Date: 25-04-24  Time: 17:48 pm

Author Topic: Best training courses for a newb ?  (Read 1542 times)

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Best training courses for a newb ?
« on: 31 January 2013, 10:20:01 am »
I've signed up for a bikesafe course.

I'm putting down plenty of miles.  What else can I do to make myself a better,more confident rider ?

I'm thinking of www.i2imca.com

or
[/size]camrider do an enhanced rider schemes a 4 hour course is £99 and the full day course, 6-7 hours is £160

[/size]Any other suggestions or input appreciated.

[/size]Cheers
[/size]Simon
« Last Edit: 31 January 2013, 10:21:00 am by simonm »
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Re: Best training courses for a newb ?
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2013, 11:26:51 am »
I've signed up for a bikesafe course.

I'm putting down plenty of miles.  What else can I do to make myself a better,more confident rider ?

I've not done Bikesafe myelf, but I've heard they're very good.

I'd recommend getting a copy of Motorcycle Roadcraft which contains lots of very good advice on road use etc, also Full Control is an excellent read for advice on bike handling.

When you've got some more experience timewise I'd recommend visiting your local IAM or RoSPA motorcycle group and getting yourself an Assessed Ride with them and then signing up for for Skills for Life or the RoSPA equivalent.
« Last Edit: 04 May 2013, 11:43:00 am by Grahamm »

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #2 on: 31 January 2013, 12:06:35 pm »
Motorcycle roadcraft is a great wee book. You can read it in a few hours, which is handy as you will read it again and again. It is the police riders bible, and if you follow everything in that you will get to a point where your riding is fast, safe and steady.
Also, and this might sound like a contradiction, but the california superbike school is also good at helping with your SR's , cornering with confidence and making you aware just how far a bike CAN get over.It's quite expencive at £400'sh, but if you do stage 1 and 2 you get a disount on your insurance  :D . If you search for Keith Code - twist of the wrist (film or book) and have a look there. The film is a bit tounge in cheek, but a good source of information.
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

budgiemurray

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 January 2013, 03:15:02 pm »
+1 for skills for life.. It doesnt stop after the course either as theres always plenty of club rideouts your welcome on at no extra costs..

Budgie

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 January 2013, 07:12:21 pm »
+1 for Twist of the Wrist II - someone linked it on here ages ago (YouTube video) and I got round to watching it and granted the actors are hardly worth that description, the information is very good and helped me to understand a few bad habits I had. A quick YouTube search will get a result fairly easily for the video.

EndaF

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 February 2013, 10:02:44 pm »
I also recommend reading Motorcycle Roadcraft, it helps make you aware of a lot of the intricacies of riding that we all sort of know but don't pay that much attention to. Really helped me gain confidence when I moved up to a 600.
Aside from that I'd say a Bikesafe and/or IAM, both have been highly recommended. Planning on doing an IAM ride myself as soon as I can.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 February 2013, 05:16:21 pm »
Thanks all,

Twist of the wrist is brilliant but scary.  I suspect I need more confidence before trying some of the things in there.

I've ordered a copy of Roadcraft off amazon :-) , that was also recommended reading from the bikesafe youtube course too.

I'll give skills for a life a go as well I think, but I want to get a little more confidence first.

I went out on Friday and scared myself witless overtaking a car and then getting fixated on a lamppost on a broad corner.  Twist of the wrist saved me there and I tore my gaze away and focussed on where I wanted to go.  Scary but good learning :-P.

Thanks for all of your help, you've given me a lot to think about.
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.