Date: 28-03-24  Time: 23:39 pm

Author Topic: New bike conundrum  (Read 1115 times)

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
  • Don't mess with a budgie
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
New bike conundrum
« on: 09 May 2020, 06:43:07 pm »
My 2007 FZ1S is getting on now, 50K miles and it's had a few problems in the last 12 months which I have sorted, but I'm wondering if now is the time (well not right now obviously) to PX it while it still has a decent value.
Trouble is what do I like?
I like the Fazer but they don't make it any more  :grumble
I tried the MT10 and hated the riding position and I wasn't keen on the engine although I'd probably get used to it.
I've looked at the Kwak Z1000SX and I'll give it a try but I doubt it will be as agile as the FZ1S
The only other bike is a BMW1000R but that's a lot of money  :eek
I can't ride a sports bike these days, too much pain across the shoulders, so it has to be a street bike.

What bikes have you moved on from Fazers to?
Any recommendations to go and try?
« Last Edit: 09 May 2020, 06:45:54 pm by Streetbudgie »

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: New bike conundrum
« Reply #1 on: 09 May 2020, 06:56:12 pm »
I moved from the FZS600 to an ST1100 (very heavy to push around but great once moving) to a CBF1000 (very fazerlike but bland) to an FZS600 and a Tiger900i (like the Pan can be heavy but a great bike.

I know the FZ1 is not like the FZS600 but I would be looking for a late, low mileage FZ1 rather than something different if I were you.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 May 2020, 07:09:41 pm »
 Foc knows whats gonna happen to the car and bike market.  At the mo its pretty much shut down.  Sales are at their lowest since 1947.

The dealers might have some luck, in that folks who were about to buy, or planning to buy, before the lockdown may still wish to buy.  But on the other hand with the biggest recession in our history…..

I think the other thing dealers will have is queues outside on their day of opening with folks wanting to hand back their PCP purchases.  If you are more than 50% through your PCP deal, you can drive to the showroom, hand over your keys and walk away.  Dealers will be drowning in stock.  Used prices can only go south.

So, if value for money is the priority, maybe take your time.

Anyway, I figured I was gonna but an MT10.  I liked the riding position.  But the thing just pulled wheelies everywhere, and it drank like a fish.  Then I took a fancy to the new CB1000R – lovely looking wee thing.  Test rode that, but it was kinda boring.

I then read good things about BMW’s R1250R, thought Mmmmm, then why not and test rode it - to my surprise bought one – umm delivered just before lock down – great timing.

So still running it in.  Things I like – amazing low torque.   Great riding position.  Superb TFT dash.   The way it handles combined with all the torque – it’s a hoot.   Excellent heated grips.  Gone are the days when boxers were a bit soft, this thing is quick.  Things I don’t like – non existent front mudguard.  In the rain, at the rear it sucks in all the road crap – you end up coated.   

If you haven’t tried one, then you really should – you might be surprised.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 May 2020, 07:43:16 pm »
Just as a different approach... have a look at the Kawasaki Versys 1000.
Friend of mine has had one for around a year now and it's an incredible 'do it all' kind of bike. Comfy, fast, not bad looking either imo. He has a 17 plate and it has just enough tech to keep you safe without being overwhelming.
I had a ride for half hour and was really good, a little more upright than I'm used to (which resulted in an achey lower back instead of wrists and shoulders) but I could certainly see the appeal.
If you wanna go a little left field then have a look at

Honda's VFR1200 Crossrunner. I test rode the new one with the fancy full auto gearbox.... a hell of an experience. It was so foreign to start with as there parents any clutch or gear levers but I tell you what once you get used to it you realise how much sense it makes, especially if you have to commute a decent distance.
I wasnt a fan of the looks that much and it really lacked power compared to my FZ1 but I can honestly say it's the most Interesting new bike I've ridden in a long time
« Last Edit: 09 May 2020, 07:48:48 pm by Dudeofrude »

john roche

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000, vfr750
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2020, 02:34:46 am »
I'd second a Versys 1000, my Fazer was written off a couple of years ago and I've got a Versys now. It reminds me of the Fazer in many ways but it's better. So it should be as it's 13 years newer. My wife tells me the pillion seat is really good too.

Cheers

John
The devil made me do it!

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2020, 11:33:10 am »
go for this one.
New Bike 2
New Bike 2

Fazian

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2020, 01:41:09 pm »
I may be selling mine, it's a 2007 FZ1 with 20k on the clock, let me know if you're interested.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2020, 02:31:16 pm »
go for this one.
New Bike 2
New Bike 2
The ankle warmer  :lol

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2020, 06:45:56 pm »
I had a go on my mates Street Triple R not so long ago and thought it was excellent,not as quick as my FZ1 but didn't seem miles away,certainly not enough to make much diff and it seemed a bit lighter than mine .I'd go for one if I wanted a change,but there's the problem,you use the FZ and it does everything pretty good and you expect the same from another model and it's very hard to find one that does everything as well.I really think if you can get a good low mileage FZ1 you won't go far wrong IMO.
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.