Date: 18-04-24  Time: 10:45 am

Author Topic: Should I have known better ......  (Read 2188 times)

Ash69

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Should I have known better ......
« on: 06 August 2013, 12:59:22 pm »
Righty ho chaps ....

Following my indecision a couple of months ago re flogging my Harley and FZ6 S2 for a newer, shinier model with a bit of oomph, I took out a Fazer 8 quickly followed by an FZ1S. Despite the Fazer 8 being perfectly adequate and actually far more comfortable at Motorway ++ speeds, I was suckered into the FZ1s shiny blackness, downright muscle and the noise from the Akroprovic carbon can.

So I bought it ........ :)

HOWEVER,   the bikes a 2012 and cosmetically perfect but it's been on Yamahas books for the past year as their 'demonstrator', only done just shy of 900 miles but the rear tyre is down to its last mm of useable tread with obvious signs of abuse, backed up by the chamfered hero blobs. They've given it a service (Wigan Yamaha), but it's not happy with hot restarts, I'm having to roll on the throttle whilst pressing the starter although once running it holds idle.

Now realising that abuse during the running in period ain't exactly the best idea, is this a consequence of the Akpvc can, a symptom of future trouble (balance of Yam warranty with the bike), or is there a simple fix the dealer should be addressing.

Oh and it looks like someones had it away with the toolkit .........  :\

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Should I have known better ......
« Reply #1 on: 06 August 2013, 07:11:15 pm »
Umm, i think i would stick with it..

Running in, nowadays with the perfect tolerances in modern machining,, not like the old days where perhaps metal had to worn to the right tolerance..

Should be fine,,i doubt there will be much wrong with it.

Go back to the dealers,, there may be a faulty coil or such like,,harass them to find the problem,

Stick with it.

An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 August 2013, 07:42:56 pm »
Running in, nowadays with the perfect tolerances in modern machining,,

You would be surprised. I work for a "world class" manufacturing company, and although drawing tolerances are much tighter than they used to be...you still get Friday afternoon tolerances at times :(

I agree that it's still worth sticking with it though, and also agree you should harass the dealer to get things thoroughly checked. If after you check things over and it's still not working the way it should, then consider chopping it in.

If all that's wrong is it needs a bit of throttle to fire up when it's hot, it's not the end of the world either...I suppose it depends how bad the problem is though and much throttle you need to give it.

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 August 2013, 07:53:00 pm »
HOWEVER,   the bikes a 2012 and cosmetically perfect but it's been on Yamahas books for the past year as their 'demonstrator', only done just shy of 900 miles but the rear tyre is down to its last mm of useable tread with obvious signs of abuse, backed up by the chamfered hero blobs. They've given it a service (Wigan Yamaha), but it's not happy with hot restarts, I'm having to roll on the throttle whilst pressing the starter although once running it holds idle.
Have you got an appropriate map for the can? Worth asking the question.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Ash69

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 August 2013, 09:42:57 pm »
Cheers for your input chaps,

Got a mate with an R1 who recons he has to do the twist n prod all the time, but I'll pull the dealer on it in the morning. I would have thought the fueling and exhaust compatibility would have been sorted by Yamaha if they were using it as a demonstrator, but then again anything's possible

Picked the bike up on Saturday and obviously only noticed the hot start issue after sticking some fuel in, which might be a regular occurrence .......

Ash69

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 August 2013, 10:14:49 pm »
Still looks and sounds crackin', goes a bit quicker than the FZ6 too .............

Stuck a pic on members bikes rather than trying to figure out how to embed it here, dealer will be getting a call in the morning.

taksi

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 August 2013, 10:24:34 pm »
I have an '08 faired FZ1 with K&N and full Akro and don't have any hot start probs at all. You should not have to touch the throttle on start up. I would ask the garage to check all the error codes. Shouldn't be a coil as they usually give probs with misfires at 2-3000 rpm and don't usually  fail until 15-20k or so. Defo back to the dealers if it was me. Good luck.

Taksi
Taksi

Strifae

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 August 2013, 08:17:24 am »
Yeah I have a low mileage 08 ABS with Scorpion End can and K&N as well, I have never needed to touch the throttle cold, hot or anything in between, the bike just sorts itself out (which is nice coming from a FZS600 Carb'ed bike)

I think there is something amiss, I don't have a power commander either with the above 2 mods (still have Cat in situ and no other airflow mods, I am hoping to get a PC3 soon and do some more modding  :D )

DekF

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Fast as fck s1r
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 August 2013, 01:22:21 pm »
The first thing to check is the warm idle. It needs to be set between 1200 - 1300. I suspect it's set at about 1100.
Also, run some injector cleaner through it, chances are it's been sat for long periods.
As for the tyre, it should never have been sold to you in that condition.
Good choice btw.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 August 2013, 06:49:53 pm »
The first thing to check is the warm idle. It needs to be set between 1200 - 1300. I suspect it's set at about 1100.
Also, run some injector cleaner through it, chances are it's been sat for long periods.
As for the tyre, it should never have been sold to you in that condition.
Good choice btw.

Good choice,,lol,,,agree !!!! :lol

oops, he's having problems,,,nice bike mate, how fast does it go?
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

Ash69

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 August 2013, 10:58:56 pm »
Coooo it's a bit quick  :lol  ...............

Tre 'kin' mendous , hangin on and grinning like a loon, then realised there was another cog , off we go again ........................ May have figured out where all the rubber off my back tyre went :rolleyes , I'm guessing that the FZ6's 7000 mile tyre-life is a thing of the past....

Nipping back to the dealer Satd'y for them to have a look at the hot start issue etc

Cheers all