dillon

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - Hayabusa
    • View Profile
Clutch
« on: 21 July 2013, 09:48:46 am »
Hi every one as I have said in my intro I have a mate with a 2009 FZ1s and he has a worn out clutch, I popped the pack out yesterday and its shagged/worn out totally and is slipping badly.
My question is what is the best replacement clutch pack (fibre and steels) to put in and where do we buy it from ?????

I should say I was led here by a Mr White from the UKBUSAS forum who said I should mark it for the attention of devilsyam, hope that makes sense.

Also any advice/tips on re fitting the clutch and adjustment would help. I got it to bit easy  :D

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch
« Reply #1 on: 21 July 2013, 10:44:54 am »
Yes , a problem there, nothing that i know about,

Just the question , what was the cause of the problem, i have not heard of a clutch problem, not with this model, maybe a faulty one, i would guess you buy the standard replacement as it seems to be very reliable.

An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

black8

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 July 2013, 03:01:00 pm »
It was me that introduced dillon to this site with his problem and thought you guy`s could help him out  :D

dillon

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - Hayabusa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 July 2013, 04:31:09 pm »
It is a strange one the bike is low milage 6k and the clutch is well and truly worn out or should I say burnt out, the steels are black and the friction plates are in a bad way too. Im wondering if there is another problem in there causing this. The only thing that was out of the ordinary for me was you know the last steel that comes out of the basket (the one that's wired in) well that was a very tight fit and took some getting out, this could be caused through warping because of heat but on inspection I found it to be burred quit badly.
Any advice would help and also is there a knack to getting the splined shaft that pulls the pressure plate to line up with the one in the cover when re fitting.

Black8  how ironic Black on here and White on there  :D

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 July 2013, 04:33:42 pm »
What oil was he using?

dillon

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - Hayabusa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 July 2013, 07:00:02 pm »
That was my next question what oil do they like I think he was using Halfords semi synth.

Also can you tell me the torque for the clutch spring bolts and the clutch cover bolts Please, or is there a workshop manual download somewhere.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 July 2013, 08:02:27 pm »
All the info you want here : http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?action=downloads;cat=4
As a guide Fully synthetic 10W-40 for racing and track days and Semi synthetic 10W-40 for everthing else.
I use 10W-40 Semi senthetic all the time Silkolene or Castrol Motorcycle specific oil (I can get it at the right price), but have used non friction enhanced car version 10W-40 semi synthetic for years without any problems.
Which you go for is a personal decision,
If he was using Halfords semi synthetic, was it the car verson or motorcycle version?

« Last Edit: 22 July 2013, 08:18:09 pm by unfazed »

dillon

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - Hayabusa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 July 2013, 08:33:50 pm »
It was the motorcycle version of semi synth, interestingly Castrol own Halfords and I have often wondered how good their home brand is compared to power 1.

hanks for the link  ;)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 July 2013, 09:11:59 pm »
Interested to know if this bike had a previous owner, or have you had it from new? If you're the second (or more) owner, how long, how many miles? I take it you're not a wheelie/burnouts/other merchant? Cos it does sound like the clutch has had some abuse in one way or another? Also, can't seem to remember what options are available on new clutch plates other than Yam or EBC frictions with Yam steels, or a complete set of Yam (which I take it are silly money?), so , interested to hear others suggestions on this? Is the oil question a sidetrack?
« Last Edit: 22 July 2013, 09:13:07 pm by nick crisp »

eddie

• FOC-U Lost Boy.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 July 2013, 10:19:04 pm »
Nothing wrong with Halfords bike semi syth oil  .600 did 70 thou miles on it..current bike 48 thou miles

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 July 2013, 10:59:34 pm »
It was the motorcycle version of semi synth, interestingly Castrol own Halfords and I have often wondered how good their home brand is compared to power 1.

hanks for the link  ;)

Bizarre. I just had to look this up and they've been owned by Boots too at one point too! I mean, I know Boots are a retail company, but what an odd couple they must have made. I wonder if they ever mixed up baby oil and 10w/40 orders. Can you run a Fazer on baby oil, come to that.

Looks like they're a standalone PLC now having been floated on the LSE in 2010. No idea whether Castrol supply their own brand oil, but there's precious few companies that actually make basic oil, so it'll likely come from the same place, just with different additives.

He said, sounding like he knew what he was talking about. (i.e. feel free to shoot me down in flames)

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 July 2013, 11:53:34 pm »
Nothing wrong with Halfords Motorcycle Oil. :rolleyes The problem is when people use the diesel car versions which have to many detergents in them for the wet clutches.
Our local valeter reckons baby oil is great for bringing a shine to dull paint work if applied spairingly and rubbed dry.  :lol
Check the oil specfication and you will probably find both Castrol and Halfords are similiar if not the same.

dillon

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - Hayabusa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 July 2013, 10:41:55 am »
To clarify this is not my bike so detailed info on its history I don't have, the current owner (my mate) is deffo not a burnout wheelie merchant all though I know he did do a RWYB about a year ago so I don't think this would be the total cause, I really think its been miss adjusted.

As for Halfords and who owns them Boots is interesting maybe we can run on Baby oil but on the flip side I would hate to think I have been rubbing semi synth all over my missus  :D mind you she does have a nice tan  ;)
Back on topic the The plates have been ordered from a main dealer and they were also the cheapest (shock horror) so genuine Yam ones going in along with semi synth. I carnt thin of any other reson why the clutch should wear out in 6K other than being miss adjusted.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 July 2013, 06:21:21 pm »
Run What You Brung could quite well have caused the problem. Put that together with poor clutch control during the runs and you get the problem you describe.
Make sure you soak the plates for a few hours before installing and change the oil and filter after installing them.

dillon

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - Hayabusa
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 July 2013, 08:50:47 pm »
Yep will do on the install  :)

As for the rwyb if he mullered the clutch back then it wouldn't have lasted till now, I have done loads of rwyb's  ad never done this much to a clutch. I have also seen a vid of his runs and they look OK to me. Any way it will all be sorted tomorrow.

dillon

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - Hayabusa
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 24 July 2013, 06:07:24 pm »
Did the install today and every thing is tickety boo all the plates slipped in no trouble at all unlike the ones that came out we adjusted it up proper and gave it some nice Castrol Power 1 and a new filter. Took it out for a test and My Mate recons its the best its ever been so Im happy with that. I also had a little blast and was very impressed with it I can see why you guys love them.

Thanks for the help and advice

Till he breaks it again  :lol

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 July 2013, 06:14:06 pm »
Love the pun "Slipped in no problem"  :lol
I notice from you profile, you do not consider the Haybusa a bike  :rollin

dillon

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - Hayabusa
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 July 2013, 08:09:26 pm »
The Hayabusa is not a bike Its AWSOME  :lol  Ive had 5 of them from a stocker to supercharged, Turbo and now back to a stocker I love them but as time goes by im finding them a tad uncomfortable and Im looking for something  a bit more friendly. I rode Tims FZ1 today and that was very nice but I think I will pop some higher bars on the old Busa first just to be sure.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 July 2013, 09:17:04 pm »
A great motor  :thumbup , that Turbo must have been truly awesome. What kind of BHP did that put out?  Did you any of drag them?.
A tyre fitter friend of mine is addicted to them. He was pulled over by the german cops on the Autobahn a few years ago doing 140 mph on the outside lane on his Haybusa.  He was cited for going to slow on the outside lane, the lads with him could not be consoled and kept asking him why he restricted it. Ever since he is called Restrictor.  :lol 

dillon

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - Hayabusa
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 July 2013, 10:15:42 pm »
Well without going too deep on a Fazer forum My Turbo ran on a stock motor 250-270 rwbhp and took me to a speed of 213.1mph when I weighed 20stone. I sold it and it has gone a lot faster with its new lighter owner but that's a very long storey.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24 July 2013, 10:58:37 pm »
A story for some night in a pub.  :)

dillon

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - Hayabusa
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 25 July 2013, 06:43:28 am »
Its not pub bragging rights its all true and I have the timing tickets to prove it  :)

samsung

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 25 July 2013, 09:48:18 am »
I have always used halfords semi synthetic motorcycle oil with no problem.Should there be?

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 25 July 2013, 06:05:16 pm »
I have always used halfords semi synthetic motorcycle oil with no problem.Should there be?
Short answer, no