Date: 25-04-24  Time: 07:21 am

Author Topic: Sticking Throttle Cable  (Read 6305 times)

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
Sticking Throttle Cable
« on: 29 July 2013, 06:13:33 pm »
Advice please...

I have a 2000 model FZS 600. The throttle cable has been sticky for a while now, and on the last MOT the guy said to get it sorted before the next one.

When I open the throttle and let it go, it sticks. I stripped off the metal throttle cover and rubber goz and cleaned/lubricated the cable and all of the parts. I let the oil sit running down the cables since Saturday (till Monday) and they feel quite smooth. Soted, I thought. That is until I put the metal cover back on and tighten it. Then the problem comes back, possibly worse.

Obviously I can't leave these parts untightened, so where an I going wrong? Is this a common fault? And what can I do to resolve the issue, which I would like to do sooner rather than later as it is pretty dangerous.  :eek

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Sticking Throttle Cable
« Reply #1 on: 29 July 2013, 06:16:42 pm »
Have you by any chance changed the grips recently?
It's easy for a bit of glue to get in between the throttle tube and the bars making it stick!
Some say...

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #2 on: 29 July 2013, 06:54:52 pm »
Not recently, but when I think about it, it probably started when I fitted heated grips a while back. How can I dissolve the glue/sort the problem...
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 July 2013, 07:10:04 pm »
Never had any bother with my throttle cables.

Can you get a cable oiler on them?

My clutch was getting a bit heavy, must have been getting heavier for years, it's only this year that it was clear all was not well.  Popped the cable oiler on, and bingo, the clutch is one finger light again.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 July 2013, 08:36:30 pm »
I've just thought. Does the fazer 600 throttle have a plastic washer between the throttle tube and the cable housing? Have you put the washer inside the cable housing by mistake? That would certainly make the throttle stick!
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 July 2013, 08:41:05 pm »
I had a similar problem when I first fitted heated grips, it was the wire to the grips getting snagged and making the throttle stick.
Check the cables from the grip and the donut ring.

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #6 on: 29 July 2013, 08:49:55 pm »
I dismantles the whole assembly on Saturday. Then I cleaned and oiled it all. Re oiled it today and reassembled it. it was on tightening of the metal housing that the problem re-emerged. There was no washer on my bike when I bought it, but I am not sure if there is meant to be one. There would be enough space, just. Anyone know for sure...

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #7 on: 29 July 2013, 08:52:45 pm »
I just read that last post properly. The cable to the heated grips is free and unobstructed.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 July 2013, 08:54:58 pm »
Is the throttle grip pushed too close up to the cable housing then?
To eliminate anything to do with the grips take it off the throttle side, ( easily done with a spray of wd40 and a long screwdriver) clean the tube inner and around the bar, re fit it without the grip and see how the action is then, if it doesn't snap back then its something else!
Some say...

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 July 2013, 12:23:18 pm »
I found on mine that the outer end of the grip was fouling on the bar end.  I needed to shave a little bit of rubber from the inner section to give it some clear air between it and the end.

alan sherman

• FOC-U Pimp Daddy and
    Sick Note
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 July 2013, 01:54:33 pm »
Seconded - check the bar end end.  I reamed out the rubber to stop it sticking on the bar.  By 'reamed' I mean hacked away with a craft knife.

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #11 on: 30 July 2013, 03:37:04 pm »
Sorted, Punkstig was on the money first time  ;) . Glue, glue, foccin glue. I took the whole thing apart - AGAIN - and found that there is indeed a washer, glued to the grip rubber. So I used my Stanley and some oil to free it and spent half and hour getting all the crap and excess out with the knife and a pincer screwdriver. After I was satisfied that all excess glue was gone, I reassembled it and - ta raa - it worked like new. Glad it turned out to be a nice sunny day. This post surgical recovery is turning out to be quite fun. Even better when I can swing a leg over  :lol

Thanks a million guys  :D

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 July 2013, 08:52:15 pm »
It could have been any of the above but that's the good thing about these forums, we can learn from everyone else's mistakes, I did it fitting heated grips to my last bike even though I've fitted them to 3 other bikes I just smothered the glue on not paying any attention to where it was going, I ended up at mechanics not knowing why I had high revs at traffic lights, as soon as I saw the glue I was like 'dumbass' palm-face!
Some say...