Date: 19-04-24  Time: 15:24 pm

Author Topic: Circuit of Wales racetrack  (Read 6992 times)

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
Circuit of Wales racetrack
« on: 12 July 2013, 07:21:12 am »
Anyone seen much about this?  It's been approved by local councils, lets hope it goes ahead :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-23246491

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Circuit of Wales racetrack
« Reply #1 on: 12 July 2013, 09:12:05 am »
Yeah, can't wait for the locals to start complaining of unexpected noise after its completed!
Some say...

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 July 2013, 09:13:11 am »
If it gets built I'm moving straight to Wales!  :D
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 July 2013, 08:01:33 pm »
I posted about this twelve ,months ago, and live about 10 miles away, it looks great but I don't think they will get the cash you heard it here first. :evil ,
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 July 2013, 08:35:23 pm »
I don't think they will get the cash you heard it here first. :evil ,
Tbh I think this is how it'll end up :(  I'd love it to happen but I'll believe it when I see it.

evesdad

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2010 z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 July 2013, 09:02:45 pm »
Only 10 mins away from me to but, I'll believe it when it's finished. Anybody know why it would be for all classes of racing except formula one?

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 July 2013, 11:14:57 am »
Only 10 mins away from me to but, I'll believe it when it's finished. Anybody know why it would be for all classes of racing except formula one?

No-one's given an reason as far as I know, but I reckon it's a case of capacity. If you look at the area I don't think there's the accessibility or the local infrastructure to deal with the crowds, media, support crews and the general F1 circus, while other racing series such as Moto GP, BTCC, FIA GT and the like are much smaller in comparison.

This is only my guess mind, you'd be in a better position to know being local.

evesdad

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2010 z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 July 2013, 09:37:59 pm »

No-one's given an reason as far as I know, but I reckon it's a case of capacity. If you look at the area I don't think there's the accessibility or the local infrastructure to deal with the crowds, media, support crews and the general F1 circus, while other racing series such as Moto GP, BTCC, FIA GT and the like are much smaller in comparison.

This is only my guess mind, you'd be in a better position to know being local.

If you build it they will come as Kevin Costner once said :)

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 July 2013, 09:50:04 pm »
to cut a long story short. someone has done a check on the directors etc, none have run anything before, got no money, and the office is above a shop in cheltnam.?

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 July 2013, 06:20:15 pm »
I went up to South Wales this weekend.
The new circuit will be over to the left, maybe. I couldn't get to see the lay of the land, but looked like a small plateau at the top of the hill up though the industrial estate. Most of GB has clear blue skies and scorching sunshine, but here in South Wales......

Some fantastic views and roads in the area.

I headed up to Elan Valley, but a festival in Rhayder caused gridlock in the town centre, so turned around.

The last time I was here in the upper Irfon valley was 1980ish, when I was into canoeing. It had been raining the week before so a few of us from Hereford Kayak Club went for a gander. The upper Irfon is only navigable after heavy rain. The night before we went it snowed. We parked up on the road and tobogganed down from the road to the river in our kayaks.

I stayed in Llanwrtyd Wells, the smallest town in GB. Home of the bog snorkelling world championships and the Alternative World Games held last year alongside the Olympics, including stuff like Carry your Wife race etc. 3 excellent pubs within 400m from the B&B. 1 brewed its own beer. The B&B was a good one too. http://www.bryncelyn-guesthouse.co.uk/
There was a Belgium guy and his 15 year old daughter as pillion staying there. They were on a KTM 990 SM and didn't fancy the South of France as it was too hot and thunderstorms, so chose Wales instead. 
Both ways up to the Severn Bridge it was hot and sunny. Over the new bridge (free for motorbikes)  it dropped in temperature by what seemed like 10c due to the sea. Nice. Then it was cloudier in Wales which was ok as it wasn't so hot.
Leaving Llanwrtyd Wells Sunday morning it started raining! Not enough to wet the roads and only lasted 2 minutes.

http://goo.gl/maps/1182S

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/1996600794

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 July 2013, 06:38:58 pm »
I like the photo link Phil. Looks very much like my collection from various trips in the UK, must figure out how to set up such a link myself. My last Wales trip 2 weeks ago failed due to searing hot weather, and I must have been coming down with the viral infection I 've had for the last couple of weeks - you're just making me want to get straight back out there! I think a couple of the roads you've snapped there I haven't explored yet, so it's unfinished business!
I'm wondering if it's going to be possible to set up a gallery on this site for everyone's touring shots, waiting for Farjo to get back to answer this.

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 July 2013, 05:09:40 pm »
all cancelled by the welsh government lol, even  though local council gave approval lol,

peejay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Bonneville
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 July 2013, 06:20:03 pm »

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 31 July 2013, 07:48:18 pm »
Apprently its because of flora and fauna, but the planners suspected this and added it into the equation so its just the welsh assembly trying to get involved.
Bloody politicians.  :2guns
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 August 2013, 08:05:40 pm »

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 27 November 2013, 06:43:16 pm »

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27 November 2013, 09:25:53 pm »
they want to get the diggers in quick before the government stop it, imagine the luxury apartments they could build there,. :D

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 November 2013, 08:38:51 am »
Apparently they need £280 million investment to get the project going. Used to go to Rassau industrial Estate in my working days & if anyone remembers Ebbw Vale in its steel making hayday any investment in the area has to be good news for all concerned. Has the possibilities of an amazing world class circuit in panoramic scenery. Bring it on!

msmudge

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Circuit of Wales racetrack
« Reply #18 on: 28 November 2013, 03:37:05 pm »
I know I'm a biker and that what I'm going to say will piss most if you off. But I hope this dies on its arse. Only yesterday I went to a meeting to discuss the closure of my daughters comprehensive school happening Sept 2015. Right when she's doing her GCSE's. They say they only have £6m to refurbish an old school which will accommodate two schools. It's a fucking joke. Well at least she'll be able to work there as a waitress when she fails her exams due to the upheaval.
Sorry about the rant guys. But it's just how I feel.
« Last Edit: 28 November 2013, 03:38:00 pm by msmudge »

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 November 2013, 07:47:31 pm »
Hey msmudge, I feel your pain but if this track isn't built it would make not one jot of difference to your plight.  Different budgets.

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

msmudge

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28 November 2013, 11:39:05 pm »

Hey msmudge, I feel your pain but if this track isn't built it would make not one jot of difference to your plight.  Different budgets.

Mickey

No. I know it won't. But it's just not right when another school is getting £19m for a new building. I'm sure £19m off the £280m budget for the track won't make much of a difference to the facilities there.

Anyway rant over, as I don't want to hijack the thread.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 29 November 2013, 05:52:25 pm »
Sorry to hear of your daughters education being disrupted-its tough all round at present and I know Wales has been hit really hard -hope they come up with a plan that doesn't affect her exam opportunities. Unfortunately politicians seem to exist in their own cocooned universe. Our only future hope(UK) as a whole depends on our children & grandchildren getting the best start in life.

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 29 November 2013, 07:04:20 pm »
if I am correct this is supposed to be all private investment/?

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30 November 2013, 07:49:34 am »
that area of wales is crying out for investment. Its the lives of thousands of families to be considered , not just 1 persons education. It might be easier to move to a new school, than for a whole community to get work and prospects .

I know ebbw vale, its like a area of devastation.... at least this type of project would be self sustaining , its not short term aid.

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 30 November 2013, 02:38:43 pm »
I know ebbw vale, its like a area of devastation.... at least this type of project would be self sustaining , its not short term aid.

I've been there a few times and if anywhere needs investment it's there. I just hope it won't be a white elephant and die on it's feet in a few years. That could be the nail in the area's coffin.