Date: 28-03-24  Time: 20:47 pm

Author Topic: FZS rear swing arm bearings  (Read 3601 times)

stonedpillock

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
FZS rear swing arm bearings
« on: 02 September 2013, 04:14:28 pm »
Hi guys
It looks like my swing arm bearings are on the way out. I've got 2-3mm sideways play when pulling the chain up and down. Bike has 34k on the clock and I've owned it from new. Any tips on best way of doing it? Haven't got any prices on bearings yet but was going to fit gen yam ones as 34k isn't too bad a mileage is it? If anyone has fitted alternative makes of good quality bearings let me know.
Should I change the linkage bearings as well? There is a bit of up and down play but not too much about 1mm I'd say.
Also I've seen some comments on short wheel bearing life mine are still original and seem ok.Although I use the bike allyear round and don't use pressure hoses. Also I'm only on my 2nd chain and sprockets so not sure about the short chain life comments. Although I do use a scottoiler. And no I don't ride like an old fart! (not all the time anyway)

I'm going to do the work myself so anyone who has done this job let me know how you got on and what special tools I need to get.

Cheers :) :)
The more people I meet the more I love my dogs

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Re: FZS rear swing arm bearings
« Reply #1 on: 02 September 2013, 05:23:53 pm »
The reason for short life of the chain and sprockets is usually caused  lack of lubrication and quicker wear on the front sprocket.
Change the front sprocket regularily and use plenty of librication. Since you have a scottoiler that would rule out the lubrication issue
I get 40000 miles out of my rear sprocket and chain, but I replace the front sprocket every 10000miles.
The front sprocket wears about 3 times faster than the rear as it is about 1/3rd the size of the rear. It only about cost about £7 for a front sprocket and will not be to badly worn after 10000miles.
This is the place for the bearings you require and are excellent to deal with http://www.marksman-ind.com/
« Last Edit: 02 September 2013, 05:27:07 pm by unfazed »

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 September 2013, 12:03:10 am »
I used an aftermarket (Pyramid) sleeve/bearing set when I did my swingarm, wasn't that impressed by the fact that I could still feel some free play afterwards. Maybe OEM would have been better. It was a straightforward job so far as I can recall, I just selected a suitable size socket and the extension bar from my 1/2" socket set to drift the old bearings out of the swing arm. Warming up the swingarm with a hot air gun made it easier to press the new ones in.
1mm vertical free play due to the linkage bearings is as good as it gets, but it would be worth inspecting and re-greasing them since you'll have everything apart anyway.

stonedpillock

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 September 2013, 08:06:39 pm »
Cheers guys
good tip about the front sprocket pretty obvious when you think about it will be ordering one asap. Just been on the bearing site looks good. Don't suppose you know the size of the swing arm bearings so I can order them up before I take the bike apart. Use it daily so the less down time the better.
Been on the yamaha parts online site it has parts lists and diagrams of all models. Very good for getting part numbers instead of having to trust some spotty yoof in your local dealer getting it right. Trouble is you still have to go to your local dealer to order the parts and I've not got a lot of faith in mine. Went in last Bank hol monday for a h/light bulb for the fazer. The shop owner didn't have a clue where or what he was looking for and said to come back during the week when the parts guy was back!! He then waddled back outside to clean his AMG merc! Won't name names but if your from weston super mare area you know who I mean. What happened to Chewwie the parts guy he knew his stuff if you could understand what he was on about!

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 September 2013, 08:14:31 pm »
I just had my bearingsdone on my 600, unfazedkindly gave me the same link to marksman & they were great.

But i ended up needing sleeves & bolts & bearings & my bikes allegedly only done 12k.

I was just about to test out how much of a differrence it made inthe corners as i had lots of play...but i foccin dropped it before i got the chance.

So i stil cant wait to test them out. :)
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

stonedpillock

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 September 2013, 08:27:53 pm »
Hope you did'nt do too much damage to yourself and bike. Get back out there asap mate.
Went to watch the road racing in Skerries Ireland this year the commentators last words at the end were "remember guys ride safe on the way home its better to get there 30 minutes late than 30 years too early" .
Having just watched Micheal Dunlop and the rest of the guys ride those roads like gods there was nothing left for us to prove so we made "good progress" on the journey back