Date: 29-03-24  Time: 05:29 am

Author Topic: Maybe its time for a change - but to what??  (Read 11699 times)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe its time for a change - but to what??
« Reply #25 on: 06 August 2013, 11:35:02 pm »
For you sir, £9995. Cheap as chips.

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 06 August 2013, 11:42:18 pm »

"Sorry, Sir, but Glass's guide to Souls lists yours as only being worth £5. I'm afraid we can't consider a part exchange in those circumstances"
The Deef's apprentice

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 06 August 2013, 11:45:16 pm »
You know, that's a perfectly reasonable price. How many did Suzuki make.? It wasn't many, and how many are left.  It's cheaper than all the current litre sports bikes and will only go up in value. Unless you ride it. Is that the zero miles job?

Oh, and a CBX1000 and an NR750.... if only Honda sold RC211Vs, I'd have one of those too.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 06 August 2013, 11:52:32 pm »

"Sorry, Sir, but Glass's guide to Souls lists yours as only being worth £5. I'm afraid we can't consider a part exchange in those circumstances"

That's ok, I've had an idea. I've got the fiver - can you raise the rest? Go on, you won't regret it, honest!

You know, that's a perfectly reasonable price. How many did Suzuki make.? It wasn't many, and how many are left.  It's cheaper than all the current litre sports bikes and will only go up in value. Unless you ride it. Is that the zero miles job?

Oh, and a CBX1000 and an NR750.... if only Honda sold RC211Vs, I'd have one of those too.

No, that's the stinger AyJay. 34k miles on the clock! They do have full rebuild listing to go with it though. Didn't have the heart to ask to see it!

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 06 August 2013, 11:54:08 pm »
Looks brand new, Nick. Still worth every penny!

Hogi

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 08 August 2013, 10:22:06 am »
 Thanks for the considered responses guys - and the not so  :b

I'm beginning to think I shouldn't go down the FZ1 route - its not gonna fit the bill, too sport focused and with different characteristics to what I'm looking for. However the prices being asked for low mileage examples are tempting when compared to same year Speed Triples - Ebay dealers have them with 5-6k miles for up to £1500 less  :eek   and that's hard to resist, the savings could be channeled into add ons like gel seat etc

Just want to avoid moving on only to return to Fazer ownership - but with a bike that needs all the things I've had done to mine that gets me back to where I am now. That's a long way round simply to stand still - but the grass is always greener.

I'm liking the thought of 2 bikes (I did have an old Sprint as well for a while) and invest in upgrades for the old girl. But I'm already running two cars and am sure the DVLA would be more than happy to increase its tax rake. The nephew may be coming back to biking so maybe we could invest in something other than the R6 he was after (over 6 feet & looking at a pocket rocket ffs  :thumbdown ) maybe a Street triple. If I can make him see sense that might be the way forward.   

Its later than you think

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 08 August 2013, 01:00:44 pm »

I'm beginning to think I shouldn't go down the FZ1 route - its not gonna fit the bill, too sport focused and with different characteristics to what I'm looking for. However the prices being asked for low mileage examples are tempting when compared to same year Speed Triples - Ebay dealers have them with 5-6k miles for up to £1500 less  :eek   and that's hard to resist, the savings could be channeled into add ons like gel seat etc

Just want to avoid moving on only to return to Fazer ownership - but with a bike that needs all the things I've had done to mine that gets me back to where I am now. That's a long way round simply to stand still - but the grass is always greener.

I'm liking the thought of 2 bikes (I did have an old Sprint as well for a while) and invest in upgrades for the old girl. But I'm already running two cars and am sure the DVLA would be more than happy to increase its tax rake. The nephew may be coming back to biking so maybe we could invest in something other than the R6 he was after (over 6 feet & looking at a pocket rocket ffs  :thumbdown ) maybe a Street triple. If I can make him see sense that might be the way forward.

Long as he's young it'll be fine! I'm only 5 10, but I genuinely crotch rockets more comfy than sit up bikes as they make my back ache!

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 08 August 2013, 08:35:52 pm »

Tuono V4R :lol
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 08 August 2013, 08:58:55 pm »
The grass is always greener, true. But you now have a reason to get down to every dealer and test ride everything until you find what you want. I always jump at the chance to ride something different, gives me a good perspective on what I actually want from a bike. Which massive speed, touring comfort and low running costs. Oh bollocks, there's only one bike that fits the bill, isn't there?

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 08 August 2013, 09:23:53 pm »
The grass is always greener ...

... but it's just as hard to mow. ;)

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 08 August 2013, 09:59:53 pm »
Have u tried an fzi? Or just listened to sheep?
i have a pc3 so any style or hp map can be programmed.as you say the seat can be made more comfy,mine is great as standard...do try one out for starters.mine is a great bike.i am well pleased.
Billy
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 08 August 2013, 10:26:22 pm »
Arfa had dropped his bike
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 08 August 2013, 10:38:38 pm »
Arfa had dropped his bike

Wrong thread, Exup!!
The Deef's apprentice

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 08 August 2013, 10:39:29 pm »
Thats it Cristo, stop him!!!
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 08 August 2013, 10:46:47 pm »
Have u tried an fzi? Or just listened to sheep?
i have a pc3 so any style or hp map can be programmed.as you say the seat can be made more comfy,mine is great as standard...do try one out for starters.mine is a great bike.i am well pleased.
Billy

Sorry Slim. You must get really pissed off with people wittering on about the Gen 1. I have ridden the FZ1 Fazer and it is a brilliant bike. It oozes class and is very desirable in it's own right. No sniping, non ifs and buts - I love FZ1s too! And that FIAT rep that Performance Bikes built was so perfect....

End of....

black8

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 09 August 2013, 07:45:26 pm »
Have done with it and get 1 of these.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 09 August 2013, 08:16:21 pm »
I did Black8! Rather good aren't they?

black8

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 09 August 2013, 08:20:17 pm »
Oh yes,what colour?????

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 09 August 2013, 08:40:53 pm »
It hasn't got a colour - It's the old 2006 grey one!

I really couldn't make my mind up about the next bike, so I thought I'd just get a second hand one to see if I could get on with it. I've kept the Fazer and 20k on the Kwak later, I honestly think it's the only thing that comes close for the performance/comfort equation you get with Gen 1. It is tremendous over distance. And then there's that engine!

Always fun to get back on the Fazer though. Makes me feel like a hooligan again. The ZZR's quite serious in comparison. And you'll cack yourself at the first valve check bill. 800 quid. Ouch.

Are you on the www.ZX14R.co.uk forum. It's as friendly and useful as this one.
« Last Edit: 09 August 2013, 08:45:52 pm by AyJay »

black8

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 09 August 2013, 10:39:29 pm »
yes i am mate

fazer69

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Tiger 800 xrx
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 10 August 2013, 04:38:56 pm »
New V Strom when it comes out??

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 10 August 2013, 05:39:47 pm »
  The nephew may be coming back to biking so maybe we could invest in something other than the R6 he was after (over 6 feet & looking at a pocket rocket ffs  :thumbdown ) maybe a Street triple. If I can make him see sense that might be the way forward.

Everything I've read about the Street Triple has been full of praise for it, major grin factor - I'd love to try one, but I'd be worried that at 6' 2'' I'd just be too cramped on one. But, see, that's where if you could have it as a 2nd bike it wouldn't matter so much if you didn't get on with it. Just trade it for something else.

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 11 August 2013, 03:30:30 pm »

Everything I've read about the Street Triple has been full of praise for it, major grin factor - I'd love to try one, but I'd be worried that at 6' 2'' I'd just be too cramped on one. But, see, that's where if you could have it as a 2nd bike it wouldn't matter so much if you didn't get on with it. Just trade it for something else.
I'm 6'4". Test rode one recently and tried really hard to convince myself it was possible. It really is fun but no way I could ride this bike on a regular basis. Actually took it back half way through the hour I was allowed because bits of my anatomy were starting to hurt  :\
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 11 August 2013, 09:48:57 pm »

I'm 6'4". Test rode one recently and tried really hard to convince myself it was possible. It really is fun but no way I could ride this bike on a regular basis. Actually took it back half way through the hour I was allowed because bits of my anatomy were starting to hurt  :\

So it's as I suspected then. I wonder if the Speed Triple 1050 is significantly bigger? I've sat on one in a showroom and like the position generally but haven't ridden one. Didn't even bother sitting on the Street Triple, but have been offered a test ride of both, and a Tiger Sport, even tho I told the sales guy I wasn't in a position to buy anything. He said, that's ok, at least you're honest about it! D'you think he thinks he can ensnare me anyway?!

bigfootpete

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 11 August 2013, 10:16:32 pm »
Get it fully Ivanised - there's your grin factor multiplied by 10 straight away :-)

Stage one is barely noticeable...