Date: 24-04-24  Time: 04:58 am

Author Topic: Let the flaming begin - Forum Rules ?  (Read 38267 times)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Let the flaming begin - Forum Rules ?
« Reply #50 on: 01 July 2013, 11:59:50 pm »
*((+$%*@~!! smartass! :lol

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 02 July 2013, 05:57:20 am »
I could get riled but judging by the posts it'd be pointless.

My wife told be to stop being stroppy too.

If you don't like my awesomely,brilliant and wonderful suggestion then I'll learn my lesson from it.

I suppose I should thank BBB for teaching me a valuable life lesson that funny is most definitely in the eye of the beholder which (in retrospect) certainly explains little Britain for me too (and don't even get me started on the attractions of soap operas).  Thank you BBB, lesson learnt I'll stfu.

Don't worry about it as I don't...... we are all different on here and you already know that by your signature..... although I would change it to...." opinions are like clits.... every cunts got one"  ;)

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 02 July 2013, 07:33:13 am »
Got to ask while Im here.... why did you type f**king instead of fucking?   Youre either swearing or your not, you cant part swear!!  ;)
Putting asterisks makes it less offensive to me psychologically.  You start reading and the second my mind sees them I block the rest of the word out and just mentally insert the word 'swearing'.  If the sentence doesn't make sense without context I can go back and fill in the blanks to figure out what the context is.
I think, like in reality, there are degrees of swearing too, cussing isn't as bad as peppering your sentence with expletives.

It's just a way of swearing when you don't like it and justify it to yourself.  Still naughty but marginally more acceptable to normal swearing.

It works for me anyway however poor my excuse.
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 02 July 2013, 08:25:28 am »
Until this thread descended into the gutter it rarely seemed necessary, but I'd now be happy to see some rules along the lines suggested. Those employing profanity with such exuberance here may regard themselves as Malcolm Tuckers, yet it mostly comes across as puerile and lowers the tone of the place.
The use of the synonym for vulva is particularly unpleasant.
Choosing to use offensive language has nothing to do with free speech, leaving it out is simply a matter of respect towards others. On a public forum it's pretty much akin to screaming obscenities in the street. I'd rather those so inarticulate that they have to use abusive language towards someone to get their point across did so in a private message.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 02 July 2013, 08:51:27 am »
Until this thread descended into the gutter it rarely seemed necessary, but I'd now be happy to see some rules along the lines suggested. Those employing profanity with such exuberance here may regard themselves as Malcolm Tuckers, yet it mostly comes across as puerile and lowers the tone of the place.
The use of the synonym for vulva is particularly unpleasant.
Choosing to use offensive language has nothing to do with free speech, leaving it out is simply a matter of respect towards others. On a public forum it's pretty much akin to screaming obscenities in the street. I'd rather those so inarticulate that they have to use abusive language towards someone to get their point across did so in a private message.
Thanks for phrasing this so well. It's nice to see I'm not entirely alone.  Tbh I don't have an issue with mild or infrequent swearing but posts that are designed to cause offense or vulgarity just make me cringe compared to the rest of the quality banter.
Arse, my stfu isn't working on myself.
« Last Edit: 02 July 2013, 09:11:58 am by simonm »
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 02 July 2013, 09:03:20 am »
Might be pointless, but its fun!!!  :D

Got to ask while Im here.... why did you type f**king instead of fucking?   Youre either swearing or your not, you cant part swear!!  ;)

I think you will find that i did part swear :D

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 02 July 2013, 09:13:00 am »
Could the site admins possibly help here?

On a few other forums I use, there is a self-censorship option that you can set, meaning you can replace any word you're uncomfortable with, with another word of your choice.
i.e. shit can be shoot, fuck can be flip, piss can be pee and Hyosung can be wankbag.

There are other forums that censor words for all users, but these personal options seem the best so would it be possible to adopt it here?
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 02 July 2013, 09:37:17 am »
What would 'Honda' be blanked out as then? That's a swear word:P
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 02 July 2013, 09:39:45 am »

On a few other forums I use, there is a self-censorship option that you can set, meaning you can replace any word you're uncomfortable with, with another word of your choice.
i.e. shit can be shoot, fuck can be flip, piss can be pee and Hyosung can be wankbag.

There are other forums that censor words for all users, but these personal options seem the best so would it be possible to adopt it here?

That might make some people incomprehensible!  :lol
The Deef's apprentice

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 02 July 2013, 09:49:01 am »

That might make some people incomprehensible!  :lol

Made me think of this:  :D

Harry Enfield - Badfellas

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 02 July 2013, 10:11:11 am »
"Hyosung can be wankbag"

LMAO BRILLIANT!!!
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 02 July 2013, 10:21:45 am »
"Hyosung can be wankbag"

LMAO BRILLIANT!!!

And "blue Fazer Thou" can be "snail"!!  :rollin :rollin
The Deef's apprentice

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 02 July 2013, 10:40:28 am »
"Hyosung can be wankbag"

LMAO BRILLIANT!!!

And "blue Fazer Thou" can be "snail"!!  :rollin :rollin

Slow down everybody!!!!! 8) ...........dont be so offensively Blue!!!!!! :b :b :b
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Farjo

• Consultor de administración
  • GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 02 July 2013, 10:50:58 am »
We have a

That's a great suggestion - however there's a problem. The 'censored words' option is used to changed some youtube addresses otherwise they wouldn't work, so for those people who didn't have censorship switched on, some youtube videos would not work. It took me a while to figure out how to fix the problem before finally finding this option (I mention this to show I'm not just being lazy).

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 02 July 2013, 11:51:25 am »

That's a great suggestion - however there's a problem. The 'censored words' option is used to changed some youtube addresses otherwise they wouldn't work, so for those people who didn't have censorship switched on, some youtube videos would not work. It took me a while to figure out how to fix the problem before finally finding this option (I mention this to show I'm not just being lazy).

Oh well, worth a shot.  :D

sure2ride

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - Royal Enfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 02 July 2013, 12:32:32 pm »
Well, looks like everyone is friends again  :)
Great site, thanks admin for the great work. :)

If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 02 July 2013, 12:44:49 pm »

From a technology perspective it wouldn't be that hard to differentiate between normal text and a URL and apply the conditional formatting appropriately.

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 02 July 2013, 12:46:59 pm »
What happened to your stfu, Simon?  :lol :lol

The Deef's apprentice

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 02 July 2013, 02:15:15 pm »
My stfu is more to do with getting involved in conflict and things that have nothing to do with me.  I thought I could get away with it as it wasn't a contentious or argumentative thing to say  :lol

Ton13

• Weekend Warrior
  • Tonie
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Honda VFR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 02 July 2013, 02:42:25 pm »
 I can honesty say that I have never faced anything like that said or aimed at me....

we are all bikers regardless or race, sexuality or sex....
I am a gay female and I never get any shit off any one from here only advice and help....

That's what biking is about, community and support.... a cuppa, a fag and ribbing each other about pussying out of going round the bends!

I suppose hanging around with 20bikers daily kinda rubs at any smooth polished professional surface I have to have while managing them all at work  :lol

Ride It Like You've Stole It

Farjo

• GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 02 July 2013, 02:50:10 pm »

From a technology perspective it wouldn't be that hard to differentiate between normal text and a URL and apply the conditional formatting appropriately.

I'm sure you're right. If you'd like to write the mod then I'll be happy to test it. Or maybe you meant that I should spend my time working on a coding fix on your behalf?

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 02 July 2013, 03:01:12 pm »

I'm sure you're right. If you'd like to write the mod then I'll be happy to test it. Or maybe you meant that I should spend my time working on a coding fix on your behalf?
I getcha.  What is the mod, where is the source code for the plug in you use ? Is there a public git repo?  My solution of a forum code of conduct would have been easier but if this is the only solution others are happy with I'll have a looksee as its better than saying it's unworkable and sitting on my hands  :lol

Farjo

• GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 02 July 2013, 03:54:42 pm »
We use Aeva Media to display videos. It is no longer supported as the author is working on a replacement for SMF. YouTube videos that begin https are newish and so not supported. There is an easy fix and a difficult fix. The easy fix concerns the word censor i.e. swapping https for http (when followed by youtube etc - obviously I cannot type it here as the censor will censor it). This is the option I chose because 1. we are not using the censor and 2. it would have taken me a while to understand the difficult fix.

Here is the difficult fix:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=200401.msg3555283#msg3555283

You can find the php files mentioned if you download the mod. Good luck!

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 02 July 2013, 04:42:52 pm »
Seems like a lot of work as the general consensus was the forum works well and didn't need fixing. Would it not be easier just to block users that he doesn't like.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 02 July 2013, 05:00:03 pm »
Seems like a lot of work as the general consensus was the forum works well and didn't need fixing. Would it not be easier just to block users that he doesn't like.
That would imply that I dislike you.  I don't.  I'd like to read the things that you have to say minus the surplus diatribe  :lol