Date: 24-04-24  Time: 07:01 am

Author Topic: How do you cope with glasses?  (Read 9826 times)

reillypadraig

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
How do you cope with glasses?
« on: 13 August 2013, 09:06:57 am »
Just as an off topic, I just wanted to get a broad opinion on how all of you cope with wearing glasses in your helmet, just on if they bug ya just abit of if ya put the helmet on a little awkward and Ur ear hurts the whole trim, or do you wear contacts especially for this purpose???

I'm asking this because I don't wear contacts and its coming back into the glasses fogging up season again soon :rolleyes

Robbus

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: How do you cope with glasses?
« Reply #1 on: 13 August 2013, 09:16:07 am »
Contacts for me, obviously no fogging but more importantly a much bigger peripheral field of view. For fogging try FogTech - http://www.visorvision.co.uk/shop/index.php?cPath=25 - I use it on my visor after my pinlock committed suicide and it does the job. Need a new helmet though with a pinlock as that's just fit and forget, until it falls off of course ;)

Cheers,
Rob

reillypadraig

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 August 2013, 09:49:35 am »
Lol, I was planning on getting contacts to try them out, brother has them but he says they are a pain, can fall out by times and you might forget yourself if looking at someone welding, then your fuked, lol.

It's not so much the vision but my glasses themselves that fog, last winter I had to leave the visor up.....all the time. Everytime I put it down it fogged up, also, I seem some shark helmets with a sticker on the padding just behind the visor with( easy on glasses) or some sorta crap written on it? Anyone purchase a helmet like this?

The glasses do create a small reflective glare by times, not sure if many experience this or does everyone have tinted visors?

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 August 2013, 10:26:14 am »
Get a pinlock anti fog insert. Cut out some pieces to fit ur specs. Stick em on. Job done. Hehe

Jokin aside...have u heard of OPTIFOG ?

Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

BluprintZ

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
    • Stiwdio Eglwys
« Reply #4 on: 13 August 2013, 10:28:39 am »
I've had a Nitro N500 helmet for a few years and i don't have any probs with the glasses, other than if they do happen to get a bit of rain on them, if for some reason i have to lift the visor (which is tinted).
My glasses are varifocal with reactolite lenses and i don't really have much of a problem with them misting up, although in really crappy weather, i use the car.

G ; )
Life's a long song....

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 August 2013, 10:59:20 am »
Had my eyes lasered......sorted  :)
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 August 2013, 12:07:05 pm »
iam on a free contact lens trail at the moment,had to improvise on my perscription as i have a lazy eye......i know,i know goes with the rest of my body  :rolleyes ......great on the bike ,just a pain putting in and taking out  ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

reillypadraig

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 August 2013, 12:57:29 pm »
Never heard of the optifog? Don't think ill get laser treatment either( darrsi show off lol). I'd say ill try the contacts out,

Just the duchinni helmet I have is the right fit for me and everything, just the padding squashes the crap outa my ear and I don't have a thin "leg" on my glasses.

a thin "leg " with the fancy crap they can put in lenses might work but ill get a supply of contacts to try out.

No-one has the squashed ear problem?

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 August 2013, 01:09:05 pm »
I wear contacts virtually all the time.  Dislike glasses at the best of times but they're horrible under a helmet, not for the comfort so much but because they reduce your field of view.  I do however keep a pair under the seat in case I end up needing them.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 August 2013, 01:14:51 pm »
I use these, got a clear one and a slightly tinted one on two visors for summer/winter.
Only thing i will say is that you need a clean and dust free enviroment when putting it on, 'cos the double sided tape will not come off in any decent condition if you foc it up.
You work out exactly where you want it first (tape helps) then bend it from the middle, stick it down and work your way outwards.

They're very good for anti fogging, and even after a few years of wear and tear when the rain gets the better of the tape, all i did was buy some 1mm thick double sided and cut a strip 4mm wide that was long enough to shape around the whole visor in one go, then i put a small blob of clear rubber glue at the join to make it airtight and it was like new again.  :D

**** They have a very slight reactolite lens in sunshine, and also filters (polarizes) headlight glare at night time, which is especially helpful if you already wear glasses too, so it will turn a star shaped glare into just a single beam.  :smokin  ****

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=Progrip+3000+Visor+Insert&_sacat=0&_from=R40

As for the squashed ear problem, i think that's literally a different make/model of crash helmet issue.
My old Shoei crash helmet had no issues at all with my glasses, but when i bought my Arai it was so fitted around the sides of my eyes i used to have to physically force my glasses on, although that could have also been the fact that it was a new lid.
« Last Edit: 13 August 2013, 01:31:40 pm by darrsi »

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 August 2013, 02:32:11 pm »
I wear contacts all the time now which is so much easier (want to get lasered one day) but when I wore glasses I used a foggy mask in my Shoei and removed the pinlock as there was no more need for it. That set-up worked really well.

Whether you wear specs or not a foggy mask can be really good on cold dark winter days, keeps your snout warm and you can see better at night without a pinlock insert and it's starring of headlights etc.

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 August 2013, 02:39:24 pm »
What most folk that don't wear glasses misunderstand, is that its the glasses lenses that fog up, not the visor!

I haven't got the option of contacts as I only need glasses for driving, and work at a p.c. so can't wear them all the time. This means I have to choose my glasses wisely, i.e. large lenses for a good field of view and straight arms so I can put them on easier.

Regarding fogging up, I always have my visor open a crack, which minimises it but doesn't get rid completely.
However, I find that the misting comes from my breath, and when I tried a Shark Raw helmet on last week, the goggles completely isolated my eyes which I thought would really sort it.
Problem is I didn't like the lack of peripheral vision with them and the sales guy said they're a bit shit in the wet, which kind of defeats the object as I don't fog up in the dry.  :\

Oh, and since posting I've just googled Foggy Mask. That looks like it'd be the best thing rather than a new helmet!  :D
« Last Edit: 13 August 2013, 02:42:11 pm by mr self destruct »
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 August 2013, 02:54:55 pm »
Oh, and since posting I've just googled Foggy Mask. That looks like it'd be the best thing rather than a new helmet!  :D

Got to say they worked really well for me, only stopped using them because my current Arai lid has a coolmax lining which the velcro on the foggy doesn't stick to! If you have a normal fabric lining it should work a treat.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 August 2013, 04:15:50 pm »
Had my eyes lasered......sorted  :)
Me too.
Personally I started to find it dangerous riding around with glasses-
Couldn't take a quick glance at clocks or mirrors, and offset junctions were a nightmare as you're looking out the side of the glasses, so blurry traffic everywhere, got them lasered and was back on the bike a week later.
Some say...

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 August 2013, 04:17:32 pm »
I haven't looked into lasering properly but I reckon it'd be majorly expensive for me as I have a -6 or -7 prescription

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 13 August 2013, 04:20:16 pm »
Mine was about £2500 and worth every penny!
Some say...

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 August 2013, 04:36:56 pm »
Mine was about £2500 and worth every penny!

£555 all in, beat that  :D

andy352299

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 August 2013, 05:41:49 pm »
unfortunately my eyes cannot be lasered as wrong prescription, I have being wearing glasses since I was 3 and now I am 46, i still wear glasses the majority of the time, i have now been using contacts when on my bikes, i would recommend them i wish i had tried them years ago

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 August 2013, 07:12:23 pm »
The fella who lasered my eyes was virtually fighting me to get near my eyes, and eventually said if i wouldn't relax then he couldn't do the surgery.

The thought of contacts makes me cringe, i simply don't like my eyes being touched, even by me, so when i saw his sausage fingers aiming for my mince pies then i couldn't help but react.  :lol

That was 9 years ago, after wearing glasses for 25 years, so it was well worth the grief.  :thumbup

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 August 2013, 07:44:24 pm »
wore glasses most odf my life (what a relief when they started making the lenses from lighter plastic)

dont have a problem riding with them apart from once (in ireland - visor misted up. Opened it up and my glasses steamed up too - foggy/cool morning. was fooked)

tried contacts - couldnt get them in. after 45 minutes trying, I had one lens in and the other eye practically bleeding.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 August 2013, 07:56:52 pm »
Contacts take practice. I spent ages in the store trying to get the buggers out when they were making sure I could do it. After a few weeks it became second nature and was easy enough to do - now and again one of them is a pain (my left eye) as I have a slightly mis-shapen eyeball apparently :|

Definitely will look in to laser surgery but uncertain as to how well I'll cope during as I have no idea what's involved. I'm fairly relaxed with poking my eyes and although I don't mind others trying my eyes seem to have another idea and just begin to water uncontrollably :|

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 August 2013, 09:14:48 pm »
Contacts take practice. I spent ages in the store trying to get the buggers out when they were making sure I could do it. After a few weeks it became second nature and was easy enough to do - now and again one of them is a pain (my left eye) as I have a slightly mis-shapen eyeball apparently :|

Definitely will look in to laser surgery but uncertain as to how well I'll cope during as I have no idea what's involved. I'm fairly relaxed with poking my eyes and although I don't mind others trying my eyes seem to have another idea and just begin to water uncontrollably :|

Surgery itself is a piece of piss, it's very quick and 100% painless process during actual surgery.
Before i had mine done they offered me a deal of two people for the price of one and my brother wasn't interested so i let that one go.
Then about a month later they offered me a cancellation for half price to be done within 2 weeks so i jumped at it.
£60 consultation fee (examination) then £495 for both eyes.
I honestly thought the price would drop as it became more popular but they've really taken advantage of it and the prices have rocketed.
I know the procedure is more advanced now but it's still a lot of money, but once it's done and paid for you won't regret it.
My brother ended up having his eyes done about 3 years later and paid around £2300 i think.  :lol

Doddsie

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 August 2013, 10:33:27 pm »
I quite often have a problem with things looking blurred through my glasses but I just take them back to the bar and get them re-filled regardless!!!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 13 August 2013, 10:43:27 pm »
I quite often have a problem with things looking blurred through my glasses but I just take them back to the bar and get them re-filled regardless!!!

I'll drink to that  :b

reillypadraig

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 14 August 2013, 10:16:19 am »
Lol, good replies, glad I'm not the only one that gets pissed of with glasses