Date: 20-04-24  Time: 05:29 am

Author Topic: Yet another (again!) boiler Q  (Read 2904 times)

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Yet another (again!) boiler Q
« on: 21 June 2012, 09:47:12 am »
MrsRichfzs needs a new boiler, and the guy she's had round is recommending a direct replacement (non-combi) to use the existing header tanks & hot water tanks etc. I thought the drive was to always put combis in now? Is there any benefit to sticking with the storage tanks?

Any info gratefully received etc etc, so that I can once again appear like the font of all knowledge to her  :lol

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another (again!) boiler Q
« Reply #1 on: 21 June 2012, 11:18:49 am »
A direct non-combi replacment should be cheaper since all the other bits are already present.
If you're shorter of space than money, then changing to a combi will free up a bit of room in the airing cupboard (no need for a hot water tank) and if the header tank is in the loft (sometimes they're on top of the HWT) then that could go too.
It would also mean your hot water is at mains pressure which makes for better showers, though if the existing tank is high enough or you've a shower pump or an electric shower running off mains pressure already then there isn't much advantage to changing.

DILLIGAFF

• Muppet

Plucking foccer
    Official FOC-U Saga Lout
    Kock Leeper
  • GP Hero
  • Leeper of cocks
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 June 2012, 12:04:27 pm »
I changed to a combi last year and saved ££££££££££££££££s

It depends on your circumstances. I live alone, prefer showers to baths and wash up once a day. It was costing me a fortune to heat up 50 gallons of water every day that was never used.
I used to not give a foc, then I discovered Red Bull and now I don't give a flying foc !!!

tango

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 June 2012, 12:41:46 pm »
as a gas fitter myself, i would recommend the combi option (preferably with an electric shower, just in case your hot water fails in the future), a direct replacement will be easier to fit,but with a combi you lose all of your tanks and hot water cylinder etc . Possibly making some extra storage space,and also losing a lot of pipework and wiring. Also i would recommend a wireless room stat. Combi boilers nowadays are extremely reliable and offer high hot water flow rates. Unless you live in a large house 4 beds+, with en-suites ,and with a extremely high useage of hot water (several people showering at the same time etc),then a combi is the way to go. Hope this helps.

Phil TK

• GP Hero
  • up yer..
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 June 2012, 01:06:28 pm »
 How much do these combi-boilers cost 'all in' these days? Say, one for for a two bed flat with 5 rads for example. I've been told that British Gas do really good deals (by a British Gas fitter in fact)

mcyoungy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 June 2012, 01:17:15 pm »
the drive is to condensing boilers, not the same as a combi.

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 June 2012, 01:41:12 pm »
I thought British Gas were expensive due to the fact they'd rather have your maintenance contract than the install job, a good local heating engineer will be better

I had a white meter heating changes to combi-condensing boiler last year, paid £3200 for it, there was cheaper quotes but they were going to install boilers i had not heard of and run pipes in places i did not want. That was a boiler, 5 Rads and a towel rail in a one bedroom house. The hot & cold water tank removed freeing up a cupboard where i now have my fridge freezer. Woster-bosch boiler with 6 years year warranty.

Four Wheels Moves The Body... Two Wheels Moves The Soul

tango

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 June 2012, 02:02:04 pm »
all boilers fitted are now condensing,be it a combi or conventional bolier. Yes B.G are expensive, an independent heating engineer would be cheaper,and also as mentioned in an earlier thread worcester bosch are an excellent boiler,more expensive than most,but worth the extra few quid in the long term.

mcyoungy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 June 2012, 02:10:44 pm »
How much do these combi-boilers cost 'all in' these days? Say, one for for a two bed flat with 5 rads for example. I've been told that British Gas do really good deals (by a British Gas fitter in fact)

that's because he gets a commission for selling it to you!

I work for British Gas and even with my staff discount I can't afford a BG boiler.

A local bod will be cheaper, quicker and cleaner.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 June 2012, 05:33:52 pm »
Thanks for all the responses folks :thumbup

Its a BG guy that will be doing the work, but as a private job (friend of family, working on a weekend), so not paying BG rates...

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 June 2012, 07:04:29 pm »
The downside of a combi is changes in pressure, flow and temperature when more than one person is using the system.  eg you are in the shower and somebody decides to wash the dishes, it can be irritating.

However I do like combi's.  Also a good idea to fit a control valve to your shower if you want to run it off the boiler, gives you much more control over temperature when having a shower.  And yeah you get great hot water pressure.

Also, as far as I am aware, when switching to a combi, most installers will just link the inlet and outlet of your hot water tank and get rid of it.  Some houses that can leave you with a long and pointless run off tubing from the boiler to where the tank was and eventually back to the tap you are using.  So it can be worth having a look at that, and if it's a long run paying a wee bit extra (or DIY it) so save money in the long run and get a quicker response at the taps.

And talking of DIY, modern plastic pipe and push fit connectors are so easy to work with.  So if you want or need to save pennies you can do a good bit of the install (if doing a full system) yourself. 

Oh Toolstation do good quality radiators at really good prices. 

And if you ain't keen on the idea of a combi, but don't want the expense of running a traditional tank system, check out systems like superflow. 

oldmotherfoccer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • WWW.FATMAGGOT.COM
« Reply #11 on: 26 June 2012, 07:39:58 pm »
i fkn hate my combi, wish i had never had it, when it goes wrong, which in my case is often (main boilers hang your head i shame) we have no hot water, i will be fititing an electric shower, and i would say that should be mandatory if you are considering a combi. 

new pump, 2 new main boards, new gas tap, new regulator, new condensate unit, new timer, new burners, infact apart from the cover its all been replaced...... oh and its just about to be 4 years old !!!!
Fat Maggot Clothing Company - remember FOCU15 to claim your foccers discount

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 June 2012, 07:16:20 pm »
Help ma boab!

Had bother with my first combi in the last house that I bought.

It was a cheap first generation Ferroli combi fitted in about 1986.  It was hell getting spares for as the company that brought them in went bust not long after.  Had to get spares direct from Italy.  Which just amounted to the odd temp control switch and pilot light caplilary.   I did a couple of times get a so called 'gas engineer' out to look at it, but cos they could find no detail or record of my model they wouldn't touch it, so I fixed it a few times myself before deciding it was well done.  I kept the darn thing going for the best part of ten years, it was absolutely focced by the end.

Then I got an Ariston (non condensor), which had the addition of electronic ignition and a fan flue.   I was amazed how much things had come on, both in terms of pumping out the heat, reliability and hot water temp control.      It broke down once, the fan for the fan flue was bust.  Was resigned to ordering and fitting a new fan, but I had a fiddle with it and found a little grain of corrosion had got into it and jammed it.  Bingo, freed it off, and away it went again.  Other than it, it needed it's expansion tank re-pressurised once.  7 years near faultless use.

The house I'm in now has a Vokera combi (non condensor) fitted going by the details around 2003, it's run for the best part of 2 years with me now with no probs (touch wood)  It probably gets an easy time right enougth as I've fitted a stove to this house, and there's just me to heat water for.

I think you've been unlucky oldmotherfoccer, I'd get shot of that one.  When the Vokera gives up the ghost it'll be another combi for me.