Date: 24-04-24  Time: 04:08 am

Author Topic: EXUP valve movement  (Read 2022 times)

FazerRuss

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
EXUP valve movement
« on: 18 July 2013, 04:01:33 pm »
Just wondering, how stiff should the valve be in the collector box?

The reason for asking, is that I've (as some may have read) recently refurbished an exhaust and exup valve.

The valve was very seized and took quite a bit of effort to free up.

It'sll all nicely moving in the bushes at both ends now, but it did take a little bit of tweaking as I think the valve was slightly bent.  It's at a poitn now where I've tweaked it back and forth to find where it is the most free moving, but to me it still feels like there's a little resistance.

My only comparison is my current one, which is very loose in the bushes - seems almost too loose - and as I don't know what mielage bike this other exhuast came off, I've no idea if it seized early in it's life and therefore hasn't worn as much as mine (which wasn't seized when I eventually got the bugger out to grease it up!).

I can turn the pulley by hand just using thumb and index finger, and there's no resistance points now I've straightened it out, but it feels....dunno...it doesn't slop around if you know what I mean.  Feels a bit like the end is in a tub of a viscous liquid or something.  It's not tight, doesn't stick in places, there's just a general light resistance.

Perhaps the servo is quite manly and as long as the valve isn't sticking it won't be an issue.

Just thought i'd ask the question before I swap exhausts over.

Cheers

Russ

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: EXUP valve movement
« Reply #1 on: 18 July 2013, 06:18:48 pm »
Remove the pulley and try rotating the valve with your thumb and forefinger.  It should move freely, no resistance. 

If the servo motor senses any resistance, it shuts down - t'ain't as manly as you hope, I fear. :)

jeffco

• Weekend Warrior
  • To old for it to be a midlife crisis
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 July 2013, 07:00:12 pm »
I have had a similar problem where by I think my exup valve isn't straight ive put it on a straight edge, I bought some v blocks and looked at it and with the naked eye it looks good, but I can clean and lube it and after a few rides it starts flicking 7000 again, On a recent run around Scotland every morning it would jump but as soon as I started riding it would act as normal, if I stopped the engine having a break it would jump when putting the key in the start position but then be OK riding.  once I saw it was ok when riding I just ignored it and gave it a clean when I got home.

FazerRuss

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 July 2013, 07:08:24 pm »
Thanks guys. 

I gave it another little tweak,  this time the cover plate end (after I'd carefully drifted it out,  as that was stuck on as well),  and just a little tweak has removed all stickiness.  Now it's just the friction of half a tube of copper grease I can feel I think! >:D:))

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 July 2013, 09:01:12 pm »
Sounds good. :) 

FazerRuss

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 July 2013, 09:24:16 pm »
I did your 'try it without the pulley'  test,  and it seems all good.

Thanks mate >:D

dannymassive

• Weekend Warrior
  • 2001 Gen 1 FZS1000
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 July 2013, 10:51:37 am »
....... Now it's just the friction of half a tube of copper grease I can feel I think! > :D :))

:lol The more the merrier! Just keep on top of it and re-grease it every few thousand miles to keep it in tip top condition.
« Last Edit: 19 July 2013, 10:52:15 am by dannymassive »
2001 Gen 1 FZS1000