Date: 23-04-24  Time: 17:46 pm

Author Topic: Leathers  (Read 4452 times)

Adrian6171

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZS600 2002
    • View Profile
Leathers
« on: 07 September 2013, 04:59:12 pm »
So went to Hein Gericke in Preston today to look at some leathers (boy was i in for a shock) not the price but the fitting sizes i normally wear a 36 inch waist clothing.Now i took a 36 and 38 inch set of RST pants to try on and to my amazement could,nt even fasten the zip up on the 38 never mind the 36 now would the HG ones be sized the same or is there a little difference.I have a chance of a 40 inch pair of HG trousers at a decent price which should fit if sizing is the same.Now the serious question have i turned into a real fat bastard :'(  or is leather clothing small sized.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
Re: Leathers
« Reply #1 on: 07 September 2013, 05:33:58 pm »
http://www.scottleathers.co.uk/default.asp

Off the shelf or made to measure.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 September 2013, 05:37:07 pm »
It seems to vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, as does the cut, hence always best to try things on. I had a similar thing with an Oxford textile jacket; I'd normally go for a large, some makes maybe an XL, but had to get a 2XL with this jacket before I got a comfortable fit. Strangely enough, with the liner removed, it's huge on me, but I don't get the same problem with my Ixon jacket, which seems to fit well with liner in or out, yet has a much warmer liner than the Oxford one. I would never order clothing on the net, can't be bothered with the hassle of sending things back when they don't fit. With leathers especially, you want to try them sat on a bike similar to your own if possible to make sure they're still comfortable especially with the articulation around the hips and knees. You can usually take them home to do this if you buy them at a clothing-only shop, just keep the labels on, and return if they don't fit. (Check with the shop first perhaps).
I won't comment on if you're getting "comfortable" around the waist!  :lol

Good one VNA, was trying to think of them, they've been going for years and get nothing but good reviews. You can send them back to Scott for alterations too, if for example you enjoy yourself at Xmas a little more than you intended!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 September 2013, 05:53:03 pm »
Yup - try em on. I had the same with glove sI just got with help from this forum I am a "M" in everything always have been, so I go for M gloves, yeh they are tight - a bit but they are sposed to be, yeh they will stretch a bit to be perfect---- nope I rode them home and my thumb was tingling my knuckles were hurting and the back of my hands were throbing. So I swaped for a large and they are perfect - yet I have never been a large in my life. People say that leather will stretch but I say it will only stretch if you buy it too small and make it stretch 
« Last Edit: 07 September 2013, 05:53:55 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Pat

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 September 2013, 06:23:00 pm »
It would seem HG & RST don't go in for it so much, but loads of clothing companies indulge in 'Vanity sizing'  whereby they increase clothing measurements but retain the same size marking on the label, so for example a pair of 32" waist trousers may now well measure  34" or even 36" in reality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanity_sizing

So the bottom line is that  leathers have stayed the same, the clothes shops have been flattering you to keep you happy & now your bubble has been burst you need to stop dodging the salads....  ;)

Adrian6171

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZS600 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 September 2013, 07:05:10 pm »
It would seem HG & RST don't go in for it so much, but loads of clothing companies indulge in 'Vanity sizing'  whereby they increase clothing measurements but retain the same size marking on the label, so for example a pair of 32" waist trousers may now well measure  34" or even 36" in reality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanity_sizing

So the bottom line is that  leathers have stayed the same, the clothes shops have been flattering you to keep you happy & now your bubble has been burst you need to stop dodging the salads....  ;)
[/quoteNever a truer word spoken Pat :lol :lol ]

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 September 2013, 07:07:13 pm »
Ignore the sizes and keep trying till one fits comfortably :)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 September 2013, 07:13:29 pm »
Don't people do that anyway? My Dainese leather gloves have stretched to be a nice fit, but I didn't go so tight when new that they restricted the blood flow! A little common sense to be applied!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 September 2013, 07:19:54 pm »
I have no common sense --- thats why I came here to get some, but couldnt find any

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 September 2013, 07:24:45 pm »
How will you know what it looks like when you do find it?

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 September 2013, 07:26:08 pm »
I bought some leathers last year, I am now xxxl? lol, 5,8 12,5 stone,  I have a big chest, so it just proves try it on before you buy.
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 September 2013, 07:29:37 pm »

I didnt personally fit into the RST leathers either.My Thighs are too chunky, im totally pissed off with all this skinny fit namby spider leg foccin fit for normal jeans too, can't they realise that we're all fat fucks & stop stocking that shit!,i went to the Animal shop to get some nice surfy type loose combats...nope..skinny foccin fit! :'( ..The Furygans were a much nicer fit but even still they sit a bit low on my hips.
So i've recently slimmed right down to a Fat Bastard for my upcoming wedding so im hoping they're much comfier now.
Best leathers ive got at the moment is an old one piece set of Belstaffs off my dads mate who got too big for them, they wont last much longer but foc they are comfy & fit superbly! :) , mind you they will last forever if i keep forgetting to wear them before i fall off! :rolleyes
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 September 2013, 07:33:31 pm »

, mind you they will last forever if i keep forgetting to wear them before i fall off! :rolleyes

:rollin :rollin

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 September 2013, 07:41:00 pm »

How will you know what it looks like when you do find it?
I'll use my common sense :rolleyes   " dear liza dear liza"
« Last Edit: 07 September 2013, 07:43:05 pm by fazersharp »

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 September 2013, 07:44:57 pm »
Er, perhaps not... :pokefun

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 07 September 2013, 07:46:02 pm »
Weird, my leathers size match my trousers size (Tesco's finest!). And as the LoFos can confirm, they fit well (and did their job last Sunday!  :eek )
The Deef's apprentice

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07 September 2013, 07:46:30 pm »
So went to Hein Gericke in Preston today to look at some leathers (boy was i in for a shock) not the price but the fitting sizes i normally wear a 36 inch waist clothing.Now i took a 36 and 38 inch set of RST pants to try on and to my amazement could,nt even fasten the zip up on the 38 never mind the 36 now would the HG ones be sized the same or is there a little difference.I have a chance of a 40 inch pair of HG trousers at a decent price which should fit if sizing is the same.Now the serious question have i turned into a real fat bastard :'(  or is leather clothing small sized.

I had the same thing but I think they are sized the European way, size 40'' silly fucker!! wish I was as fat as you. For me leathers is basically catch the cow, gut the fecker, remove the carcass stick zip on skin and that's it. So if you see a fat twat on a yellow FZ6 that looks like a Fresian cow give me a wave :rollin :rollin
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 07 September 2013, 11:11:47 pm »
what is stranger still is that over the last few years ALL my clothes srunk till I couldn't get in them, but just be eating a lot less food they have started to un-shrink so they fit me again?

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08 September 2013, 12:37:55 pm »
I didnt personally fit into the RST leathers either.My Thighs are too chunky, im totally pissed off with all this skinny fit namby spider leg foccin fit for normal jeans too, can't they realise that we're all fat fucks & stop stocking that shit!,i went to the Animal shop to get some nice surfy type loose combats...nope..skinny foccin fit! :'( ..The Furygans were a much nicer fit but even still they sit a bit low on my hips.

Exactly.  I'm the opposite.  My biggest problem is my skinny little arms, nae point buying leathers and then (hopefully never!) coming off and the leather riding right up my arms.

Also even if you do find something in the shop that does fit not bad, the spec will be wrong.  Stretch panels and perforated bits are fine for Summer Sunny Sunday only riders, but I like to ride on a daily basis from Spring to Autumn and don't wanna get soaked to the skin from one wee silly shower.

Also cut, the cheap or reasonably priced stuff is rarely a tailors cut.  The Italian stuff usually is but the bleedin prices!

Then there is branding, I mean manufacturers are competing the see who can come up with the biggest loudest branding.  I don't wanna go out looking like an advertising hoarding when I go for a ride on my bike. 

So I went made to measure.  Got measured up for my Scott leathers at the Scottish Bike show in march 2009.   Got the spec I wanted, minimal stretch panels, no perforated bits, picked my lining etc etc.  I paid 550 quid for made to measure jacket and trousers.  The downside was waiting for 3 mnths for them to arrive and then breaking em in.  The leather is heavy duty to say the least. 
Oh Scott are one the most popular brands of leathers with road racers.

Good one VNA, was trying to think of them, they've been going for years and get nothing but good reviews.

There were one or two folks complaining about customer service here a few years back.  But I had no probs - they did tell that I'd have to wait.  They do everything in batches.  So if you want a made to measure Venom (why does everything in motorcycling have to have silly macho names?) Jacket you have to wait for em to tool up to do a run of Venom jackets. 
« Last Edit: 08 September 2013, 12:39:31 pm by VNA »