Date: 23-06-24  Time: 04:30 am

Author Topic: New chain  (Read 1660 times)

elbrownos

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
New chain
« on: 30 August 2013, 10:45:19 pm »
I've been a muppet and knackered my chain. Went to Holland last Thursday and forgot to take chain lube. Thought it would be ok anyway (usually I lube every 200-250 miles) but getting towards 1000 miles it started making some pretty horrendous noises. Not just clunking but intermittently screeching like there's a stone jammed in there or something.
So I've lubed it heaps since I got back and it has improved a lot but still sounds crap at low speed, clunking and occasionally squealing.
I can't see any tight links and the links don't seem too stiff but the rear wheel doesn't spin as freely as it did.
So I've ordered a Loobman manual luber. Probably should have done it a while ago, since I ride through winter.
Regarding a new chain - M&P on Ebay have standard DID + sprockets for £80 or gold for £87.
Does that sound reasonable? Is the gold chain actually any better or does it just look prettier at first?

keirravn

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
Re: New chain
« Reply #1 on: 30 August 2013, 11:28:23 pm »
Doesnt directly answer your question, but is definitely the chain? Not bearing or brakes?

My understanding is that gold just looks better.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 August 2013, 11:39:22 pm »
Chain takes a lot to squeal, check pistons.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 August 2013, 11:40:35 pm »
It used to be that the gold chain from D.I.D. was the X-Ring chain, referring to the particular type of o-ring it uses which is supposed to trap the lube in better or some such. I think the X-Ring gold was also a heavier duty chain, and so should last longer. But you pay for what you get, to turn round a well used phrase.
Have to say, I'm a bit out of touch with the latest developments tho'.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 August 2013, 11:59:02 pm »
Nothing to do with the front sprocket nut issues?
Some say...

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 August 2013, 12:06:53 am »
Would perhaps be worth unhooking the chain and seeing if the rear wheel still doesn't spin freely. If not, then likely rear wheel bearing on it's way out, but "clunking" would then suggest it's already collapsed. Did the squealing vary with use of brakes? Was the braking performance/feel different to usual? And the usual, is the chain tension correct/not over-tight?

elbrownos

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 August 2013, 12:10:27 am »
Not the front sprocket nut, I've checked.
Darrsi what pistons, rear brake? Not those either.
Pretty sure it's the chain. The noises correlate perfectly with my neglect of it.
It's the original chain & sprockets and they've done 19k miles.
What's the verdict on joining the new chain. Do I need a riveter or can I do it with a hammer?

elbrownos

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 August 2013, 12:17:30 am »
The chain hasn't needed tensioning in the 10k miles I've had it but it got noticeably looser after this fiasco so I tensioned it on Wednesday.
What's the easiest way to unhook the chain? When I was tensioning the chain I got the impression I couldn't just push the wheel forward in the swingarm to loosen the chain.
Since tensioning, I've noticed a quiet constant squeal from the rear wheel bearings when I rotate the wheel by hand. But only when it's warm. So you might be right. Is that a bad sign? What would be the indication of an over-tightened chain?
Pretty sure it's not brake related.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 August 2013, 07:33:28 am »
this is heading towards  wheel bearings....take the chain off and see if the wheels rotates freely.....19.000 miles on the origanal chain is good  ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 August 2013, 08:36:07 am »
"....I got the impression I couldn't just push the wheel forward in the swingarm to loosen the chain...."

Loosen the swingarm bolts and the spindle, then give the wheel a shove forwards..............it helps if you have six topless women firmly grasping the bike to stop it from jumping off the centre stand. ;)

Coming from Amsterdam, there is always the chance your chain got stoned!  :crazy
« Last Edit: 31 August 2013, 09:04:04 am by darrsi »

keirravn

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 August 2013, 09:24:37 am »
You will have to loosen/turn back the adjuster nuts too mind

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 August 2013, 11:51:02 am »
You will have to loosen/turn back the adjuster nuts too mind

Yes, adjust your nuts first........

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 September 2013, 01:41:44 pm »
Check that the chain hasn't stretched too much.  I was regularly oiling and adjusting mine, but still ended up with the same symptoms as you have described.  Check the Haynes manual for the specs, but you need to measure the length of 10 links.  Mine was about 5mm over spec.