Date: 25-04-24  Time: 14:42 pm

Author Topic: Good insurance cover  (Read 2425 times)

davidh

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - 2001 black FZS 6OO JUST BOUGH
    • View Profile
Good insurance cover
« on: 10 May 2020, 08:18:51 pm »
Looking for insurance 2000 fzs 600 . I have got no no claims as over 7 yr since my last bike . 65 YEARS YOUNG LOL. 4 PTS SP30 GGGRRR . WITH BREAKDOWN . My best quote 150 ?? any suggestions ???? cheers Dave

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Good insurance cover
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2020, 08:33:43 pm »
£150 with no no claims doesnt sound too bad. I am 51 and have 20 years no claims and pay about £80 (£160 for the FZS and a Tiger 900) without the breakdown cover and no points
Try Hastings.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2020, 08:45:59 pm »
Also worth noting that it will greatly vary depending on your areas crime rate and what security you have. A really good sold secure chain helps, a ground anchor even more so and then a cover and an alarmed disc lock seal the deal.
I'm insured with Bennetts for my 07 Fz1-N valued at £4000, modified and garages in a 'decent' low crime area. 2 chains, 2 ground anchors, an alarmed disc lock and a cover. I'm 33, 7 years no claims, no points and my renewal has just come back at £108 fully comp, without legal or breakdown but with helmet & Leather, pillion and commuting included
My last was with Bikesure and that was £150

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2020, 11:06:44 am »
Without a doubt, GoCompare seem to be the cheapest comparison site, for me anyway. No matter how many times i attempt to try elsewhere they never get as low. Same for car insurance too, which i sort out for my mum.

I did a search a few days ago and the best price came up at £110 Full Comp and was with Carole Nash who i'm already with.

Then lo and behold, i get an email from Carole Nash a day later with their renewal quote for £140. I'll ring them in a few days and see how they want to play things out.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2020, 12:01:42 pm »
Get yourself through the IAM test, then you case use IAM Surety insurance (underwritten by Cornmarket) which is can be very cheap. Just insured my FZ6 for £230, fully comp, class 1 business use, £2.5k value, 10k yearly mileage, £250 excess, I'm living in crime infested East London, have a past prang, 7 years NC and aged 41. I had TPFT with them on my old FZS600 for several years prior at arond the £150 mark too.

All the comparison sites couldn't come close, not even MCE with stupid excesses as nearly much as the bike's worth...

YMMV though, got other mates in my local IAM group who couldn't get insured with them, or couldn't get good prices, namely people within M25 with high values GS's or sports bikes.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2020, 12:04:27 pm »
I used bikesure for years as they were always cheapest then they got taken over and prices went up. I found that mcn compare returns the best quotes and currently with bennetts who last year increased my renewal quote by 9 which was a surprise as I was expecting the usual +150 then me having to faff with them.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2020, 12:06:50 pm »
Get yourself through the IAM test, then you case use IAM Surety insurance (underwritten by Cornmarket) which is can be very cheap. Just insured my FZ6 for £230, fully comp, class 1 business use, £2.5k value, 10k yearly mileage, £250 excess, I'm living in crime infested East London, have a past prang, 7 years NC and aged 41. I had TPFT with them on my old FZS600 for several years prior at arond the £150 mark too.

All the comparison sites couldn't come close, not even MCE with stupid excesses as nearly much as the bike's worth...

YMMV though, got other mates in my local IAM group who couldn't get insured with them, or couldn't get good prices, namely people within M25 with high values GS's or sports bikes.

But what is the total cost for being IAM

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2020, 12:18:27 pm »
Get yourself through the IAM test, then you case use IAM Surety insurance (underwritten by Cornmarket) which is can be very cheap.

Not sure this will be true for most people. I passed my IAM (car) 30+ years ago and have checked the IAM insurance prices every couple of years and have never worked out cheaper for me. Everyone is different though.

Fazersharp = No idea what the cost of getting through your test now but it isn't expensive. Annual membership is low too.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 May 2020, 01:22:01 pm »
I'm shopping for my renewal at the moment.

Hastings won't quote online due to too many mods on the bike. Phoned them up and they aren't quoting new policies by phone either.

Bennetts renewal has come up cheaper than last year, but is cheaper still with a new quote.  Oddly, having passed IAM increases the excess by £50 and doesn't affect the premium.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 May 2020, 01:22:19 pm »
Get yourself through the IAM test, then you case use IAM Surety insurance (underwritten by Cornmarket) which is can be very cheap.

Not sure this will be true for most people. I passed my IAM (car) 30+ years ago and have checked the IAM insurance prices every couple of years and have never worked out cheaper for me. Everyone is different though.

Fazersharp = No idea what the cost of getting through your test now but it isn't expensive. Annual membership is low too.
I think I am lucky that I am on the "minimum" premium so that it doesn't matter what I do it will not bring down the cost.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 May 2020, 01:23:56 pm »
Oddly, having passed IAM increases the excess by £50 and doesn't affect the premium.
:eek -- insurance -- :wall

tex

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - tdr 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 May 2020, 01:50:35 pm »

I use mcn purely because you can have any mods apart from turbo or super charge, as soon as I put a list of my mods most insurance companies either don't want to know or ridiculous prices. Mcn do have a rip off mandatory excess.  Mine is £90 fully comp but £1500 excess 😩.  That's with 12 years ncd did have a claim when the bike got nicked. Because mine is in a wood shed they stick £300 on the excess.
the night i was born, lord the moon stood a fire red., my poor mother her crying,
she said the gypsy was right, and she fell right dead

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 May 2020, 02:04:30 pm »
Actually did mine yesterday. Was previously  with MCE but they sent me an email saying that they would not automatically  renew my insurance and I should go to their website, fill in my details all over again to get a quote. Seemed a bit strange, as if they did not want me to renew with them.

Went on compare the market and MCE came up for £137 but Bennets was just £90.64, so went with them.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 May 2020, 02:12:20 pm »
But what is the total cost for being IAM
Initial course costs £150, but 10% vouchers are two-a-penny, and it is often down to £100 for those at sign up at various shows.
Yearly costs are about £45 (£30 ish to IAM HQ, £15 to local group).
So yeah, do your sums to see if the saving outway the costs. But obviously you get a lot of other stuff too: skills, a social scene, ride outs, other discounts etc. And, as has been said, they're not always cheaper on insurance for everyone. For me they have been for last 4 years odd, but I know others in my same group who didn't find them cheaper.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 May 2020, 03:11:02 pm »
Heard rumour that an insurer increases IAM premiums on the assumption that riders do more miles per year  :rolleyes

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 11 May 2020, 04:21:05 pm »
Actually did mine yesterday. Was previously  with MCE but they sent me an email saying that they would not automatically  renew my insurance and I should go to their website, fill in my details all over again to get a quote. Seemed a bit strange, as if they did not want me to renew with them.

Went on compare the market and MCE came up for £137 but Bennets was just £90.64, so went with them.

That's interesting you say that about them, because GoCompare have always saved my details in their system for years, yet this time I had to fill in all my details again from scratch?
Wondering if they have all been asked to do that?

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 May 2020, 06:30:56 pm »
Heard rumour that an insurer increases IAM premiums on the assumption that riders do more miles per year  :rolleyes
I can certainly believe an IAM rider will put in more miles. But I would have also expected that to be taken into account by your declared mileage per year...
FWIW I actually had Adrian Flux want me to declare my cars mileage when I renewed the policy this year, wondering if they'll be double checking next year. However, it's easily available data on past MOT history...
I can see insurers possible worried about an IAM riders increased risk from volunteering to do Observing duties. Something many good riders are often approached to do post test. And partly why Surety gives all riders class 1 business use, as they consider IAM Observer requires this.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 May 2020, 05:51:51 am »

That's interesting you say that about them, because GoCompare have always saved my details in their system for years, yet this time I had to fill in all my details again from scratch?

I forgot about The Bike Insurer, maybe i used them last year instead of GoCompare, which is why my details may have been erased?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12 May 2020, 06:02:05 am »
Looking for insurance 2000 fzs 600 . I have got no no claims as over 7 yr since my last bike . 65 YEARS YOUNG LOL. 4 PTS SP30 GGGRRR . WITH BREAKDOWN . My best quote 150 ?? any suggestions ???? cheers Dave

Another trick with insurance is do your searches with as much notice as possible before your renewal date, normally a month is allowed.
The later you leave it, and the more you start digging around, they will know you're getting desperate and you could see the prices start to creep up.
And never leave it down to the last few days to do a search, because the prices will definitely rise by then.

You may find that £30 to £40 of your quote may be an add on for your SP30 penalty, so bear that in mind and just allow it.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #19 on: 13 May 2020, 12:11:48 am »
Get yourself through the IAM test, then you case use IAM Surety insurance (underwritten by Cornmarket) which is can be very cheap. Just insured my FZ6 for £230, fully comp, class 1 business use, £2.5k value, 10k yearly mileage, £250 excess, I'm living in crime infested East London, have a past prang, 7 years NC and aged 41.

Down in Portsmouth (not so crime ridden, 10 years NC, aged 54 and bike parked off street), mine was £167 with IAM/ Cornmarket :thumbup

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17 May 2020, 08:51:38 am »

I forgot about The Bike Insurer, maybe i used them last year instead of GoCompare, which is why my details may have been erased?

Went to pay the insurance yesterday, due on June 3rd, and it's now £124 instead of my quoted £110. I'm curious as to what has changed in the last 10 days to warrant a price increase?
Then after i paid the new fee, they send me a receipt email, and it says it starts from June 1st ?
Their reminder said June 3rd, as it always will do, as it's also my birthday so it's not something i really forget or mess up.
Very shoddy service. That was with Carole Nash, via The Bike Insurer comparison site. GoCompare had the same new higher price as well.
I've emailed them now, as i tried phoning but they're on reduced working hours due to you know what.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 17 May 2020, 11:06:05 am »

I use mcn purely because you can have any mods apart from turbo or super charge, as soon as I put a list of my mods most insurance companies either don't want to know or ridiculous prices. Mcn do have a rip off mandatory excess.
A lot of these insurance companies have a statement in the small print.  Basically they make an assumption that your bike is standard.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17 May 2020, 12:04:02 pm »
I use mcn purely because you can have any mods apart from turbo or super charge, as soon as I put a list of my mods most insurance companies either don't want to know or ridiculous prices. Mcn do have a rip off mandatory excess.
A lot of these insurance companies have a statement in the small print.  Basically they make an assumption that your bike is standard.

I went on one website and they had a drop down list of add-ons that were classed as mods and every one i clicked bumped the price up, i think until the quote nearly doubled in price.
One of these add-ons was decals (stickers). That just takes the piss.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 17 May 2020, 12:23:15 pm »
 Yup I struggled to get quote for my R1250R.

Firm after firm rejected me cos the value was too high!  I mean what? 

I’ve fitted an SC Project road legal aftermarket can (I mean something had to be done about the OE dust bin), that then further reduced the companies that would quote.  I mean what?

If I had of opted for the BMW approved Akra can (also a bit of a dust bin IMO) that would have been classed as OE. 

I got fab quotes from some of the comparison sites, but then you check the small print – they all assume your bike is ‘standard’ and as soon as you mention simple mods a lot of them ramp the prices up.  And a lot of these policies are very basic with big excesses. 

Presumably loads of folks, de-cat their bikes, tune them, whatever, and just don’t bother telling the insurance company.  But then, push comes to shove, and you might find you aint insured. 

Here’s a thing.  I got a quote from Bennets for 360 quid from a comparison site.  They then gave me a quote of 790 quid over the phone.  I tried their web site for a quote – they quoted me 160 quid.  I checked the details carefully three times over and pressed buy. 
Insurance can be murder.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 17 May 2020, 06:59:29 pm »

Went to pay the insurance yesterday, due on June 3rd, and it's now £124 instead of my quoted £110. I'm curious as to what has changed in the last 10 days to warrant a price increase?
Then after i paid the new fee, they send me a receipt email, and it says it starts from June 1st ?
Their reminder said June 3rd, as it always will do, as it's also my birthday so it's not something i really forget or mess up.
Very shoddy service. That was with Carole Nash, via The Bike Insurer comparison site. GoCompare had the same new higher price as well.
I've emailed them now, as i tried phoning but they're on reduced working hours due to you know what.

My son insured his KTM 390 on Thursday, to start at midnight, got quoted £450  by Devitts on one of the comparison sites, clicked on the link to go to Devitts website  it asked him to check his details again, then requoted him at £370.
If, as some else has already posted I think, that the closer to the renewal date you renew the price goes up is just more proof that vehicle insurance is not risk based anymore but only on what they think you will be willing to pay.