Date: 19-04-24  Time: 20:25 pm

Author Topic: Tyre Size  (Read 3164 times)

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Tyre Size
« on: 04 June 2016, 03:28:32 pm »
I currently have bt23's front and rear. The front is a 110/70ZR17.
I can't find anywhere that has this size front in Michelin PR4's. nearest is 120.
Im looking and comparing prices etc, available for the PR3's
Anyone know why this is? My understanding is the tyre is 10m wider will it still fit.

Cheers
Nick
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
Re: Tyre Size
« Reply #1 on: 04 June 2016, 04:02:14 pm »
Stick with the correct size tire for the rim. Really not worth risking an over size tire especially on the front
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #2 on: 04 June 2016, 05:33:49 pm »
Metzeler Sportec M5 Interact are available in 110/70 size.

M7, as well as the touring models Z6 and Z8 - all good tyres (M5 being my favourite).
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

flakey

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 June 2016, 07:27:54 pm »
i'm running Bridgstone t30 front and back, really like them, as good as the michelins ive had on previous bikes, much better than the Metzler shiiit ive had before/never again. each to there own but the bridgstones are really nice :)

Slaninar

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #4 on: 04 June 2016, 07:40:36 pm »
i'm running Bridgstone t30 front and back, really like them, as good as the michelins ive had on previous bikes, much better than the Metzler shiiit ive had before/never again. each to there own but the bridgstones are really nice :)

What Metzeler model have you tried before? Not the models I've recommended I believe.

flakey

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 June 2016, 07:53:51 pm »
I had metzeler m1 sportec highly recommended to me so I had a set fitted on a sv650s a few years ago and all I can say what absolute pill of crap they were, they were so bad I threw them away after just 3 weeks and being skint at the time I bought second hand michelin's from a well known internet auction site. I would ride spiritdly and the front would slide/push wide about a 30cms/1 foot into every corner-never actually let go completely tho,  I will never ride any bike with them on again and certainly wont waste my money again-Metzelers are certainly not for me. no Bull-shit they really were that bad

Michelin are very confidence inspiring (my opinion) currently dont make a pr4 in fzs600 size for the front.
Bridgstone are very confidence inspiring (my opinion) fzs600 sizes available

SORRY if this offends anyone

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 June 2016, 08:09:21 pm »
Ok thats fine. So PR4's are out, narrows down the choices. Only ever had bridgestone so want a change also have confidence issues but thats on another thread.
 PR3's being the front runner now. Heard good and bad about the Metzelers which is weird so will stay away i think. Not heard anything bad about the PR3. just knock off Pirelli and dunlop now.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #7 on: 04 June 2016, 08:18:35 pm »
I've had good and crappy tyres from most manufacturers. Metzeler Sportec M5 Interact are among the best ones as far as grip goes.

Continental Road Attack 2 (not 1) are the best in terms of letting you know how much grip you have, but not lasting long and poorer in the wet then the M5s.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 June 2016, 08:35:51 pm »

Fit a PR3 front and PR4 rear to the 600, I have that combination and it is very good.

I also found that the PR3 front wear pattern is much better than the PR4, a few I know have noticed the same and have gone the PR3 front PR4 rear combination. Only option on the 600 if you want PRs

The other option is a Metzler Sportec M7, which I have on the 1000 and are an awesome tyre. Good wear, I have 3000 fast miles on them on the 1000 and no squaring off. Great grip and turn in.

If anyone think the M5 are good they should try the M7. Only fault I had with the old M5 was that they wore out to quick. M7 s are wearing much better. I have gone through M5s in 3000 miles whereas the M7 has 3000 fast miles and is almost like new, more side wear than centre.

I found that the wear pattern on the Front Metzler Z8 on the 600 was not great, a bit like the Michelin PR4 on the 1000. Took them off both bikes when they were half worn, no confidence in them at all wet or dry.

Nice thing about the Metzlers including the M7s is they do not stand the bike up if you have to brake mid corner (don''t ask how I know that)  :lol
I have not tried the T30 but have heard good reports on them

Flakey Sportec M1s are gone off the market with 10 years, they were a great tyre back then. I track dayed with them in dry and wet, never once let go. Only fault I had with them is they only lasted 2500 miles on the 600
Quite possible you got a set that were well outside there date and had gone hard.

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 June 2016, 09:22:49 pm »

Fit a PR3 front and PR4 rear to the 600, I have that combination and it is very good.

I also found that the PR3 front wear pattern is much better than the PR4, a few I know have noticed the same and have gone the PR3 front PR4 rear combination. Only option on the 600 if you want PRs

The other option is a Metzler Sportec M7, which I have on the 1000 and are an awesome tyre. Good wear, I have 3000 fast miles on them on the 1000 and no squaring off. Great grip and turn in.

If anyone think the M5 are good they should try the M7. Only fault I had with the old M5 was that they wore out to quick. M7 s are wearing much better. I have gone through M5s in 3000 miles whereas the M7 has 3000 fast miles and is almost like new, more side wear than centre.

I found that the wear pattern on the Front Metzler Z8 on the 600 was not great, a bit like the Michelin PR4 on the 1000. Took them off both bikes when they were half worn, no confidence in them at all wet or dry.

Nice thing about the Metzlers including the M7s is they do not stand the bike up if you have to brake mid corner (don''t ask how I know that)  :lol

Flakey Sportec M1s are gone off the market with 10 years, they were a great tyre back then. I track dayed with them in dry and wet, never once let go. Only fault I had with them is they only lasted 2500 miles on the 600
Quite possible you got a set that were well outside there date and had gone hard.

Some interesting ideas there unfazed.
They say don't mix tyres but guessing that the PR4 supersedes the PR3 then thats ok. Metzelers back in then.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 June 2016, 10:52:33 pm »
Forgot to mention, stay with the 110 option it suits the bike better, I have ridden ones with the 120 and found it slowed the steering and I just did not like it.

Usually it is not wise to mix different manufactures or totally different tyres types, but the PR3 and Pr4 are really from the same stable and I know a few who have gone with the Pr3 front Pr4 rear and find it a good combination.

The Sportec M7s are probably more expensive than the Pr3 Pr4 combination. If you do go that M7 route the tyre profile makes for very quick turn in, but I have found  they are very stable with good feel.
« Last Edit: 05 June 2016, 09:24:21 am by unfazed »

Slaninar

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #11 on: 04 June 2016, 11:35:24 pm »
For the front I'd go with M5 since it's practically the same as the M7, but less expensive. The rear M7 has harder compound in the middle to improve life. On M5 rear, different belt tension was used to simulate the effect, but the rear M7 does a better job at that.

A friend who used to race also has high regard for Bridgestone, Metzeler (and Pirelli) for the use of steel belts instead of canvas ones used in Michelin for example - says that in case of puncture, the steel ones are more likely to buy you enough time to slow down or even stop before getting on the rim.
« Last Edit: 04 June 2016, 11:37:11 pm by Slaninar »

Bimbam

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 June 2016, 09:34:12 am »
I have the Metzler Sportstec M7 RR and i like it a lot. Very fast in corners. Had the Interact Z8 before and this is a nice tyre too, but M7 RR feels safer and faster.
Dont try to be the best in town, just be the best, until the best come arround

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 June 2016, 09:41:50 am »
I have the Metzler Sportstec M7 RR and i like it a lot. Very fast in corners. Had the Interact Z8 before and this is a nice tyre too, but M7 RR feels safer and faster.

:thumbup

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 June 2016, 10:34:08 am »

Some interesting ideas there unfazed.
They say don't mix tyres but guessing that the PR4 supersedes the PR3 then thats ok. Metzelers back in then.

Who's 'they'??? The businessmen who'd prefer you to buy two tyres rather than one?
I've ALWAYS mixed tyres, in fact after about 29 years riding i don't think i've ever bought a pair of tyres at the  same time due to wear differences.

Currently on a T30 rear and a BT023 front, a bit by misfortune, but as it turned out a very reliable and confidence boosting mix of tyres.
Bad/wet weather means nothing, i can lean the bike in confidence on a soaking wet road as if it was a hot summers day.
I particularly like the extra deep tread pattern on the BT023 on the front, not only will it last ages but it's very confidence boosting.  :thumbup
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 05 June 2016, 10:58:51 am »

Who's 'they'??? The businessmen who'd prefer you to buy two tyres rather than one?
I've ALWAYS mixed tyres, in fact after about 29 years riding i don't think i've ever bought a pair of tyres at the  same time due to wear differences.

Currently on a T30 rear and a BT023 front, a bit by misfortune, but as it turned out a very reliable and confidence boosting mix of tyres.
Bad/wet weather means nothing, i can lean the bike in confidence on a soaking wet road as if it was a hot summers day.
I particularly like the extra deep tread pattern on the BT023 on the front, not only will it last ages but it's very confidence boosting.  :thumbup

+1 on mixing tyres
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

Slaninar

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #16 on: 05 June 2016, 11:56:12 am »
No problems with mixed tyres on both race track and road. Just make sure the rear is not more grippy (sporty) than the front and you're good to go. E.g. don't mix touring Z8 front with M5/M7 rear, but opposite combo is sweet - long lasting touring rear Z8 and grippy M5 up front. The rear will always start slipping earlier, but the front will stay planted so you're in control.

Mixing same type, like PR3, or 4, with M5 or M7 can be done any way you want, without problems.

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05 June 2016, 04:05:53 pm »
The M7 seems to be a more sporty tyre than a touring tyre with the extra cost of them I'm a bit concerned that they won't last as long as a touring tyre. Unfazed has got 3000 miles and no squaring off anyone gone further?
Favoring the PR3/PR4 combo for this reason.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #18 on: 05 June 2016, 04:22:37 pm »
The M7 seems to be a more sporty tyre than a touring tyre with the extra cost of them I'm a bit concerned that they won't last as long as a touring tyre. Unfazed has got 3000 miles and no squaring off anyone gone further?
Favoring the PR3/PR4 combo for this reason.

M7 also has dual compound rear for less squaring - like the PRs.

Like said, one could also go with a sportier front, and touring rear for more mileage.