Date: 18-04-24  Time: 13:56 pm

Author Topic: TAX DISC - Where do you put it?  (Read 6263 times)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
TAX DISC - Where do you put it?
« on: 02 August 2013, 07:46:21 pm »
When I got the bike new in 2004, it came with the tax disc mounted to the chain guard.

The original tax disc holder fell apart of after a while.  I got a replacement from a bike shop a few years back, but it's really shagged now.

I did try a stick on holder that I bought from another bike shop.  You just peel the paper off and stick it and the tax disc to your screen.  They said it would stay there for ever and a day.  The following day it fell off.  So back to the shagged out one.

Just bought a new one off the web, one of those cylinder ones where you roll up yer disc and stuff it in.  But it's just going to get a kicking mounted on the chain guard plus the screw ain't long enougth anyway.

Any suggestions.  Photos would be great.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
Re: TAX DISC - Where do you put it?
« Reply #1 on: 02 August 2013, 07:56:19 pm »
Looks like I'm gonna have to bodge it into the shagged holder for now;

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 August 2013, 07:59:30 pm »
doesnt the rolled up style bolt onto the side of the radiator?

im sure Ive saw someone on here with theirs fixed to the rad. looked ok too (cant remember who though).

perhaps a look through here will give you some ideas:

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,5311.50.html

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 August 2013, 08:10:27 pm »
Somebody said on a thread elsewhere that those "roll-up" ones would be illegal as your tax isn't clearly displayed - but loads of people use them, so not sure he was right?

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 August 2013, 08:31:52 pm »
Mine is on the shelf in the garage,, i think i will put it on,,,,now perhaps,,forgot about it
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 August 2013, 08:43:04 pm »
OK, like this;

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 August 2013, 08:49:38 pm »
Seems to fit there OK.
We'll see how long it lasts.  Every tax disc I've had on a bike had just about dissolved after 12mnths.

A parking warden told me most wardens will only do you for an out of date disc.  He claimed few will do em for no tax disc, as they are a bugger to find, so you never know if it's not got one or you just ain't spotted it.  But of course PC plod will ask for it.

perhaps a look through here will give you some ideas:

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,5311.50.html

Anyway as I consider myself to have a sharp eye, that's 9 pages of Fazer thous I've just reported to DVLA for nae tax.  Bloody tax dodging bastards.  Who do you lot think you are - Bernie Ecclestone?

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 August 2013, 08:57:16 pm »
aye ^^^ like that.

still looks good :)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 August 2013, 09:04:55 pm »
Cheers!

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 August 2013, 09:43:09 pm »
Not overly keen on the ones we do at Oxford Products - the O rings in the ends look way too puny to do much good in sealing out the wet.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile

snapper

• GP Hero
  • Life is an accident waiting to happen
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - panther M120
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 August 2013, 10:38:57 pm »
Mine is under the seat been there since the bike was a year old sorry but never had a problem and what the point of sticking it somewhere that a toe rag can rip it off smashing the bike as well

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 August 2013, 10:49:23 pm »
I get mine laminated then stick it on the inside of the screen with some strong double sided tape, I remove the screen and stick the disk so it's behind the clocks making it difficult for anyone to peel off. Totally waterproof, very visible and as secure as any other method.

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 August 2013, 12:24:44 am »
I have a Oberon tube type fitted in same place on rad. Never leaked in the 4 years its been on.
It's also led back lit but I recently unwired it.

As a parking warden ( well civil enforcement officer ) we report out of date tax to dvla but we run a check first to make sure it is out of date / sorn before It's reported.

Though we take tax disc details down when we issue they are not actually used for anything. And if a vehicle was missing a disc but came back on the check as taxed then all is fine and dandy.

I don't even bother running checks on bikes, very few of us do. To be honest unless your parked realy bloody stupidly most of us don't issue to them anyway :P

samsung

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 August 2013, 08:14:57 am »
fitted my oberon on the side of the givi rack.It has never let water in ever.The cylinder rotates so mr traffic warden can read all details. :)

keithfzs1000

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 03 August 2013, 08:42:52 am »
In a plastic bag under seat   :rollin , as it stops fuckers nicking it lol  :rollin the law about displaying is dated and the bizzies dont pull you for it on a bike as they are prone to being lifted :)
"Dont confuse my personality with my attitude My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are..."

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03 August 2013, 08:53:53 am »
Most bikes Ive had the disc holder was mounted to the rear mudguard-ideal for getting soaked. Present Fazer has disc holder attached to front brake hose guide bracket. Have never come across a waterproof holder yet-every tax disc becomes wet then dries out gradually losing legibility until its time to buy a new one-don't get me started on the cost of bike tax!!! :'(

bigfootpete

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03 August 2013, 09:17:15 am »
Mines in the inside pocket of my jacket... Mind you I rarely park my bike on the street.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 03 August 2013, 03:20:17 pm »
I'm the same, never found a waterproof one yet! Are the roll type holders waterproof? Cos I like them.:D
 I always display it though, as you could easily come across a grumpy traffic cop that hasn't hit his monthly ticket count. He'll do you for not displaying it in a heartbeat. (not that the gutter rats have a heart in the first place) ::)
I've heard that some city guys put a photocopy on the bike and carry the original under the seat. Bloody good idea that one!
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Doddsie

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 August 2013, 03:28:09 pm »
Mines on my top front caliper mount, I always put a thin smear of vaseline round the edge when I put a new tax disc in, never had a problem with water getting in.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03 August 2013, 09:12:53 pm »
Most bikes Ive had the disc holder was mounted to the rear mudguard-ideal for getting soaked. Present Fazer has disc holder attached to front brake hose guide bracket. Have never come across a waterproof holder yet-every tax disc becomes wet then dries out gradually losing legibility until its time to buy a new one-don't get me started on the cost of bike tax!!! :'(

Why, what's wrong with the cost of bike tax? :pokefun :evil

1967fazer

• Club Racer
  • Its not a Rossi rep!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03 August 2013, 09:28:31 pm »
Are you supposed to tax these bikes????? Bugger! :rollin

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 05 August 2013, 10:31:53 pm »
Well my tax disc got inspected today.  Plod wasn't that keen on the holder.  Can you pop it out.  Sure I replied if you have an allen key.  I pointed out that the date, the bar code and the bike details were all on display and he seemed happy.

Had popped up to Falkirk to get my valve clearances checked.  29,000 miles and all in tolerance.
Killed 4 hours in Falkirk, then picked up the bike and decided to head to Callander for a fish supper (Mhor Fish do a top notch fish supper). 

So missed a turn somewhere and ended up heading through, instead of past, Stirling.  Slipped past a police van with a bit of late braking at the traffic lights, made sure it was a neat move, plenty of room and that he wouldn't have to brake hard or anything.  You know as you do, and I don't like sitting behind vans, any van.

So a few hundred yards up the road, I fluff the roundabout, I'm a bit lost and make a late lunge for an exit after a good look over my shoulder at following plod.  So he pulled me.  Fair enougth I thought.  I apologised profusely for the late move on the roundabout, though pointing out that I did have a good look before moving over, but really I should have gone round again.  Sorry officer .

But he wasn't bothered about that, he wasn't happy that I undertook him.  What?  That's not undertaking officer!     So it all got a bit confusing.  Anyway I quickly decided to see things his way, he checked all my details over the radio (no more tickets to hand your docs in?) and I was on my way.

But I figured he wouldn't have been happy if my disc wasn't on display, and that would have actually given him something to give me a ticket for.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 05 August 2013, 11:09:52 pm »
And the police?  Well they looked to me as they they should have still been at school!

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 05 August 2013, 11:15:53 pm »
You never know if you're going to meet a copper who's going to enforce to the letter of the law. DVLA only say that you should display your tax disc on the kerb side (ie l/h side) of the motorcycle. I sympathise with those who say, yeah but it'll get nicked. Unfortunately, Mr. Plod won't necessarily sympathise.