Date: 19-04-24  Time: 22:45 pm

Author Topic: Insurance claim question  (Read 785 times)

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Insurance claim question
« on: 31 January 2020, 06:26:10 pm »
Last August some idiot took me out on a roundabout (cut across my path).

It was very low speed, so I only had a bit of damage to the fairing and headlamp mount and the front brake lever mount was bent when the bike fell onto its side, although the quote to replace that lot with OEM parts and workshop time would be around £1000!.

Unfortunately I've just had a letter from the insurance company's claim handling people saying "We have been unable to make recover of your financial losses [...] We have received no respnose from the Thirdy Party Insurers and have exhausted all avenues of recovering your costs".

They go on to say: "As we are not a law firm we cannot issue Court Proceedings on your behalf to effect a recovery of your losses".

Has anyone else been in this situation and got any ideas what to do next?

Frankly I don't really want the hassle of trying to start a Court claim, and, even if I did, I don't know how much I'd actually get back. There's also the moneyclaim.gov.uk route, but I don't know anything about that.

I do have Fully Comp insurance, so would it be best to just claim on that? I do have protected NCB (over 10 years) which should mean my renewal premium won't go up too much.

I'd welcome any helpful advice.
« Last Edit: 31 January 2020, 06:27:01 pm by Grahamm »

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
Re: Insurance claim question
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2020, 11:57:36 pm »
We have received no respnose from the Thirdy Party Insurers
That's a bit odd - no response from the other insurers? Suggests the other party didn't report the accident to their insurer?

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 February 2020, 01:18:22 am »
I'm not sure, but I think I remember someone from my insurance (or the claims company they employ) say that the other person's insurer was using a claims company of their own, but then it was taken back off them or something similar.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 February 2020, 03:15:28 am »
Accident claims on roundabouts are always bound to throw up questionable liability.
Unless there were independent witnesses then it’s just your word against theirs and if the other party hasn’t reported it or refuses to accept liability, then there’s very little you can do .
I would recommend that you do an advanced or IAMS course so you could anticipate incidents like this before they happen in the future.
« Last Edit: 01 February 2020, 09:03:57 am by dazza »

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 February 2020, 01:49:01 pm »
Unless there were independent witnesses then it’s just your word against theirs and if the other party hasn’t reported it or refuses to accept liability, then there’s very little you can do .

Unfortunately nobody stopped to offer to be a witness :(

So should I just claim off my own insurance and see how much they'll stump up?
« Last Edit: 01 February 2020, 01:49:37 pm by Grahamm »

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 February 2020, 02:21:21 pm »
I think Id be inclined to let it rest now Graham. If you claim of your insurance, despite NCB, I suspect your renewal will reflect the claim. Whether you claim or not, the incident is now recorded on the industry database, and you will have to report it it to any future prospective insurer when seeking insurance. A few years ago, a woman e stopped in front of me for no reason, I grabbed a fistful and the front wheel slipped under me on loose chippings and tumbled onto its side, speed was no more than 5mph. The driver claimed against me for hitting the rear of her car, despite the driver behind me telling her I was at least a metre from her bumper when stopped. We swapped details, she drove off, the witness drove off, and I thought no more of it, until the claim against me dropped through the letter box. I immediately insisted on a full engineers assessment of the bike, which conclude that there was no evidence of any frontal impact , other than scratches on the offside engine guard, as a result of the bike dropping on its side at low speed. My insurer settled he claim against me, despite the report, simply because it was cheaper for them to do so rather than fight it. I was foccin outraged, being convicted despite any evidence against me, and told them in the strongest words I could find in the dictionary, both the claims handler and the insurance company. The industry stinks, but we have to use it.

I strongly sympathise, but I reckon there's little you can do