Date: 28-03-24  Time: 22:49 pm

Author Topic: Oil gain???  (Read 1454 times)

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Oil gain???
« on: 22 May 2017, 11:28:36 am »
So I did an oil change about 3 weeks ago,  checked online and I think it was meant to take something like 2.8 litres with a filter change, anyway I only put about 2.4 in there and it was already showing half way up the viewing glass. So took her out for a 10 minute ride, come back and waited for it to settle then checked again.... half way up the glass. Next morning same and the next evening after riding to work was all good so didn't put anymore thought into it.

Anyway today I've just been out for a ride for an hour or 2 and the bike felt really vibey, but in a resonating kind of way. Was making my steering damper rattle like mad and I could really feel it through the bars.
So I've given her a once over and everything seems fine but I've just noticed that my oil is not only black already but also fills the looking Glass when the bike is upright!?
Can't see it when it's on the side stand but the moment it's level the window goes completely black?
I've checked the coolant and none of that has gone anywhere, and when I return the bike to the side stand the window is yellow from oil residue so doesn't look like there's anything else in there? 
Normally I would have though condensation but as I said I'd literally just rode it for an hour or 2 so it was well warmed up?
So does anybody have any ideas?
I'm planning on leaving it till tomoz just to make sure but do I need to let some oil out? And if so where the hell did the extra come from?

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Re: Oil gain???
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2017, 02:55:45 pm »
When you first changed it and then checked it over the next few days did you have the bike on sidestand ?
You will never get a true reading unless the bike is totally upright on very level ground and the engine has been run for a few minutes then left for the oil to drain down.
As for the colour and amount mine is the same, change oil putting about 2.5 litres in with a filter change and oil is black after 300 to 400 miles. You never get all the old oil out, so the old oil left in the engine quickly mixes with the new making it look  black.
I once overfilled mine, the sight glass was full so undid the drain bolt till I could see it dead level with the upper line then nipped up  drain bolt. I had drained the excess into an old measuring jug and it measured only 75 millilitres, very much doubt if that could have caused any damage to engine.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2017, 03:08:07 pm »
IF (Big IF) the level is going up it can only be one of two things and neither are good news.

1. Coolant getting in there
2. Fuel getting washed in there from the cylinders because of massive over fuelling.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Dustydes

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fzr1000 exup street fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2017, 03:50:55 pm »

If coolant you will see it, emulsification, white like milk mixed with oil
Fuel you can smell it
As said check for both

Probable just over fill a bit doesn't take much to take it over window.

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2017, 06:55:25 am »

If it makes you feel any better my bike is very carefully maintained, ridden with mechanical sympathy and has a known history before my ownership - and my oil level goes both up and down. I don't have coolant or fuel loss evidence in the oil. I've just accepted it as a trait (quirk?) of the engine.
is it clean enough?

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2017, 10:32:11 am »

Well I've just it it out the garage this morning and the oil level is fine? Still black as fuck but the level is ok. Maybe it was just taking its time to drain back into the sump? Or possibly like yours blutclot it's just got a mind of its own?

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2017, 12:29:50 pm »
Did you pre-fill the oil filter? (And remember to let it stand so the oil could soak into the media) If not, you might have had an air pocket that took a while to clear. As for the oil going black, just do another oil change, they are quick and cheap. A clean and healthy engine should start to darken the oil after ~1000 miles, much faster then that and either the engine isn't clean or it isn't healthy.