Date: 29-03-24  Time: 13:03 pm

Author Topic: Flat Battery  (Read 4499 times)

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Flat Battery
« on: 29 November 2018, 08:22:13 pm »
Meant to be reasonable day tomorrow, so thought I would take the big bike! Alas a flat battery has put a stop to that. My Aldi charger won't even try to start to charge it as its so low, 1.5 volts. It has sat for about 3 months and is possibly the original battery.

Can I jump start the bike from the car or is there too many amps for the bike system?

The alternative I guess is too bump start it, but Im not to sure how to do that, can someone give me a step by step guide?  :o

Cheers
Nick
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Flat Battery
« Reply #1 on: 29 November 2018, 09:23:54 pm »
Meant to be reasonable day tomorrow, so thought I would take the big bike! Alas a flat battery has put a stop to that. My Aldi charger won't even try to start to charge it as its so low, 1.5 volts. It has sat for about 3 months and is possibly the original battery.

Can I jump start the bike from the car or is there too many amps for the bike system?

The alternative I guess is too bump start it, but Im not to sure how to do that, can someone give me a step by step guide?  :o
Cheers
Nick
Easier if you are on a hill as you can sit on it and roll with the clutch in and the bike in 1st or I think 2nd is better - fling out the clutch and it should start up.
Otherwise on the flat you run along the side and push it and do the same with the clutch but at the same time you jump on the bike and the bump as you jump on is I believe where the term comes from. If you dont do this then without and weight on the back wheel it will just lock the wheel and skid.
Having said that I would never attempt it like that myself, I would sit on it and get some one to push on the flat.   
But remember that if you stop and the battery is fooked then you will have do start it again the same way
« Last Edit: 29 November 2018, 09:24:53 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 November 2018, 09:42:35 pm »
If it's at 1.5V it's probably for the bin but if it's not been discharged for too long sometimes they will come back. You can try charging it and see if it comes back by you connecting another battery in parallel with the dead one and then connecting your charger. Connections in parallel have the same voltage across them so the charger will see the voltage of the good battery and turn on. Parallel between two batteries is connecting positive terminal to positive terminal with a wire and negative terminal to negative terminal with a second wire. If you have jumper cables use them to make the connections. They are large enough diameters that they won't over heat. After you connect the two batteries together connect the charger as normal to one of the batteries and it should come on and start charging the two batteries. Leave it for about half an hour and then plug out the charger and disconnect the batteries hopefully the dead battery is now up to a voltage where the charger will come on when you connect it to the charger by itself and you can charge it like normal the rest of the way.

If you want to push start the bike as fazersharp said turn the ignition on, put the kill switch to run, pull the clutch in, put the bike in second gear and run with the clutch held in, once you get to your top speed release the clutch. If you were running fast enough the engine should start. You have to immediately pull the clutch lever again to stop the bike driving off without you :lol

You can also jump it off a car. I haven't done that myself so I won't tell you how to do that but if I was doing it I'd keep the car engine off in case the car alternator caused problems for the bike. But I don't know if that is really a problem or not.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 November 2018, 10:12:12 pm »
If you want to try His Dudeness’s suggestion of paralleling the batteries, you can use a 21 W indicator bulb in series (i.e between the two positive terminals) as a current limit. If it glows brightly that’s good news, keep it in circuit until it goes out. That way, if the battery is recoverable you won’t damage it with an excessive charging current.

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 November 2018, 10:27:30 pm »
As you said you were going to take out the "big" bike - why don't you jump it from the "little" bike ?  :)

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 November 2018, 10:43:33 pm »
I love this site, thank you.

Little bike is a ybr125, not sure if its 12v or 6v but that's a good idea Millietant.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

BMCfaz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 November 2018, 10:58:20 pm »
I've jump started bikes from the car many times without any problems.

As has already been said, though, it's all very well starting it at home, just don't let the engine stop, unless you're on a hill and can roll down for a bump start!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 November 2018, 05:53:56 am »
Bringing a 15+ year old 12 volt battery back from 1.5 volts is a huge ask, and i promise you the battery will never be reliable again.

If you attempt a bump start it is most definitely advised to do it on a downhill gradient in 2nd gear, otherwise it will be you that needs the jump leads.
Make sure all other electrics are switched off when doing so, like headlights, heated grips, spotlights, Xmas fairy lights, etc.

I will be bold though and say your battery has had it, and it's definitely time to treat the bike to an overdue Xmas present.
Don't go for the cheapest one you can find because it will end up as false economy. Buy a good branded name like Motobatt or Yuasa, and look for one that has extra cranking power, as they are tried and tested but still at a reasonably sensible price.
And be sure to look at the exact measurements of the battery in comparison to yours, as i've seen it before where they can somehow be totally different even though they're listed as suitable for your bike. I don't think the year of the bike will really matter, the battery compartments should all be the same on these bikes.

It says this is the right one, but i'd still do a quick measurement if i was you.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-FZS-600-Fazer-2003-CT12B-4-CT12B-BS-Motobatt-Motorcycle-Battery-Upgrade/352456036581?epid=20025980731&hash=item52100450e5:g:N8wAAOSwqj9bkm7t:rk:10:pf:0
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 November 2018, 10:02:44 am »
I love this site, thank you.

Little bike is a ybr125, not sure if its 12v or 6v but that's a good idea Millietant.
Asking a 5AH battery to start a 600cc motor that’s not been turned over in 3 months is a tall order.  I’d use a car battery.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 November 2018, 10:31:24 am »
A friend told me the other day that the shops won't let you fill the battery yourself with the acid pack at home any more. He said they have to fill and seal it prior to purchase now. Can anyone confirm this?.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 November 2018, 11:04:01 am »
I would advise investing in one of thesehttps://www.ctek.com/products/vehicle/mxs-3-8Aabout 6 years ago I brought the Yam branded one and it brought back to life a flat battery after about 24 hours of doing its special thing . It is also a maintainer and I keep the bike connected to it when not in use which could sometimes be up to 6 weeks. My battery is 20 years old -- it can not last much longer can it ?If I go out it may be for a few hours without any stops, or I may make many stops - if I am trawling all the local Aldi's looking for the correct size base layer special buy. The max time I have left it off charge is about 9 hours.

As a kid we always used to bump start lightweight field bikes and you had to really jump up in the air and land down on it (with a bump ) at the same time as letting out the clutch and your weight landing on it helped the back wheel to not just skid along the mud.     
« Last Edit: 01 December 2018, 11:02:21 am by fazersharp »

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 November 2018, 11:23:31 am »

Blimey 20 years old must be a record for a battery surely!.

Mine's on it's third in 15 years.

Dynspud

• Club Racer
  • Rattle your goddamn head!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - HD Dyna Wide Glide Evo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 November 2018, 12:38:23 pm »
Fazerider is spot on regards the CTEK charger.
I've had one permanently connected to missus' Foxeye 600 for the last 6 years and it has never let us down.
That includes the bike having an alarm fitted and the bike not moving for several weeks at a time.
Fantastic bit of kit.
Take a deep breath, coz it all starts now, when you pull the foccin' pin

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 November 2018, 12:53:08 pm »
Fazerider is spot on regards the CTEK charger.
I've had one permanently connected to missus' Foxeye 600 for the last 6 years and it has never let us down.
That includes the bike having an alarm fitted and the bike not moving for several weeks at a time.
Fantastic bit of kit.
Sharp - not Rider.
Is yours the yam one or Cteck. Mine being the yam branded one I am not sure on the exact model but it has a car mode and bike mode, and a revive program as well as maintain. And looks like the link I posted I have a permanent connection to the battery with a lead that tucks away under the seat and just plug it in when I get back from a ride.         

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 November 2018, 01:09:41 pm »
A friend told me the other day that the shops won't let you fill the battery yourself with the acid pack at home any more. He said they have to fill and seal it prior to purchase now. Can anyone confirm this?.

Yes, I think thats now the case. I tried to buy some battery acid last month, and the garage told me they werent allowed to sell it anymore. I had to take the battery to them to fill.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 30 November 2018, 01:13:36 pm »
Most modern battery chargers wont recognise a battery if it drops below a certain voltage. I think mine fails if the voltage drops to below 9 volts. I can revive them somewhat, with a voltage regulator/convertor Ive had for years, input is 240v ac and I can have varying outputs 0-12v dc, then put the charger on

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30 November 2018, 01:29:59 pm »
Most modern battery chargers wont recognise a battery if it drops below a certain voltage. I think mine fails if the voltage drops to below 9 volts. I can revive them somewhat, with a voltage regulator/convertor Ive had for years, input is 240v ac and I can have varying outputs 0-12v dc, then put the charger on
I think the Cteck one uses some sort of special programming that (they say) can revive batteries other chargers can not.
They also badge them up for the likes of Rolls royce/ Jag - and so on (or other top marques ).

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 November 2018, 01:48:00 pm »

How does that work when buying online then?

Dynspud

• Club Racer
  • Rattle your goddamn head!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - HD Dyna Wide Glide Evo
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30 November 2018, 02:07:48 pm »
Sorry Fazersharp, obviously I'm not sharp enough to remember whose post I am replying to  :oops

Mine is the CTEK one, which I bought off the internet.
It's the XS 0.8 bike specific one and it did a great job of recovering the battery after it had gone completely flat, which is why I bought it.
Take a deep breath, coz it all starts now, when you pull the foccin' pin

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30 November 2018, 03:47:44 pm »
On Halfords site:

What Is Changing?

From July 1st 2018, the law around motorcycle batteries is changing. After this date, anyone wishing to buy a motorcycle battery with a separate acid pack will require an Explosives, Precursors and Poisons (EPP) Licence, costing £39.50. Purchasing acid packs without a licence will be illegal and could incur a fine. To keep things simple for you, we will no longer sell batteries with separate acid packs after July 1st. Instead, we will only stock pre-filled motorcycle batteries from Yuasa - the leading motorcycle battery brand. You won't need a licence to buy these pre-filled batteries and they come fully charged, ready to fit.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 30 November 2018, 03:49:29 pm »

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 30 November 2018, 08:01:43 pm »
Cheers darrsi. Top posts. :thumbup

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #22 on: 30 November 2018, 11:32:16 pm »

If anyone is thinking of jump starting a fuel injected bike from a car *DO NOT* have the car engine running, otherwise you could fry the bike's electrics!

I have an Optimate charger which claims to be able to recover deep-discharged batteries, although I've never tried it.

Note, however, that if one (or more) of the cells has died, it will still register as fully charged, but you'll have less power to crank the engine. I found this out when a brand new battery failed very soon after fitting it.

The only way to check properly is to find a friendly local garage and get them to put a drop-tester on it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01 December 2018, 10:03:12 am »

If anyone is thinking of jump starting a fuel injected bike from a car *DO NOT* have the car engine running, otherwise you could fry the bike's electrics!

I have an Optimate charger which claims to be able to recover deep-discharged batteries, although I've never tried it.

Note, however, that if one (or more) of the cells has died, it will still register as fully charged, but you'll have less power to crank the engine. I found this out when a brand new battery failed very soon after fitting it.

The only way to check properly is to find a friendly local garage and get them to put a drop-tester on it.

Once he tells them it's 20 years old i don't think the test will really be necessary.  :lol
« Last Edit: 01 December 2018, 12:58:38 pm by darrsi »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 01 December 2018, 11:00:41 am »
Sorry Fazersharp, obviously I'm not sharp enough to remember whose post I am replying to  :oops

Mine is the CTEK one, which I bought off the internet.
It's the XS 0.8 bike specific one and it did a great job of recovering the battery after it had gone completely flat, which is why I bought it.
Mine is the CTEK MX 5.0 I think is the same apart from mine also has a car mode