Date: 02-05-24  Time: 18:20 pm

Author Topic: Installation thread for Debrix fork cartridge emulators - Group buyers  (Read 36410 times)

69oldskool

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Installation thread for Debrix fork cartridge emulators - Group buyers
« Reply #100 on: 26 October 2013, 06:29:46 pm »
@ Robbus, Glad it's coming together mate,& you found your missing inch ;)

Update on my installation:
                                   Been away a couple of days, 100mile trip,with a slightly more scientific approach.(zip ties)
I'm using 80mm fork travel up incl my sag (yet to measure properly) & without trying emergency stops.

I upped the preload 2 marks halfway into trip but it was a backward step so back to adjusters fully wound out now.
With this setup it 'feels' about right TBH, a little harsh on big bumps,but nothing i can't live with.
So my advice to anyone yet to install would be to go with the larger holes than the 8mm ones i went with.

Biggest improvement was the cornering~ really inspires a lot more confidence now, i reckon i might even lose those chicken strips come Spring!  :rollin

Don't want to keep going on about it~ but still not convinced my bike has more than 100mm travel potential~ i'd be interested to here what length the topout springs are on the next foxeye to have forks dismantled is~maybe mine have been changed?
As long as i'm not bottoming out i'm not unduly concerned.
Won't be making any further adjustments just yet, as i am a fairly happy bunny :)  though i suspect there's room for a further improvement at a later date.

Robbus

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 26 October 2013, 06:43:16 pm »
So my advice to anyone yet to install would be to go with the larger holes than the 8mm ones i went with.

I forgot to say, I took my emus out and had a good look at them, all that blah I did about matching the size of the holes in the damper rod to the are of the 3 oval holes is a bit moot as it's actually the hole up the middle, under the plate the little spring holds down that really matters. Course I didn't measure it but it was probably around 12mm diameter minus the bolt so much smaller. Then again I dropped out of uni way before getting stuck in to fluid dynamics so I may just shut up on the subject now. I'm definitely not taking those damper rods out again anyway  :rollin

Cheers,
Rob

69oldskool

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 26 October 2013, 06:48:57 pm »
Should have kept quiet, you were very convincing. :lol

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 03 November 2013, 02:56:16 pm »
Happy to report that my bike too is now benefiting from this awesome mod. Kebab kindly fitted my emus so I can't comment on the installation but I can say that after a few short rides that it has made a big difference, definitely worth the cost, it is great value. To begin with I felt the improvements were quite subtle but after some adjustments, the front end definitely feels more planted and the harshness that plagued the front end previously has practically disappeared, brake dive is also less pronounced than before.

Perfect match for the R6 shock mod, another big thanks to Kebab for his help  :thumbup

69oldskool

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 09 November 2013, 08:20:09 am »
Fuzzy~
           which mod  ya reckon makes the biggest improvement, R6 shock or the emulators ?

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: 09 November 2013, 08:58:46 am »
The R6 shock is massively better than the standard one and has lots of adjustment so I'd say that's made the biggest improvement.

Having said that, the emulators are great - for such a small & cheap part, it makes a heck of a difference.

If you're going to do the shock, only makes sense to spend a little more sorting out the front end too

69oldskool

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 11 November 2013, 03:04:25 pm »
Thanks Fuzzy,
                   impressed with the emulators myself.
Maybe i'll look at doing something with the rear shock come Spring  then.Best start saving a few pennies...

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 21 November 2013, 06:32:31 pm »
For anyone who hasn't fitted their emulators yet... and there are a few of you  :lol

If you have early 1998/99 forks, I have a spare pair damper rods already drilled out. If you send me your originals I will forward these drilled items to save you some grief. In 2000 onwards forks the damper rods are shorter, so wouldn't be a straight swap.

Regarding spring upgrades, I have a pair of 1994-97 VFR750 springs that I originally used to good effect with my emus. I reduced their length making them a good bit firmer; they're probably suitable for anyone over 13 stone now & whoever wants them can have them for postage costs.
You'd also need longer spacers as they are now 298mm long, but just PM Robbus as I suspect he might have some metal tubing to spare  ;)

If anyone wants other suitable fork springs that would go very well with their emulator setup there are a couple currently on ebay:
1) Hyperpro CBR600f 1993-98 springs  - ebay item # 151170777743
2) K-Tech Honda Hornet 600 springs - 0.85kg/mm - ebay item 190974968483

Both bikes are within about 12 kilos of the FZS600 so their springs should be ideal. Obviously (again) you may well need different length metal spacers to compensate for shorter springs. 

savvy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 04 December 2013, 05:38:13 pm »
Hi. If anybody hears about any more bulk purchase buys of the emulators would they please post up as I am very interested but one pair plus post is too much.
 Many thanks. :)

savvy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 03 March 2014, 04:43:03 pm »
Well folks, I took the plunge and got some Debrix emulators from Kebab and would like to thank him again here. 
I have a 1998 FZS600 and wasn't happy with the front end. Won a set of CBR600 springs from 96/98 bike along with a pair of Thundercat adjustable preload caps (same thread on fork leg) again a win on ebay.
  Std spring lgh in Fazer is 335mm and CBR are 375 lg. Both are 35mm dia. The Fazer weighs 189Kg and CBR is 182Kg so not a long way off.
 I got 4 36mm x 3mm thk s/s washers and some stainless exhaust pipe 35mm dia x 117 lg as spacers which give me the approx same leangh total to re-assemble with. The adjustable caps give me some adjustment both ways now.
 On stripping the forks I could not believe what came out as in oil type, I don't know what it was but it was a horrible grey colour not at all red in colour so maybe ordinary oil? No real probs with the damper rods, a quick crack and off the bolts came (great)
 Ready now for the next stage, 4 3/8" holes to be drilled in the damper rods (9.5mm for you young un's) tomorrow when all the oil is drained and everything cleaned up. 10wt oil ready to go in.Not sure yet on levels.
 Pics to follow regarding springs and caps etc when I get everything cleaned up.
Barrie :)

savvy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 04 March 2014, 04:52:29 pm »
Again.
 Well measured damper rods and mine are 185mm long? don't know why as it is a 98 bike but there we go!!
 Anyway I have drilled 4 3/8" holes and cleaned everything up including the fork bottoms,not very good I might add but that's for another time.
 Just a couple of pics of how they look so far.
 Top pic is the different spring set ups. top set up is CBR springs with adjustable caps and Debrix emu's and short spacers + 3mm washers.
 Bottom set is as they came out.
 Bottom pic shows the different fork caps and it is obvious which are adjustable Thundercat ones.
« Last Edit: 04 March 2014, 04:58:01 pm by savvy »

savvy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 19 March 2014, 06:05:59 pm »
A final summing up of this mod.
 I cannot think that such a simple and cheap mod could make such a difference. The ride now is so much more pliant.
 Ordinary road imperfections are now ridden over with minimal disturbance. Larger holes are still felt through the bars but without the jarring that  accompanied them previously.

The bike now feels more planted and goes where intended without fuss. Considering I still have the o/e rear shock I am well pleased, in fact I would  say it feels better than the VFR800 Fi1 2002 that I had and that was good.
 The settings I have ended up with are as follows:

Front preload is about 22mm with oil level at 135mm below the top using Silkolene 10 wt fork oil. static sag is 22mm and rider sag is 32mm.
 Rear preload is set 6 notches from full hard giving me static sag of 10mm and 40mm rider sag.

Considering I have used CBR 600 standard springs with Thundercat fork caps, which gives me adjustable preload and fit straight in, all in all a really cheap mod. i reckon £80.00 all in sorted it.

I must once again thank Kebab for all his help and for getting this job going.

Hope this helps others and can highly recommend this mod.
 Just to add, I am 70kg weight without riding gear.

Barrie ;)

« Last Edit: 19 March 2014, 06:21:17 pm by savvy »