Date: 16-04-24  Time: 09:10 am

Author Topic: A Few Days In Wales, Camping  (Read 5415 times)

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
Re: A Few Days In Wales, Camping
« Reply #25 on: 11 July 2013, 10:22:39 am »
Great pics, Nick!
Wales is simply stunning and while often so wet & misty you cant appreciate the scenery last few days it has been really too hot for me to ride and fully concentrate-even with the air vents open on jacket& trousers. Are Welsh midgies as bad as the Scottish variety?
Hoping weather will hold as doing a ride to Lakes Vrynwy & Bala next Tuesday with mate on his 22yr old CG 125 so its not going to be a race! but have worked out a very scenic route from S. Birmingham avoiding the most heavily used A roads. Cymru am Byth!
Will also be doing a run to Brecons  early August to pay respects to my late partner by visiting stone circle where her ashes were scattered. Beautiful spot where the river Tawe rises before starting its journey down to Swansea Bay. This time will be even more poignant as will be riding Rhondda Red with its Welsh registration  plate.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 11 July 2013, 10:38:22 am »
I usually do most of my camping trips in late April/early May, but because we had such a crappy spring (and the slight technical hitch of not having a bike by then!)  I left it very late this year. So I'd forgotten how uncomfortable it can be when it's really hot. For me at least, the Welsh midgies were equally as bad as the Scots variety. I couldn't find any Skin-So-Soft locally, and the "proper" repellants never seem to work for me. But, now I know how quick/easy it is to get to Wales from where I am now (used to live London/Essex, now Oxfordshire) it'll be easy for me to just go for a couple of nights camping on, say, a long weekend whenever the mood takes me. So hopefully I will be able to meet up with some of you guys over there soon. Have heard many unfamiliar Welsh place names since being a FOCcer, so obviously still plenty of places left to explore.
I love Wales, Scotland and the Lake District, Have walked many miles in Wales and the Lakes region, as well as biking it, done two rides to Scotland, can't get enough of any of them! And, despite three years in Germany whilst in the RAF, still don't feel I've cracked my European cherry - I'd love to ride around the Alps, but time and money have not yet permitted this, and I'd really like to do it with someone who has been and is familiar with the hotels, roads, customs etc. One day....
« Last Edit: 11 July 2013, 11:07:23 am by nick crisp »

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 11 July 2013, 02:54:25 pm »
Well, have just finished putting camping kit away handy, having made adjustments from backpacking gear to bike gear (not a great deal of difference), so ready to go again at the drop of a hat. Hmmm, could use more bungees. Bungees, Bungees, gimme more bungees!

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 27 September 2013, 08:31:31 pm »
Part 2!
Just got back from 3 days hooning around Wales to complete this little bit of unfinished business, over 850 miles covered, rear tyre has just about had it, and front not far off, something I've never achieved before, both fitted at same time.
Day 1, met up with Noggy and the Noggyfighter at the West End Café, Llandovery, after a ride largely through thick fog up the A40. We then pretty much repeated the ride that Slimwilly, friends and myself did a few weeks ago. Great fun, the Noggyfighter going well with no sign of post-crash nerves from it's pilot. We parted company at Devils Bridge, Noggy to head home and myself back to Llandovery and the campsite there.
Day 2, did a blast up to Snowdonia, trying a few roads I haven't seen before. Wound up at Pen-y-Pass and was lured further than I meant to go up the Pyg Track, still in full textiles, before getting all hot and sticky and thinking, this is meant to be a biking holiday, not hill-walking! Oh well, old habits die hard...
Got a soaking on the way back to the campsite, but all dried out by the time I got there, so that was alright...
Day 3, tried various other roads I've not ridden before, all of them good fun including one where the red flag made me suspicious, turned back to check a sign I just glimpsed in passing, MOD property, No Admission, oops! Ah, the firing ranges on the Mynydd Eppynt, better not ignore that flag then, and turned around sharpish! Couldn't tear myself away from exploring until I finally hit Crossgates café and the A44, and so home.

And some pics (on more than one post, cos it's not accepting them again all on one post)

Nog and the Noggyfighter before setting off on first proper rideout since rebuild

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 27 September 2013, 08:34:39 pm »
Some nice Welsh scenery

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 27 September 2013, 08:35:32 pm »
And a bit more nice Welsh scenery (who keeps parking that bloody thing in the way?!)

« Last Edit: 27 September 2013, 08:43:37 pm by nick crisp »

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 27 September 2013, 09:02:20 pm »
Nice pics Nick.......well apart from the one with me in of course :)

Looks like the trip was a great success...a few days well spent me thinks, i really need to explore North Wales next time, like we said if a few more foccers want to visit from afar then an overnight camp would be ideal.

Really enjoyed the days riding...i was in the sticks on my way home on that small road,  i was nicely knackered by the time i got home at 6pm.still havent washed the noggyfighter either, shame on me!.

Cheers!

Nog

Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 27 September 2013, 09:23:46 pm »
Mine's a little better for wiping over with a couple of jiffy cloths at the campsite this morning, but then I gave it another coating of flies after, so another (back breaking) clean needed! :\
Yeah, Snowdonia's nice, but as others have said, there's less choice of good routes than in mid Wales. Still, I've been up there 4 or 5 times on a bike now, and still enjoy it, even though it's all getting very familiar now.
I think Wales, more than any other part of the UK, would be good for a major Foccers meet with camping, and a few days of really good riding. It's easier for more folks to get to than Scotland and I think has more packed into a smaller area - truly God's biking country!

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 27 September 2013, 09:31:48 pm »
Great pics Nick, Isn't bike camping the best way to get away from it all for a few days?
I managed to squeeze three trips in this year, living in Yorkshire coast I had a good long run to Padstow in May, then did Pembrokeshire in July before doing Newquay in August. I wait till last minute to pick the weather and it was great this year although on my return from Padstow in May I found myself in a thunderstorm round Birmingham at 7 degrees which wasn't good!
If I have time I travel the Fosse Way through to the Cotswolds to break the motorway boredom but it adds a few hours on.
Did Scotland about three years ago in May and have some great memories of that too.
I travel alone so I can completely chill and do my own thing for a few days....bliss!

D

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 27 September 2013, 09:56:59 pm »
Hi dickturpin
Yeah, I tend to book time off at the last minute too. This time, I booked these dates cos of getting the bike Ivanised last Saturday and wanted some quality play time with it! Kept looking at the forecast leading up to it and thinking, oh, not looking great, but sometimes if you just go for it, you find it turns out better than you hoped, and this was such a trip.
I have loved camping since going on deployments with a Puma helicopter squadron in the RAF. I've done several good UK bike tours with tent, and a lot of backpacking/hill-walking too. I have 2 rigs now, one is derived from my hill-walking kit, which I use on short trips like this one, the other is my "glamping" rig, complete with 3-man tent (for one!), table and folding chair, for when I go for 2 or 3 weeks at a time. But the lightweight kit is far less agro than dragging all that stuff around.
I do like the convenience of not having to pre-book for camping, especially outside of the holiday periods, and I reckon the weather is nicer for it in spring and autumn (generally, of course!).
Wales I have recently discovered is very handy for me since moving to Oxfordshire. I can now ride out there, get several hours riding  in and head home same day if I want, which, for a London boy like me, is really fantastic  :)
Just got to get a European trip under my belt still...

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 27 September 2013, 10:21:20 pm »
For you Wales, for me Lake District or Yorkshire Dales are within an hour or two but so far I haven't bike camped at those cos I tend to think I will head home if within an hour or two. Maybe next year.
I do like to head into Devon or Cornwall to see places I was taken on family holidays as a kid. The Pembroke stop this year was also for that reason having stopped in Tenby in 1973 and again in 1979.
Doubt I'll get away again this year with the tent as nights close in....but next summer is coming!

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 28 September 2013, 04:15:25 am »
Great pics nick im jealous. Bloody tax dodging student son and daughter keep coming between me and a new dunlop roadsmart so the fazer hasnt been out of the garage much lately. Im looking forward to spring so i can get back to west wales.
a bird in the hand poops on the wrist

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 28 September 2013, 02:39:17 pm »
Noggy, the bike looks good, glad you are out again.
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 28 September 2013, 04:33:42 pm »
Noggy, the bike looks good, glad you are out again.
Cheers Bill
i can send you a small 30 minute clip of my Blue Brake lever if you like! :D

slimwilly

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 28 September 2013, 10:33:01 pm »
oh no,pleease,no more

i may try some bike clips tomorrow
good weather ,,you out anywhere?

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 28 September 2013, 10:39:18 pm »
Hey Bill, if you're out tomorrow but want to do a different route in Wales, I can highly recommend B4520 from Brecon to Builth Wells, followed by A481 to the A44, then you can easily head to Crossgates. 2nd of my last 3 pics here was taken on this route, great winding mountain roads, fantastic views. Mind the sheep tho!

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 28 September 2013, 10:40:00 pm »
Ill be out from 0530 am.......at work :'(

Gotta earn my  :faz  pennies!

I look forward to seeing your videos, hopefully while im still in work......wouldnt wanna waste my own time would i he he ;)

You started it! :lol ....bout time you upgraded to a 600 Bill!!! :b

Have a good'n & stay safe 8)

slimwilly

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 29 September 2013, 07:24:07 am »
I shall be applying plenty of the "Anti Sheep Bite " spray