Date: 18-04-24  Time: 03:33 am

Author Topic: 1999 Fazer 600 surging power  (Read 6579 times)

fazerlad100

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
1999 Fazer 600 surging power
« on: 07 July 2013, 06:46:09 pm »
Hi all,
     i'm new to the forum. Had my 1999 Fazer 600 for 4 yrs now. I gave it a service yesterday, plugs, air filter and new oil and filter. took it out today and it aint running right at all. Under hard acceleration it is losing power then as you roll off the throttle it seems to pick up again. I'm thinking it could be the park plugs but thought i'd stick a post on here for some much needed advice as going on a tour of Scotland next month.
Thanks in advance for your replies.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: 1999 Fazer 600 surging power
« Reply #1 on: 07 July 2013, 07:11:16 pm »
What make air filter?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 July 2013, 08:23:05 pm »
Don't think the oil level would effect running. Could be a dodgy air filter but maybe check the hoses around the tank for kinks

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 July 2013, 08:25:27 pm »
try putting the old plugs and filter back in and see what happens  ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

ponkster

• Weekend Warrior
  • Grumpy Old MF
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - VN 1500 P1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 July 2013, 08:46:49 pm »
sounds like an   air/fuel mix problem ,take the airfilter out and go for a run and if it gets worse its a fuel issue - as some one said probable a kinked fuel pipe but if it improves its the air filter restricting the airflow too much .
"Don't Die with Fun in the Bank!"

littlejohno

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 July 2013, 09:33:25 pm »
Are dodgy air filters common !!!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 July 2013, 10:02:11 pm »
Are dodgy air filters common !!!

I had a cheap Hi-Flo filter that i felt wasn't letting enough air through.
And it wasn't until i replaced it for a K&N that i realised how ill fitting it was too in comparison.
It rattled about by a good 5mm whereas the K&N was a very snug fit.

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 July 2013, 11:05:24 pm »
And it wasn't until i replaced it for a K&N that i realised how ill fitting it was too in comparison.

What symptoms did you get?  I have one of those filters but have always had a hesitation when opening it up.

littlejohno

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 July 2013, 11:20:45 pm »
Mine bogs between 7ish to 10 now the old one had oil in as the bike was over filled when I bought it

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 July 2013, 05:56:31 am »

What symptoms did you get?  I have one of those filters but have always had a hesitation when opening it up.

From what i can remember it just felt like it was gasping for air, as if the filter paper was too thick.
These bikes generally run a bit rich anyway so starving them of air could well be a cause of a hesitation problem.
If you want a quick test, just take the filter out for 10mins while the weather is good and go for a little test ride and see if the hesitation goes away.
If it does then it's a K&N all the way!  :)

NOTE: This hot weather won't help matters if you have any breathing problems with an air filter.
« Last Edit: 08 July 2013, 09:42:59 am by darrsi »

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 July 2013, 11:04:02 am »
when i changed my oil the bike ran shite between 4-8k, there was no power.

dropped it so it was 1mm above the lowest point on the sight gauge and it was like having my bike back but better.

That's a strange one. Does it burn oil?

fazerlad100

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 July 2013, 08:02:52 pm »
Thanks to all for the advice so far. Going to try the air filter, checked for kinked pipe under tank and also may drop a little oil out.

Thanks again.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 July 2013, 08:38:27 pm »
Don't drop oil for fun, just make sure it has the correct amount in it.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 July 2013, 09:49:32 pm »
Can anyone explain how oil level effects performance other than the obvious no oil or 5 litres too much oil  :lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 July 2013, 11:44:26 pm »
Can anyone explain how oil level effects performance other than the obvious no oil or 5 litres too much oil  :lol

Too much oil burst my cam chain tensioner gasket after a heavy duty blast, other than that i can't see any issues?
That was 4 litres by the previous owner instead of 2.5.

Basically the bike had too much beer and was sick!
« Last Edit: 09 July 2013, 12:52:23 am by darrsi »

fazerlad100

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 12 July 2013, 08:58:16 pm »
Drooped some oil out of mine today and it is now working and running great yet again. I also put the old air filter back in so not quite sure which one cured the problem, should have done one at a time  :lol
Thanks to all for the advice and suggestions.

when i changed my oil the bike ran shite between 4-8k, there was no power.

dropped it so it was 1mm above the lowest point on the sight gauge and it was like having my bike back but better.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 July 2013, 09:05:35 pm »
Something to do with pressurising the crankcase?

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 July 2013, 09:14:25 pm »

Maybe. You can't argue with results but I don't understand it

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12 July 2013, 09:56:24 pm »
Just read a couple of articles on this, interesting, but not sure conclusive in this case. One result of too much oil is that you wind up with bearings/crankshaft sitting in oil, creating excess drag, thus reducing performance. However, all those moving parts sitting directly in the oil churn it up and cause it to foam. This reduces lubricating quality, actually decreases oil pressure, with resulting carnage. Horror stories of broken con rods, holed cases, spark plugs blown out etc! Surprised nothing blew out of the breather pipe tho'.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12 July 2013, 10:36:01 pm »
Just read a couple of articles on this, interesting, but not sure conclusive in this case. One result of too much oil is that you wind up with bearings/crankshaft sitting in oil, creating excess drag, thus reducing performance. However, all those moving parts sitting directly in the oil churn it up and cause it to foam. This reduces lubricating quality, actually decreases oil pressure, with resulting carnage. Horror stories of broken con rods, holed cases, spark plugs blown out etc! Surprised nothing blew out of the breather pipe tho'.

Interesting stuff. I don't know enough about how the oil circulates to understand what happens when  too much is put in but I know you can wreck an engine with too much oil and I could see how you could have a drop in the power that it's putting out but you'd think it would effect the whole rpm range rather than between 8-10k or 4-6k. The circulation of oil is definitely something to look into though. An interesting area indeed!

littlejohno

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12 July 2013, 10:47:19 pm »
I dropped 3.5 litres out of mine to take it to the Max I'd say there main issues for to much oil are blowing seals the risk of hydraulicking and possibly breathing so heavy it ruins on oil.
Luckily mine seems ok except the bogging fault :(

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12 July 2013, 11:04:57 pm »

Interesting stuff. I don't know enough about how the oil circulates to understand what happens when  too much is put in but I know you can wreck an engine with too much oil and I could see how you could have a drop in the power that it's putting out but you'd think it would effect the whole rpm range rather than between 8-10k or 4-6k. The circulation of oil is definitely something to look into though. An interesting area indeed!
A shot in the dark: Perhaps at lower revs, the drag is too minimal to create a noticeable difference. As revs increase, (speed of moving parts) so does drag coefficient, so performance loss is more noticeable. If you check back on this thread, Fizzy Pies doesn't say anything about problems at low revs when his was overfilled. Littlejohnos bogged higher up the rev range. Fazerlads initial post said it bogged when he tried to accelerate hard. All fit in with this idea. Of course, it could be complete b*****ks!

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 12 July 2013, 11:28:06 pm »

A shot in the dark: Perhaps at lower revs, the drag is too minimal to create a noticeable difference. As revs increase, (speed of moving parts) so does drag coefficient, so performance loss is more noticeable. If you check back on this thread, Fizzy Pies doesn't say anything about problems at low revs when his was overfilled. Littlejohnos bogged higher up the rev range. Fazerlads initial post said it bogged when he tried to accelerate hard. All fit in with this idea. Of course, it could be complete b*****ks!

I don't know could be right could be a load of horse manure  :lol Are there any fluid mechanics experts on foc-u? :lol

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 14 July 2013, 04:43:23 pm »
I would imagine that the higher the bike is revving, the more churned up and then frothy the oil gets?
Only thing I can think of!

fazerlad100

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 14 July 2013, 07:35:12 pm »
I don't understand it either just glad it's working again but I wish i'd tried one thing at a time rather than the both together then I would have known which one cured the problem. I suspect it was the oil though.

Maybe. You can't argue with results but I don't understand it