Date: 28-03-24  Time: 10:20 am

Author Topic: Previous FZS600 Owners  (Read 4277 times)

Lez72

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Previous FZS600 Owners
« on: 17 March 2014, 09:18:58 am »
Hi folks. Has anyone on here moved over to an FZ8 from an FZS600 ?

If so, was it worth it ?

I'm toying with the idea of this being a potential contender when the time/money/mrs allows.

I'm basically after the practicality and comfort of the FZS with a little bit more umphh, smoothness and distance capabilities and find the FZS a little tiresome on longer runs like 200 miles or more.

Am I barking up the wrong tree or is it a viable alternative ?

Regards in advance  :)
Yamaha Fazer 'the only bike you'll ever need' maybe ???

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
Re: Previous FZS600 Owners
« Reply #1 on: 17 March 2014, 09:34:18 am »
Hey Lez, i looked at fazer8's yesterday & i wasnt overly inspired but before then i was like you contemplating one.

With your requirements beware..........those thou owners will be along shortly to suggest the Gen 1 thou which would no doubt suit all of your listed requirements but maybe you're after something a bit newer.

Hmm i'm a numpty....i see you already have a thou listed....but why dont you just take the thou on longer rides???
« Last Edit: 17 March 2014, 09:36:19 am by noggythenog »
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Lez72

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 March 2014, 01:15:32 pm »
It's a good question Noggy and one I will struggle to answer but here goes:

I have explained before in other threads that over the 5 years I have owned the Gen 1 I have pretty much made it as mint as I can get it. I fell in love with it. I discovered it was a better bike than I ever believed it would be. I bought it with the intention of using it and then 'prettied it up'. I then decide it was 'too nice to use' and bought the boxeye in order to get my biking fix. That's the reason I bought the boxeye and in fairness (although I keep it as clean as possible) it seems to have worked and I get out on it as often as work and weather allow. I still use the Gen 1 but I am very selective in it's use and if the conditions are not perfect it doesn't come out. For most of my biking life (25yrs) I have owned more than one bike at a time. I think a lot of bikers do or have done at some point. This is not down to luck. It is down to hard work and the fact that it has always been my major passion and I am not in to loads of other things so my money usually goes on bikes and biking related pastimes.

However, due to the fact of the amount I have used the boxeye I have noticed it's flaws. Well probably not flaws but its (in my opinion) limitations. I find it excellent at 100 - 150 mile ride outs but find it pretty tiresome and a little bit lacking in the umphh and size department at mileages above this. I also intend to be doing a bit more 2 up mileage and feel I need a few more ponies to do it comfortably.

I had toyed with the idea of getting another Gen 1 so I could keep my current one in nice condition and use for the occasional ride out. After all, the Gen 1 laughs In the face of bigger mileages (yes, I did use it lots when I first bought it) and I know it would fit my needs but there are 2 things putting me off having another 1) If I am going to spend money on another bike it would be nice to have something different 2) I fancy something a bit more modern.

I have started looking at a few different bikes recently but the FZ8 just looks like good value for money. It seems like a lot of bike for the money. I have toyed with the idea of something like a Triumph Tiger 1050 (still not ruled that one out) as it looks ultra comfortable and I can imagine it having mega mile munching abilities but when you look at the 2nd hand prices they are pretty expensive. This is great if you have one but makes obtaining one harder. I have a budget, as do most people, and I also love the Fazer brand of motorcycles so therefore have turned my attentions towards the FZ8. I imagine it to be comfortable, well fuelled, a little less buzzy than the boxeye and with just enough of a power hike to keep me interested. I also imagine it to be a bit more civilised than the Gen 2 (which you may also think is an option) with a power delivery that more suits my needs but this is hypothetical as I haven't ridden an FZ8 or a Gen 2 yet. therefore, this is the reason I was asking for more informed opinions of the FZ8 and believed the FZ8 section of the forum was the place to do it.

I have also been to look at the FZ8 recently at CMC in Clay Cross and I actually really liked it in the flesh. I find the styling really appealing and (as far as you can tell by sitting on a bike in a dealers) it felt pretty comfortable. Also, not every Tom, Dick and Harry has one which I also find appealing.

I hope that in some part this has answered your query  :\

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 March 2014, 02:24:51 pm »

Hey Lez, maybe an fz8 owner will be along soon & they always seem very happy with them, if quiet.i have youth on my side so the little 600 feels fine to me on 300 milers....the only fatigue i get is because im thrashing it & concentrating so hard but that's what i like.

I'm feeling your pain as i read your ocd thread so only thing id say is that surely with a newer bike like the 8 you will again fall into that trap of not wanting to ride it....do you maybe need something old & scabby that you dont mind getting messy?...you must have some kind of emotional attachment to that bike.....i always say to myself that summer dirt is fine but winter dirt is evil.....dust in the summer wont do a bike any harm without salt &you  know a bit of chain lube seems to seal things rather than rot them out

I too am after a 2nd bike....& why not........i dont soend £15 every night in the pub like some folk, i dont smoke & ive worked my arse off so why cant i enjoy this luxury.

But my old fazer now isnt the bike for me to keep immaculate....it has been down the road & seen some abuse but strangely as a result i am actually more inclined to ride it & not so fussy about how clean it needs to be.

Im after a TRX 850 i reckon....if i can find a mint one....only for the best of sunny days, something a bit different & head turning...like your thou is to you i suppose.

Lez72

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 March 2014, 03:14:31 pm »
Hey Noggy, You have obviously read and understood what I have written and (I don't know how old you are but you say you have youth on your side) but I can see that a lot of what you have said makes perfect sense and you obviously have a logical head on your young shoulders. I can't even really put forward a reasoned argument.

You may well be right that I could fall into the same trap with a newer bike, that I would end up not wanting to use it. The only thing I will say in my defence there is, with the Gen 1 I feel that it is on the way to, or will one day reach 'classic' status probably within my lifetime and therefore in some ways that's why I want to try and preserve it. I feel a bit 'I've got a nice one so don't spoil it' with the Gen 1. With a newer machine I might not be as protective over it in that sense as it would be easier to replace and would not be sought after for decades yet, so to speak, so it might be easier just to get on it and enjoy it. I really don't know.

I use the boxeye quite a bit but still clean it religiously after a ride and it never gets used through the winter and that's the kind of use I would be using my new steed for. I still wouldn't want to put it through the harshest of our weather so I believe I could keep on top of it. The response to that could be, "If you can keep on top of a newer bike then surely you can keep on top of the Gen 1". The answer is "Yes, I could" but if I binned it, it would be 'Game Over'. Again, I could maybe replace it with another Gen 1 but that wouldn't be 'My' Gen 1, would it ?

I think in every bikers life there is a bike that they like/love/adore above all others and if they sell/crash/ruin it in some way they end up regretting it. That's not a road I want to go down with the Gen 1.

In answer to 'buying something old and scabby that I don't mind getting messy', that's in some part why I bought the boxeye. I then ended up tidying that up and making it pretty too but with the boxeye I have still managed to get my head round using it. I think the logical answer is to just be content with the boxeye and ignore its little flaws but I feel I have outgrown it a little. Besides, we are bikers, we are always looking for different biking experiences, that's what we do and like you, I don't drink or smoke (anymore) so it doesn't do any harm to have a little look at alternatives and dream a little does it ?

Again, I must thank you for understanding the nature of this thread and I hope that (although it doesn't make a lot of sense to me at times) you and others may accept my angle. I wish you all the best in your search for a TRX. I've always liked them and there are some real minters about if you are lucky enough to drop on one. Surely another classic in the making  ;)

P.S. Maybe the draining feeling I have when getting back from a ride on the boxeye is down to concentration and hanging on too but maybe that's the problem. Maybe I need something a touch more relaxed now. I would really miss the boxeye if I decided to swap but my old man already has his eye on it so I know it won't be going far and it would be looked after  :lol

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 March 2014, 04:30:39 pm »

Ye well i say young......young...ish....almost 32, & i have actually had back surgery & i've got a few aches & pains here & there but i still dont find the old fzs a tiring bike in the sense of it has a massively spongey seat & Renthals & is pretty armchair like......those fazer 8's only have a a thin seat in comparison..

But i do think that most folk see the fzs600 as an old commuter without realising its true spirit...it loves to be thrashed...& high up the revs is where it wants to be & before you know it you're thinking hmmm actually the revs are just coming on song here..oh well i'll just pass another 3 cars & before you know it you're way over the tonne & looking in the mirrors for the federales...it is quite the little beast really...by all accounts i think the fazer 8 will be the same...maybe even more so rev happy like the gen 2 thous are......where are these 8 owners to give some actual proof....im just theorising here.maybe a lazier revving beast like the tdm 900 is what you need...high up & relaxing & comfortable even if not entirely exciting...low down grunt & lazy gear changes & taking in the scenery....& i dont think they'll ever get cult status either....plus they look easy to clean. :)

Also it is hard to get the fzs600 suspension settings right.....i think I've finally got there now...hard on the rear & soft on the front with 5 rings showing is actually making my bike quicker on the corners whilst at the same time being more comfortable...it is soaking up the bumps & making me more confident...i had it all wrong in my mind thinking a stiff front must be the way forward but somehow it just isnt......so i'm 2 from top on the rear too which gives stiff rear, soft front....maybe just works for me though....plus all fzs600 really need the suspension seeing to as an upgrade.

Lez72

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 March 2014, 06:53:38 pm »
Yes you're right. The FZS600 is marketed as a bit of a commuter but it definitely performs better when being thrashed. I find the engine much more sports bike orientated than touring orientated.

I think the TDM850's are a bit thin on the ground these days and finding a nice one is like finding a needle in a haystack. It would be a bit like your TRX search. It's possible but would take a long time. Still, I'm in no rush I guess and there are plenty of TDM 900's around (don't know if they are any better ?).

I'm surprised no FZ8 owners have been along yet to give their opinion. I know you don't see loads of them about but they can't be that exclusive can they ?

Still liking the Triumph Tiger 1050's though but expensive 2nd hand and brand loyalty keeps me looking at Yamaha alternatives  :rolleyes

By the way, you make some interesting points about the suspension. Maybe the softer front end just soaks up the road imperfections better and prevents the ride being quite so 'choppy'.

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 March 2014, 09:09:02 pm »

I'm surprised no FZ8 owners have been along yet to give their opinion. I know you don't see loads of them about but they can't be that exclusive can they ?

Well the thread title is "Previous FZS600 Owners" and you did ask "Hi folks. Has anyone on here moved over to an FZ8 from an FZS600 ?"

What did you expect  :rollin

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 March 2014, 09:18:16 pm »
http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,410.msg7507.html#msg7507

Since then, I've now done 38,000 miles. I've added an Ohlins fully adjustable shock which is a lot better than the original obviously. I think after a couple of years the shock lost some of what little damping it had. I also got some stiffer fork springs at the same time. I've still got the rear set up fairly soft, but its better overall. I got them 2nd hand off the local shop, he had them on his own Fazer8.

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,3445.msg29983/topicseen.html#msg29983

I've also added a gel pad in the seat, and later another to the top of the seat as that was quite thin as standard.
I'll dig off the posts of those for you as a reference.

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,8932.msg102252.html#msg102252
« Last Edit: 17 March 2014, 09:21:55 pm by Phil »

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 March 2014, 09:19:04 pm »
Oh, and the only way you will find out of you like the Fazer8 is if you have a test ride on one.

fazercol

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 March 2014, 05:32:19 pm »
Ok here goes, I bought a FZS600 as a hack as I have a XJR1300 that I have blinged up so wanted something I could ride any weather then the wife pasted her test rode the FZS and wanted it now I loved the FZS so I bought the FZ8.

I found it more comfortable to ride just as good handling (it is a bit better) it does what it says on the tin.
I,ve now got to the point where I just don't have the time to ride two bikes so one has to go so as much as I love it the XJR is going.

Having said all that its looking like I might lose the FZ8 to the wife as she wants to upgrade but as I bought the white one which is wanted I will by another one in black.
Hope this helps with your question.

positron

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 May 2014, 02:27:32 pm »
I own a Fzs600, and don't own a Fazer 8 but I am thinking of this upgrade.

I  am in Costa del Sold on holidays, so I took the opportunity to rent out a  faired Fz8 Fazer up to Ronda. Two up with the wife who has never been pillion on bikes before.

Oh my god!! Two days later I  still smiling about it. What a bike. What a road. And what an amazing part of the world!!

Coming from fzs600 I felt right at home on fz8. Tiny tiny bit more leaned over, but great wide bars tank and fairing giving great confidence on the road. First time riding with pillion and first time riding twisties, I thought it would be tricky, but some credit goes to Fz8 making leaning and switching side to side so easy and fun. Plenty of power, although I am not the aggressive power rider, I was doing San Pedro to Ronda super relaxed doing 70-80 kmph (speed limit is 60 for most part). Then to el bergo, coin and a blast on the motorway, the bike just sings and shoots forward, 80 to 160 acceleration was so quick it was such a rush, coming from an fzs600.

And roads. Wow. I am certainly going to do it again on my next trip, probably towards el chorro. Awsome quality twisties, stunning scenery, amazing food, sun splitting stones..!! As you can tell I am still on that high.

I will def be upgrading to an fz8.

positron

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 May 2014, 02:37:19 pm »
Sorry about the silly autocorrects, I am on the phone. I forgot to mention couple of small issues. Wife found the rear foot pegs too high, but that could be from her doing this for the first time ever. While climbing down the mountain, I had to take most of her weight on my back leading to tired wrists, which I am not sure if anything can be done to improve. By the end of the day, there was a very district feeling of heat rising up from just below the seat, felt right at the bum, Is this normal? In any case that's probably not a bad thing in UK or Ireland.

CharlieDee

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 May 2014, 03:02:54 pm »
Well I have just swapped from an FZS 600 which a adored... via a VFR 800 which was absolute sh*te and only had for 3 months to A Gen 1.... I have a smile on my face every time I take it out on the road.. its mega in comparison to the 600... and now I would like the latest low miler Gen 1 I can get my hands on and have as my main bike for the next 2-3 years at least(or longer)... it ticks all the boxes for me.. and rides well on my country lanes around where I live.. and tours big distance with no hassle!! A Gen 2 maybe bought in a short while for those spirited runs out on a Sunday morning with the boys.  :smokin
I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!