Date: 25-04-24  Time: 21:31 pm

Author Topic: How often do you clean your pistons/calipers?  (Read 4252 times)

hightower

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
How often do you clean your pistons/calipers?
« on: 07 July 2014, 09:47:56 am »
So I overhauled my front calipers earlier this year. They were nice and clean, no grab or anything. I ride in all weather, and now about 4 months later I've got grab to the point I haven't rode in today - I need to clean them up again tonight.

4 months doesn't seem like long before having to reclean, so did I just do a poor job first time round? (I spent longer doing the back and that isn't grabbing yet).

How often do you clean yours? (Quick clean, piston out full clean etc - whatever it is you do)

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
Re: How often do you clean your pistons/calipers?
« Reply #1 on: 07 July 2014, 10:03:39 am »
The blue spot brakes are very good when working properly but you need to keep on top of the maintenance!
I only ride 6 months of the year  nowadays but remove the calipers each winter,clean,check pads,check action of pistons, apply light coat of red rubber grease to exposed ends of pistons, copper grease to back of brake pads,brake pad holding pin.
I wouldnt disturb the seals unless there was evidence of damage-they should be replaced every couple of years anyway as part of the service schedule-for best results use Yamaha OEM seals. If replacing seals,check seal grooves in caliper body are clean & free of corrosion to ensure proper fit & smooth piston action.
Overhaul master cylinders with Yamaha kits. Also consider fitting braided hoses the originals dont last forever! Change brake fluid every 2 years.  Result-excellent brakes!

The Gentleman Biker

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZ400
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 July 2014, 10:23:52 am »
You can take them off and clean them properly now and again. In between that though I use Delboy's trick and attack them like in this video... Very easy.

hightower

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 July 2014, 07:41:16 pm »
I mean I overhauled mine about 4 months ago. Seals, the lot. They were great for a while but then started grabbing, so I did a quick clean (pads out, extend pistons as far as possible and clean). Now I've just done them again, I tried to do a full clean but couldn't get one of the pistons out. I've just put them back together and they are better but I'm not happy still.

Not sure what to do next. I don't have compressor or anything so was using 2 out, clean, next 2 out and so on. Would love a compressor ad this way it's a pain

Biker_Bob

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - SCV100, KE100
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 July 2014, 04:15:37 pm »
I usually get away with never having to rebuild them. In summer you're fine but in winter it's ESSENTIAL to wash the calipers down after every ride.
I've got my hosepipe wall mounted just inside the garage door, when I get home I spray the living daylights out of all three calipers - really hammer them from all angles. Then shove the bike in the garage until next time.
Works a treat.
If you do need to rebuild, make sure to scrape the seal grooves spotless with a right angled pick, get all the chod out or they'll just start sticking again.

**EDIT** should have watched that video before posting.  :rollin
« Last Edit: 10 July 2014, 04:17:06 pm by Biker_Bob »

hightower

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 July 2014, 01:57:00 pm »
Yeah, think I need to get the chod out of the grooves as you say. My back is perfect, but I spent ages on that.

Just not keen on having to spend 30 odd quid on seals again.

acid drop

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Yamaha MT-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 July 2014, 07:35:11 pm »
I have never cleaned my bike pistons/calipers  You don't do it with a car so why do it with a bike??????

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 July 2014, 11:27:38 pm »
I have never cleaned my bike pistons/calipers  You don't do it with a car so why do it with a bike??????
Because a car has a big wheel rim going round it stopping a lot of the crud getting to the caliper, so it's just brake dust build-up you worry about which gets cleaned out when the pads are worn.

On the bike there is no weather protection on the calipers. Especially the rear which is in the "upside down" position, so everything flows into it and gets trapped. 99% of car calipers are the same orientation as the front calipers on the Fazer. That's my take on why it needs done more frequently on the bike, and I had a rear start sticking on my 600, so it does definetely need done from time to time (although, don't ask why the thou rear calipers don't seem to stick as bad, that's beyond me :lol)

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 July 2014, 08:36:22 pm »

I'm guessing that you're going to have at least one sticking piston by now, likely more!

hightower

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 July 2014, 08:40:24 pm »
Because if you don't clean, and you ride in all sorts of weather (sure it may not be as bad if you only ride in the sun) then you will eventually get sticking pistons, which equals grabbing pads, which equals warping a £130 disc.

positron

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 July 2014, 08:36:57 pm »
I usually get away with never having to rebuild them. In summer you're fine but in winter it's ESSENTIAL to wash the calipers down after every ride.
I've got my hosepipe wall mounted just inside the garage door, when I get home I spray the living daylights out of all three calipers - really hammer them from all angles. Then shove the bike in the garage until next time.

Which is 10-12 hours later in my case. Every day. Drum brakes sounds very good now.. :(