Date: 20-04-24  Time: 01:59 am

Author Topic: Misty Pinlock Visor  (Read 4141 times)

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Misty Pinlock Visor
« on: 05 January 2016, 08:02:32 pm »
Ok any tips.
My new helmet Shoei Gt Air comes with a pin lock visor.
All fitted fine, made a couple of adjustments with visor seal etc. But i have a continuing problem with it misting up, thought it was on the inside of the pin lock i.e. the side that faces my face but it is actually in-between the pin lock and visor. I have resealed it as per instructions but to no avail.
Are there better after market pin locks or am i missing something (probably)

Cheers
Nick
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

Cellarman

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Misty Pinlock Visor
« Reply #1 on: 05 January 2016, 08:27:23 pm »
Are you sure the pinlock is sealed tight against the visor? if not it will mist. if you look closely to the pins they are adjustable cams you can use to get a perfect seal
I also have a GT Air and have no problems with misting

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 January 2016, 09:03:13 pm »
Another GT Air here. Does seem like the cams need to be adjusted as said above. Love the helmet but pinlocks (various helmets) don't like me so have to remove the chin curtain to stop the pinlock misting up. Also find that when raining and hitting over 60mph I need to shut the chin vent else the air blows water up the inside onto the pinlock - mate has same issue with same helmet. Apart from that, I love it  :D
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Rob R

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2009 FZ1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 January 2016, 10:36:24 pm »
 You should be able to see any gaps between the seal and the visor and make sure that the visor is fully closed before adjusting the cams.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 January 2016, 11:14:30 pm »
Ok any tips.
My new helmet Shoei Gt Air comes with a pin lock visor.
All fitted fine, made a couple of adjustments with visor seal etc. But i have a continuing problem with it misting up, thought it was on the inside of the pin lock i.e. the side that faces my face but it is actually in-between the pin lock and visor. I have resealed it as per instructions but to no avail.
Are there better after market pin locks or am i missing something (probably)

Cheers
Nick

Here's another option if you don't get it sorted.

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,18631.0.html
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 January 2016, 12:35:12 am »
Never had a pinlock visor and until I read this post I'd never heard of one. Good old fairy liquid is the best anti misting solution (excuse the pun)
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 January 2016, 05:42:11 am »
Never had a pinlock visor and until I read this post I'd never heard of one. Good old fairy liquid is the best anti misting solution (excuse the pun)

30 years ago it may have been, but not any more.
We've kind of moved on a bit since then.
« Last Edit: 06 January 2016, 05:43:55 am by darrsi »

Cellarman

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 January 2016, 07:42:40 am »

30 years ago it may have been, but not any more.
We've kind of moved on a bit since then.
Agreed a well fitted pinlock is the best thing you fit to a lid

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 January 2016, 08:31:42 am »
Totally agree, Pinlocks are superb.  I had one on my first ever helmet from day one (the shop recommended it). I commuted in all weathers and totally took for granted the fact I could ride with my visor down all the time if I desired.

3 years ago I got a Shoei Quest and put a pin lock in that, but it's always leaked at the very bottom, the seal has never been quite right.  The whole visor doesn't mist, just a small patch right at the bottom in the centre.  I pissed about with it so much (took it off, on etc) that I think I knackered the seal and ended up removing it which was fine because I'm now a fair weather softy.  BUT on the times when it has been a bit wet, or cold I really know what people mean about a visor misting up.  Bloody annoying, isn't it.

Which reminds me, I must go on line and purchase a new pinlock for my helmet  :)
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 January 2016, 08:44:16 am »
TBH when it comes to vision I don't like the idea of anything that could potentially obscure my view of the road, or distract me. If the visor mists up it's very easy to lift it a few mm to clear it, and a tube pulled up over my nose prevents misting 99% of the time.

Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 January 2016, 12:49:27 pm »
TBH when it comes to vision I don't like the idea of anything that could potentially obscure my view of the road, or distract me. If the visor mists up it's very easy to lift it a few mm to clear it, and a tube pulled up over my nose prevents misting 99% of the time.

99% ???
I think not! Been there done that, and there's no way I'd not have an insert of some kind in my lid now.

What about people who wear glasses as well? That can cause all sorts of problems.
I used to wear glasses on the bike, and the worst scenario for me was riding in foggy, heavy rain or misty weather. Lifting a visor up in fog just gives you foggy glasses then it's game over.
The insert I stick inside my visor improves night vision, reduces glare from headlights at night, has a slight reactolite tint to it in sunny weather, and is obviously anti fog. Plus it has UV protection in sunshine as well.
It's not distracting at all, just an enhancement to your vision.

Same as the Vee-Wipe for wiping rain away, I've always found Arai visors to be shite at repelling water, it just beads up and stays there, unlike previous lids where a turn of the head would expel water using the wind.
I couldn't be without that at all in the rain, it's like my very own windscreen wiper.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 January 2016, 02:47:39 pm »

99% ???
I think not! Been there done that, and there's no way I'd not have an insert of some kind in my lid now.

What about people who wear glasses as well? That can cause all sorts of problems.
I used to wear glasses on the bike, and the worst scenario for me was riding in foggy, heavy rain or misty weather. Lifting a visor up in fog just gives you foggy glasses then it's game over.
The insert I stick inside my visor improves night vision, reduces glare from headlights at night, has a slight reactolite tint to it in sunny weather, and is obviously anti fog. Plus it has UV protection in sunshine as well.

Same as the Vee-Wipe for wiping rain away, I've always found Arai visors to be shite at repelling water, it just beads up and stays there, unlike previous lids where a turn of the head would expel water using the wind.
I couldn't be without that at all in the rain, it's like my very own windscreen wiper.

Same here with the V Wipe - been on my gloves for what seems a lifetime and still works a treat (on forefinger with blade towards thumb). Also the same "beading and staying" of water issue with my Shoei. My old Cabergs, LS2's and Nolans etc the water used to just run off with some polish applied (tried everything going on the Shoei) so what is it with the new visors then eh ??

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 January 2016, 03:10:22 pm »

99% ???

Same here with the V Wipe - been on my gloves for what seems a lifetime and still works a treat (on forefinger with blade towards thumb). Also the same "beading and staying" of water issue with my Shoei. My old Cabergs, LS2's and Nolans etc the water used to just run off with some polish applied (tried everything going on the Shoei) so what is it with the new visors then eh ??

That's funny, 'cos the best visor I've had so far for water flying off was my last Shoei one, but maybe I'm just comparing it to the Arai ones which have all been rubbish so far, although I do like the fit of the crash helmet.
The Vee-Wipe's do actually get a bit tired after a year or so I've noticed, they'll be fine in a good downpour but if you have very light misty rain a worn one will just smear the water rather than wipe it cleanly like a ne one will do.
I have a new one in my top box, time to start using it I think.  :)

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 January 2016, 05:15:37 pm »
Sometimes they're just a pain to get right, in my experience if you want 100% no fogging up then fit a pinlock AND a respro foggy mask!
Some say...

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 January 2016, 10:14:52 pm »
Sometimes they're just a pain to get right, in my experience if you want 100% no fogging up then fit a pinlock AND a respro foggy mask!

And ration your breathing, or use a snorkel.  :lol

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #15 on: 06 January 2016, 11:36:03 pm »
Get a piece of paper and put it against the insde of the visor, then run it around the edge of the silicone bead.

If it slides under it at any point, you'll probably get misting, so, as mentioned above, turn the pins to get it sealed properly.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07 January 2016, 08:54:16 am »

Agreed, needed my respro this morning (meant to fit but forgot  :groan )- good pinlock fitting and chin deflector removed wasn't enough to stop me looking through a slowly decreasing letterbox.

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 07 January 2016, 08:04:06 pm »
Well thanks all.
i adjusted the cams last night and today was the first day of riding in 2 months with out a misty visor yeah.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!