Date: 26-04-24  Time: 01:46 am

Author Topic: Chicken strips  (Read 21716 times)

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
Re: Chicken strips
« Reply #50 on: 05 September 2013, 04:00:32 pm »
Night, I don't are what people spend their hard earned on. People buy stars for goodness sakes. And as for the affordability thing, I could go buy a Panigale or HP4 right now if I wanted to. My point was, why? Unless you can use it, what's the point? I have passed countless 1000cc sportsrers that look tense and uncomfortable on their bike. When they could learn more and save some scratch on a more useable machine. You see where im coming from here? 
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 05 September 2013, 04:08:11 pm »
The op started about getting rid of his strips on the fazer. And he is down to 5mm I would say that is as far as it will on on these bike befor the exhaust is grounding out along with foot rests.
I dont get how some sports bike riders are hanging off the side round a roundabout to get their knee down yet the bike is almost still upright

Having 4 foot long legs must help. As mine are 2 foot long, this has been my excuse.

Mickey the vertically challenged divot
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 05 September 2013, 04:32:13 pm »
Well i think when people buy a bike, it's not just a bike but a dream they are buying also.If a guy has always dreamed since he was a teenager about having a Fireblade then he'll eventually have one whether he can ride it well or not.& once that itch has been scratched & he realises the reality isnt as good as the dream, he sells it on..& you get a nice bike that hasnt been ridden much.maybe that is why you see so many for sale with chicken strips.
& of course theres the magazines & marketing which used to be superbike biased & now they are on the adventure bike mission which many are buying into, no different when most people arent adventuring on them but that's still their choice.
& adee what makes you want a bigger 750, if like you say you havent reached the limits of the 600 yet?, is it just because you fancy something a bit different or a change from what you know or whatever, if so then you may have already answered your question regarding why other bikers have big bikes.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 05 September 2013, 05:41:54 pm »
I haven't got chicken strips on mine but I don't think I get excessive lean angles or anything grounding out,,,

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 05 September 2013, 06:00:21 pm »
Night, I don't are what people spend their hard earned on. People buy stars for goodness sakes. And as for the affordability thing, I could go buy a Panigale or HP4 right now if I wanted to. My point was, why? Unless you can use it, what's the point? I have passed countless 1000cc sportsrers that look tense and uncomfortable on their bike. When they could learn more and save some scratch on a more useable machine. You see where im coming from here?

Right then, can I have a KTM 1190 Adventure, a Ducati Hypermotard, an MV Brutale and.....
No, no, it's ok, I'll pay my own running costs, very kind of you to offer!
You can borrow them once in a while too, of course  :)

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #55 on: 05 September 2013, 06:07:52 pm »
I scraped the chicken strips on the FZS600 (on the rear tyre, front has some left - same pair?!?), but did it on the track. In traffic, speed that asks for that much lean angle is not one at witch I can stop if some shit happens on the road, in my line of sight. So my tyres have visible 2-3 cm on both sides of almost unused rubber, only ever usable on the track. I'm not a racer, but I'm not a poor rider either.

From English riders I met I've heard that UK pavement is a lot grippier (or, better: that Serbian pavement is too slippery, but tyres last twice as long on it) though. Maybe that can allow for greater speed, while still being safe, able to stop in time.
« Last Edit: 05 September 2013, 06:10:04 pm by Slaninar »
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 05 September 2013, 06:40:40 pm »
Hmmmm....May start riding on the pavement then.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #57 on: 05 September 2013, 06:48:52 pm »

Pavement as road surface, asphalt - that is what I meant.

Chillum

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently bikeless
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 05 September 2013, 08:28:34 pm »
Don't worry Slaninar, he knew perfectly well what you meant :)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 05 September 2013, 08:33:35 pm »
A GPZ1100 with a Harris pipe scatters pedestrians very nicely when wheelspun along the pavement.
Just an observation.
« Last Edit: 05 September 2013, 08:36:04 pm by nick crisp »

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #60 on: 05 September 2013, 08:33:51 pm »
Well i think when people buy a bike, it's not just a bike but a dream they are buying also.If a guy has always dreamed since he was a teenager about having a Fireblade then he'll eventually have one whether he can ride it well or not.& once that itch has been scratched & he realises the reality isnt as good as the dream, he sells it on..& you get a nice bike that hasnt been ridden much.maybe that is why you see so many for sale with chicken strips.
& of course theres the magazines & marketing which used to be superbike biased & now they are on the adventure bike mission which many are buying into, no different when most people arent adventuring on them but that's still their choice.
& adee what makes you want a bigger 750, if like you say you havent reached the limits of the 600 yet?, is it just because you fancy something a bit different or a change from what you know or whatever, if so then you may have already answered your question regarding why other bikers have big bikes.

I am not planning to change my bike, I am growing my garage and adding a third bike. I fancy a sports bike again because the handling, performance & riding position is more focused for aggressive riding. So, when I'm in the mood, I can go out and rip the nuts off a bike designed for that job, rather than my poor wee Fazer bouncing off the limiter in 4th  :rolleyes . I have decided that post 600 will suit my needs best. My first bike after passing my test was a CBR600 and it was too revvy for my liking. The GSXR 750 or Triumph 675 have some mid range too. That is why I am going for a bigger engine. The thou is FAR to much for me right now. Had a day out on an R1, a shot on a Gixxer and an Blade. Scary, for me anyway. Maybe in 10 years  ;) . Does that answer our question?
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

bigsteve

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TDM850 FZS600SP
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 05 September 2013, 09:27:20 pm »

If you have 90 mins spare try watching this

Twist of the Wrist 2

It a bit cheesey  but the science seems good

Its helped me understand a bit more

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 05 September 2013, 10:26:02 pm »
I like Twist Of The Wrist :)

I've watched it at least twice to my recollection and will probably watch it again to pick up something I've forgotten

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #63 on: 05 September 2013, 10:53:47 pm »
Twist DVD lives in my kitchen. I like to put it on when I cook. Must have seen it 10 times. Super cheesy, especially the kids class room and the two main "characters". And who could forget the stud with the aviator sunglasses  :lol . The book is better, but well worth a watch though.

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 05 September 2013, 11:31:37 pm »
Not being funny here but what is a chicken strip, is that the wee bits of rubber spikes that stick out near the edge of the tyre. Or is it the part of the tyre near the edge that has not come into contact with the road?? If so I am not as chicken as I thought.
Lew.  :eek
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

coupcoup

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 06 September 2013, 12:01:08 am »
Have to admit that I was desperate to scrub my chicken strips off... dunno why... but I've only managed the rear and that was due to some hairpins on a road near me, I'm guessing the front only scrubs with faster corners...  I'm really fast in a straight line though... :b

I reckon the 600 will always be more than enough bike for me to handle. 

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #66 on: 06 September 2013, 12:08:41 am »
Not being funny here but what is a chicken strip

It's the unworn bit of the tyre (because it's not been in contact with the road), the more you lean the bike over, the narrower the unworn section.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 06 September 2013, 12:10:24 am »
Not being funny here but what is a chicken strip,
Thats easy they are like goujons but thinner
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 06 September 2013, 12:52:01 am »

Why not,   there're enough fekkin cyclists doing so, at speed too and they get away with it :/
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

Slaninar

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #69 on: 06 September 2013, 07:18:42 am »

Why not,   there're enough fekkin cyclists doing so, at speed too and they get away with it :/

If you knew you'd find yourself,
doing the same thing too!   

Judas Priest - Breaking The Law

:)

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 06 September 2013, 08:12:26 am »
Not being funny here but what is a chicken strip, is that the wee bits of rubber spikes that stick out near the edge of the tyre. Or is it the part of the tyre near the edge that has not come into contact with the road?? If so I am not as chicken as I thought.
The Shiny part on the edge of the tyre which is not on the side wall.

Mine are an inch all around apart from the rear right hand side which is about  7mm.  I'm more confident turning right than left.  Dunno why.
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 06 September 2013, 08:46:48 am »
The Shiny part on the edge of the tyre which is not on the side wall.

Mine are an inch all around apart from the rear right hand side which is about  7mm.  I'm more confident turning right than left.  Dunno why.
Just curious here are you right handed or left handed, I am right handed but prefer left hand bends.
I also find this though on the continent , as you drive on the wrong side of the road from us Brits, going up hill on mountain roads I prefer left hand hairpin bends than right yet going down hill it is the other way around. I am used to ridding out here now so it is not a new thing for me.
Lew

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 06 September 2013, 11:34:03 am »
I'm right handed.  I always feel more comfortable on right turns than left but it could be inexperience.  A tight right freaks me, a tight left and I'm deeply scared.  I slow right down and give myself plenty of space, that's why I don't like fast riders behind me.  I'll ride in my own capabilities but there is the additional worry of holding people up or wiping out those behind me.

I generally try and keep a lot of space all around me and don't like being crowded.  If I do get crowded I just slow down till they overtake or get bored.

So yes, huge chicken strips all around for me.  Ask me again when I've been riding 6 Years rather than 6 months.
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

tkwish

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 06 September 2013, 12:03:39 pm »
If your going into a hairpin bend at a speed and angle as to remove your chicken strips then surely your going to fast as you can't possible see what is around that corner and be in a position to stop if you need to      do if you haven't got strips on normal Road use surely this indicates a Dangerous rider

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 06 September 2013, 01:11:39 pm »
If your going into a hairpin bend at a speed and angle as to remove your chicken strips then surely your going to fast as you can't possible see what is around that corner and be in a position to stop if you need to      do if you haven't got strips on normal Road use surely this indicates a Dangerous rider
Not all hairpin bends are blind corners as a matter of fact were I am most are open view.