Date: 24-04-24  Time: 21:34 pm

Author Topic: ebay rip off prices  (Read 2145 times)

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
ebay rip off prices
« on: 03 July 2013, 10:44:17 pm »
I was looking on ebay for some disc bolts,i found a few rip off prices, one was £1.99 which is expensive till I saw this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-NEW-YAMAHA-FRONT-BRAKE-DISC-BOLT-FOR-YZF-R1-2004-2009-/180992638642?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2a24007eb2 I also found this from DK http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-YZF1000-R1-5PW-2002-2003-Rear-Brake-Disc-Bolts-Pins-/330945610726?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item4d0de543e6 FOR SECOND HAND BOLTS!! the bolts are £1.26 each including vat from your local dealer

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: ebay rip off prices
« Reply #1 on: 04 July 2013, 03:44:06 am »
I always check the new price for whatever I am buying, plus do a search for the cheapest new available before buying on eBay.

I also will never pay more than 50% of original cost for any second hand item and if I see a ridiculous postage cost I also won't bid.

As in most things its buyer beware, so its great when people point these things out.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 July 2013, 04:21:34 am »
things like this dont bother me so much. someone has obviously bought the bolts and its trying to make a few bucks off them (ebay fees are 10%, and paypal takes another few % AFAIK, so the cost would need to go up accordingly). people will either pay the extra or wont, and if they wont, then sellers like you linked to would stop selling.

No, what really winds me up is second hand items which people bid on, and then bid the price right up, till it costs more than a new one! I just dont get that mentality whatsoever, and its fairly common as well  :rolleyes

sure2ride

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - Royal Enfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 July 2013, 08:18:07 pm »
I think thats just some people are   a) being very very competative, and b) not doing their research.

When I bid I always decide what my maximum will be, and stick it in at the very last minute.

If you are competative like me, it's too easy to get in a bidding war and just keep bidding till you win, irrespective of how much the items worth !   crazy, I know, thats why I have changed the way I bid so that I don't get a second chance.  :\

If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans.

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: ebay rip off pricesthe
« Reply #4 on: 04 July 2013, 08:34:33 pm »
I use a Chrome plugin called Myibidder.com to automatically "snipe" at the last few seconds.  It inserts a symbol on the auction page which you click and enter your highest bid.  6 seconds before the auction ends it will automatically enter that amount, if it's the highest amount then you win if it's not then you don't.  You don't have to be in front of your Laptop and you can queue up as many auctions as you like.  Take a look at the vid here, I've used it for years.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/myibidder-auction-bid-sni/fmebanjjkaohcmifehogijfgcoieefnp
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 July 2013, 08:39:39 pm »
Sounds sneaky I'll have to get it. ..

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #6 on: 04 July 2013, 09:55:29 pm »
I use the Auction Stealer website which has done pretty good for me in the past.

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 July 2013, 10:34:07 pm »
I was looking on ebay for oil filters for my fz6 and mt-01, the cheapest I could find were around £6.50 each with postage looked on amazon got them for £4.75 each and free postage.

karlo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • By Fazer I Fly!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Swadlincote, S.Derbys
    • View Profile
    • UK Bikers
« Reply #8 on: 05 July 2013, 07:25:01 am »
There are some right morons that use Ebay, I've watched items that have sold for more plus P&P than an Item you can buy new inc p&p.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 July 2013, 08:15:00 am »
Saying that I just got a two piece set of leathers for a fiver off eBay, and they're pretty good!
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

jon

• FOC-U Crucifixion Consultant
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - CRF250L, Stage 1 tuned
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 July 2013, 09:43:42 am »
I used to buy up old bikes, break them and sell them on ebay, did quite a few of them for a while and it worked quite well until everyone and his mother started using those stupid last minute bidding apps. Now I dont bother. Nowadays if you try to sell a part on ebay you put it on for a 7 day listing at a pound expecting it to go for whatever anyone thinks its worth, might be a pound, might get a bidding war, who knows, but instead you get no bids whatsoever but about 100 'watchers'. These watchers are the ones using the last minute bidding apps now instead of bidding! If you watch your own item in the last few seconds you see about 10 or 15 bids appear as all the apps try to get their bids in, but ebay cant cope with all those bids at once so half of the bidsdont register in time. The outcome? A seller that gets sod all for his part and loads of unhappy bidders that email the seller wanting to know why the winning bidder got it for a tenner when they had a bid of 20 quid in their bidding app. I got fed up with all the hassle in the end, being accused of ending the auction in the last second etc and I no longer sell on ebay. Shame, cos I never once got bad feedback from someone I sold too, just agro from all the hundreds of sheep that used those stupid bid sniper apps.

Nowadays, if I buy from ebay I stick in my highest bid early (say £40) and then leave it. It will sit at a pound for the duration of the auction until the last 6 seconds then it will shoot up as ebay tries to proccess everybodies bids. If I win its good, but if not then at least I have got no chance of being in a bidding war and paying over the odds!

jon

• FOC-U Crucifixion Consultant
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - CRF250L, Stage 1 tuned
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 July 2013, 09:52:41 am »
Those last minute bidding apps only worked when nobody else had them, and everybody wanted to get the last high bid in. Now that everybody has them it totally defeats the point of having them, afterall only ONE person can be the last bidder, not everyone!
 :rollin

Im waiting for an app for the seller that in the last second changes the listing from 7 days to 7days and 10 minutes! That would give ebay time to register all those last minute bids and the winner would actually be the one that bidded highest, not the one that was lucky enough to be registered just as the auction ended!