Date: 25-04-24  Time: 16:11 pm

Author Topic: Picture of ignition key needed please.  (Read 6274 times)

Lez72

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Picture of ignition key needed please.
« on: 23 September 2013, 05:19:22 pm »
Hi foccers. Can anyone post me up a picture of a genuine Gen 1 FZS1000 ignition key please. I have only ever had one key with my bike and as its got a Meta 357T alarm fitted with the remote on the head of the key I don't actually know what design the head of the key is  :\  The reason for this is that I would like to have a spare key but Fowlers have stated that Yamaha don't list a blank key for the Gen 1. I therefore need to search the tinternet for one but want to know what design the head of the key is to allow me to get a looky likey  :)
Wow, that was long winded.
Yamaha Fazer 'the only bike you'll ever need' maybe ???

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
Re: Picture of ignition key needed please.
« Reply #1 on: 23 September 2013, 05:23:01 pm »
have yoy tried THOMSONS down the high street  ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

rik

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 September 2013, 05:25:31 pm »
ebay blank yam key :lol

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 September 2013, 05:27:24 pm »
I was just gonna say, your local key cutter should be able to get you the right one. Just tell him it's a Yamaha key. If not, I can get you a key blank and post it to you. My local key cutter/shoe repair shop got me one in to cut a spare for me. Top is the same shape as the original.

Lez72

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 September 2013, 06:02:16 pm »
I was just gonna say, your local key cutter should be able to get you the right one. Just tell him it's a Yamaha key. If not, I can get you a key blank and post it to you. My local key cutter/shoe repair shop got me one in to cut a spare for me. Top is the same shape as the original.
Thanks for the responses guys. I know I won't have an issue getting a 'Yamaha Key Blank' but I want to get the right one for the Gen 1 and wanted to know what it looked like. If you have a look on ebay you will see that there have been numerous 'key head' designs over the years and as I have never seen the 'key head' for my Gen 1 key (due to the Meta alarm fob) I wanted to know which one to purchase. Yes, I know it's anal. I could just settle for a spare key but I want to settle for the 'right' spare key.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 September 2013, 06:46:35 pm »
Red98, I presume you mean Timpsons :lol

Lez you'll probably get whatever shape the key blank manufacturers are currently producing.
I wouldn't go to Timpsons they are double dear with a capital D.

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 September 2013, 02:37:21 pm »
I bought two blanks of the net and went to my local key cutter. He had them on the shelf, and to add insult to injury, his were cheaper and he didn't charge delivery.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 September 2013, 03:00:23 pm »
Red98, I presume you mean Timpsons :lol

Lez you'll probably get whatever shape the key blank manufacturers are currently producing.
I wouldn't go to Timpsons they are double dear with a capital D.

thats the one  :lol ....iam old and aloud to make sekatsim  :rollin :rollin :rollin
One, is never going to be enough.....

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile

Lez72

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 October 2013, 12:43:00 am »
A little update: For those that are interested I rung Fowlers Yamaha to see if they did a key blank for my 2002 Gen 1 as I wanted an original 'Yamaha' key. They stated that they didn't make a key blank for that model  :eek  and that I wouldn't be able to get one.
I was having none of that so I did a bit of searching on the world wide web and discovered that Yamaha did list a key blank for a 2004 model onwards. To my mind it would be the same as the 2002 model key due to the changeover year arriving in 2006 and as far as I was aware the ignition and lock design didn't change between these dates.
How right was I  :b . I ordered part number 4BH-82511-09 and my shiny new key blank arrived a few days later. Its also the exact same key design as my 98 Boxeye so why Yamaha don't list it for the Gen 1 1000 I have no idea.
Anyways, the drama continued when I took the key to 'Timpsons' to be cut. The fella serving took one look at it and said, "Sorry mate, we only cut keys supplied by ourselves. We don't touch anything else".  Aren't Timpsons the largest key cutting service in the UK ? Numerous thoughts ran through my head but I thought it better to put the key back in my pocket and walk out without saying anything.
I ended up at a key cutters just down the road from where I live that cut the key with no hassles for £5. Result. Oh yes, it fits all the locks and ignition too which I thought was a bonus.
In brief, if anyone needs a genuine Yamaha key blank for their FZS600 up to 2003 or Gen 1 1000, the part number is 4BH-82511-09. It'll cost you about £11 posted and around another £5 to have it cut. Alternatively you could just have a looky likey key supplied and cut by a local key cutter for about £10. I'm pretty anal about things like this though so it had to ben a genuine Yamaha one for me. Finally, if someone gives you an answer you're not happy with in life, don't fall at the 1st hurdle. Keep trying. In the above post this refers to both 'Yamaha' and 'Timpsons'  :)

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 October 2013, 09:53:12 am »
That's crazy... previous owner gave me two keys for my 600 - one was a blank though so I needed to get it cut

Walked in to Timpsons and got it cut there and then and the guy didn't even charge me for it! Just said that he wouldn't accept any responsibility if it didn't work properly as its not something they usually cut

Is Timpsons a franchise?

Lez72

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 October 2013, 05:40:44 pm »
That's crazy... previous owner gave me two keys for my 600 - one was a blank though so I needed to get it cut

Walked in to Timpsons and got it cut there and then and the guy didn't even charge me for it! Just said that he wouldn't accept any responsibility if it didn't work properly as its not something they usually cut

Is Timpsons a franchise?
I'm not sure, they might be a franchise. I would have been well prepared to have stomached the risk of it being cut incorrectly but I wasn't going to argue with the bloke. I tend not to waste my breath these days. I was thinking about finding another Timpsons to see if I got the same response again but I didn't want to waste anymore of my time so I supported a local business instead. Its Timpsons loss which i'm sure they won't lose any sleep over but they might if it happens enough times to give them a bad rep. Lets be honest, there is only one reason he wouldn't do it and that's because he wouldn't have been able to charge me as much as cutting one of their own blanks.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 October 2013, 12:20:40 am »
Yeah, you are perfectly right - I wouldn't have gone back if that's the response I was given

Figured it might be a franchise (too lazy to search) due to the complete and utter opposite experiences we each had :)

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 October 2013, 09:59:25 am »
Well I've taken the decision to stop cutting customer supplied keys.

The reasons being that the majority of them are cheap ebay car key shells/blades. These are usually shiitty metal that the blades struggle with and blunts them pretty quick and twice broken them. At £40-50 a pop that's bad business.

Also due to the difficulties in cutting, often they don't work. Sometimes running them through again cures it but usually it's focced.

Now it doesn't matter how much you've told the punter it's at their risk, when it happens they keep bugging you to try it again and/or kick off.

So that fiver I'd charge originally has cost me time, money, patience and lost a customer. And it always happens when you've got a few people in the shop, so foc it - no more!

I know the original yam key should be good quality but a key the same shape with Silca written on it for £7.00 is all your getting :lol