Date: 20-04-24  Time: 03:25 am

Author Topic: How do I remove the sleeve at the bottom of the Rear Shock on an FZ6  (Read 3061 times)

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
I know (from reading lots of posts on various forums about this) that I'm by far not the only person who has had problems removing the sleeve at the bottom of the rear shock on an FZ6 Fazer.
Well I've *finally* managed to shift the bloody thing!

So, if anyone else wants to remove their rear shock, here's how I did it.

First of all I tried Plusgas (pentrating oil), heat (blow torch) and mole grips, but that wasn't working.

Then I tried using a Dremel (rotary tool) to grind a slot in the right hand end so I could use a hammer and screwdriver to tap it out from the left side of the bike, but that didn't work either.

(NB the above methods have worked for other people, that's why I tried them first)

So eventually I used the Dremel to grind two flat surfaces on the sleeve and heated the right hand bracket with the blow torch for about five minutes, then clamped the mole grips in place and tapped them with a rubber mallet until I heard that lovely sharp "click" as it suddenly shifted!

By the way, it's a good idea to mark a horizontal line on the end of the sleeve with a Sharpie or similar so you can check that it *is* actually moving and you're not just rounding off the flats!

It took some time and lots of wiggling, but eventually it started to slide out, so it's a good idea to try to grind the flat surfaces so they slope up towards the free end of the sleeve, that way the mole grips won't just slide off the end when you try to wiggle it free.

Also the sleeve doesn't go through or into the left bracket, it just butts up against it, so heating the left bracket doesn't do anything and trying to use a "puller" like the Haynes manual suggests won't do any good either!

Anyway, that's how I got it to shift. Fortunately the replacment shock (from YSS) doesn't use the same stupid design, so I'm not going to have this problem again! (y)

Hope this helps someone else :thumbup

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Well done

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
Thanks!  :)
By the way, here's the YSS shock, you can see that it doesn't have the sleeve of the OEM one (although note that I've probably got the "washer" on the right hand side the wrong way around as it's probably meant to go into the hole that the sleeve came out of).

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Does that have any adjustment Graham? Ride height/preload/compression/rebound.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
It has Rebound, Preload, but not Compression (I think there was another model that had Compression, but it was a lot more expensive and, frankly, it wouldn't make much of a difference for my riding)

It also has +/- 5mm height adjustment.

This is where I got it from: https://www.brooksuspension.co.uk/yamaha-fz6s-fazer-yss-shock-absorber-04-08/

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
It has Rebound, Preload, but not Compression (I think there was another model that had Compression, but it was a lot more expensive and, frankly, it wouldn't make much of a difference for my riding)

It also has +/- 5mm height adjustment.

This is where I got it from: https://www.brooksuspension.co.uk/yamaha-fz6s-fazer-yss-shock-absorber-04-08/

Thanks

knoxy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Re: How do I remove the sleeve at the bottom of the Rear Shock on an FZ6
« Reply #6 on: 13 October 2023, 09:33:53 am »
How did you get on with the YSS shock Grahamm? Ive just received mine with an upgraded spring and I’m gonna attempt to fit it this weekend.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
Re: How do I remove the sleeve at the bottom of the Rear Shock on an FZ6
« Reply #7 on: 13 October 2023, 05:01:12 pm »
How did you get on with the YSS shock

Honestly, the best way to describe it is: I don't even notice it!

Which is good, because if I don't notice anything about it, it's doing its job perfectly :thumbup