 pm »
 I'll have a word with the vicar[/font] :)
[/quote]

I would try Specsavers