Date: 28-03-24  Time: 15:54 pm

Author Topic: help needed as always  (Read 1868 times)

popeye72

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - montessa 315r
    • View Profile
help needed as always
« on: 06 March 2013, 03:05:50 pm »
ok ballanced the carbs today :D  first time so a good experience however the manual states vacuum readings of 23-25 but i was getting 18-19 on fast tick over :\  is this good or bad cus i havent a clue any help would be great
if it aint broke, try harder!

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
Re: help needed as always
« Reply #1 on: 06 March 2013, 03:29:04 pm »
ok ballanced the carbs today :D  first time so a good experience however the manual states vacuum readings of 23-25 but i was getting 18-19 on fast tick over :\  is this good or bad cus i havent a clue any help would be great

Mine were down too. I just made sure that they were balance up as close as possible. The bike is running excellent, so i'm running away until something goes pop!!

Probably wear and tear over the last 10 years.

popeye72

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - montessa 315r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 March 2013, 03:33:33 pm »
bikes running fine just wondered if there was any thing to adjust thanks for putting my mind at rest

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 March 2013, 03:35:37 pm »
I had a similar issue but opposite - my readings were between 28-30 if I remember correctly. The only thing I can think of is the mixture settings?

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 March 2013, 03:56:44 pm »
bikes running fine just wondered if there was any thing to adjust thanks for putting my mind at rest
If it ain't broken, then don't fix it. If the bike is running fine, go out and enjoy it. Life is short to be going around paranoid.  :crazy

Personally, I'm not going to mess around with my mixture screws or anything else until I experience a noticeable problem with the running of my bike. Right now, she is running sweet as a nut. She starts on the button without choke every morning, and ticks over nicely from the off and there isn't a stammer nor a stutter throughout the rev range.

I am not saying that you shouldn't heed to obvious or serious warning signs like if you found metal fragments in your oil, or load knocking sounds from your motor ect ect. But what I am saying is that you have to be practical and allow for a little wear and tear too and do a sort of "worst case scenario" type of assesment to what's not right. Like, it's not going to be life threatening if your carbs deteriorate over time...you will just have to get new ones. But if your engine or brakes seized and if there was tell tale signs that you ignorned, then that could be detromental to your well being.....if you get my drift.
« Last Edit: 06 March 2013, 04:06:12 pm by packie »

Tilts

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Gas Gas EC300
    • View Profile
    • Dirtcadets.com
« Reply #5 on: 06 March 2013, 04:10:14 pm »
Well said that man, if only I could heed to such advice before breaking things that could of been left well alone!
Don't bullshit me, and I wont bullshit you.

popeye72

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - montessa 315r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 March 2013, 04:23:41 pm »
ok cheers guys, just thought if i could get it bang on then IMHO it would be worth it, all work carried out during employers time not my riding time :b

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 March 2013, 04:25:10 pm »
from memory,a bad one.......dont you set the readings on no1 cylinder using the idle screw before balancing and then readjust when finished.....ie,do the balancing when the readings are between 23-25.....or is my memory worse than i thought  :rolleyes
One, is never going to be enough.....

popeye72

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - montessa 315r
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 March 2013, 04:26:45 pm »
RED your right but it would mean the engine running at around 2500 revs this would seem high to me b ut they are ballanced so guess its all good

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 March 2013, 04:29:13 pm »
if the bikes running fine i would say your close enough....and saved a few quids by doing it yourself....well done fella  :D :D
One, is never going to be enough.....

popeye72

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - montessa 315r
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 March 2013, 04:31:07 pm »
cheers  yes i am happy first use of my shinny carbtune :D

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 March 2013, 05:25:26 pm »
Don't worry about it , it is far more important that they are all as close to the same readings as possible.
It is a measurement of the vacuum at the intake manifold and since the manual does not state what revs the vacuum is to be set at the figure is meaningless. Many machines have the vacuum set at a very high idle as the vacuum reading are to low to read properly at tickover speeds. I have found on the Fazer 400 I have to set the idle to 2000rpm to get readings with the Morgan carbtune.
As longs as you can read the measurements and they are all as close to each as possible then check the TPS setting and ride on :sun