Date: 27-04-24  Time: 02:49 am

Author Topic: break or put back on the road ?  (Read 2506 times)

Sealion127

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Thundercat
    • View Profile
break or put back on the road ?
« on: 26 June 2013, 02:21:10 pm »
hi folks.

after some opinions on what to do with my fazer , its writen off but the damage is very light and the cost of getting it back on the road but still with cosmetic damage  would be about £150 buying parts off ebay.

ive been offered £300 salvage but do i strip it and sell it myself or take the easy option and take the £300. I know all the numbers say fix it but is it worth much when it comes time to sell it as a cat d.

cheers
chris

lds1973

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: break or put back on the road ?
« Reply #1 on: 26 June 2013, 02:30:06 pm »
I'd say repair it. The cheapest mk 1 fazers are about £1000 so a cat d would be worth £800 wouldn't it?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 June 2013, 03:12:35 pm »
£150 to put a bike back on the road........no brainer!!!

My mate just paid £640 to get his Fazer through an M.O.T.  :eek
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 June 2013, 04:51:36 pm »
They're always worth rebuilding! Some people pay £150 for a service, so rebuilding for that is worth it!
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

ajmes1

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 June 2013, 09:53:08 pm »
I believe You can apply to have the cat D removed once its fully repaired, brother had it done with an old car.

Not too sure on how it all works, only that it may be possible.

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 June 2013, 11:10:58 am »
Fix it.

What's damaged?

Sealion127

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Thundercat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 June 2013, 04:30:13 pm »
id pretty much already made my mind up , just wanted confirmation i was doing the right thing

damage wise , the rear undertray and number plate hanger is shattered , scottoiler is bust , front fairing mount is bent ,top box and mount snapped , cracked screen , the rest is cosmetic stuff really which i wont bother with .

just got it back an hour ago .

chris

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 June 2013, 09:53:27 am »
Fibreglass, filler, rattle can, cable ties.  Job's a good'un  :lol

keno

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZRX1200R 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 June 2013, 02:58:26 pm »
id pretty much already made my mind up , just wanted confirmation i was doing the right thing

damage wise , the rear undertray and number plate hanger is shattered , scottoiler is bust , front fairing mount is bent ,top box and mount snapped , cracked screen , the rest is cosmetic stuff really which i wont bother with .

chris

That is nothing,FIX IT

I hit a car that pulled out in front of me,damage was totally wrecked fairing and bracket was almost bent in half,broken front mudguard,starter clutch housing smashed and big hole leaking oil,exhaust and link pipe totally smashed,right footpeg and front brake lever bent.bought bike back from insurance company as a cat c for £120.
£300 later.

Tibbs

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 July 2013, 10:50:47 pm »

chris

That is nothing,FIX IT

I hit a car that pulled out in front of me,damage was totally wrecked fairing and bracket was almost bent in half,broken front mudguard,starter clutch housing smashed and big hole leaking oil,exhaust and link pipe totally smashed,right footpeg and front brake lever bent.bought bike back from insurance company as a cat c for £120.
£300 later.

I think I bid on that one, did you sell it on eBay?

I really wanted it too (the twin headlamps and the fly screen look freaking sweet), but my phone lost signal and I didn't get my final bid in on time :(

ratfazer

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 July 2013, 12:12:04 am »
Put it back on the road. Mine is a cat B write off and was offered 800 for it, wouldn't sell it even if I was allowed to.d

Sealion127

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Thundercat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 July 2013, 12:37:32 am »
just thought i would give a quick update on whats gone on , after being offer a fraction of what i paid for the bike 2 weeks previous they now have agreed to give me what i paid for it . i had to resort to bypassing the legal people who were meant to have my best interests at heart and negotiate directly with aviva . 

ive spent a grand total of £47 , done a lot of plastic welding to get it back to a reasonable looking road worthy bike , it goes for a m.o.t tomorrow so fingers crossed, its never going to be a mint bike but it will do for the summer .

Steve

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - '06 Yamaha YBR125
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 July 2013, 11:31:35 am »
I crashed my 98 Fazer a few months ago- new tyre, wet weather, following a mate on roads I didn't know... Pretty stupid really.
Anyway, I managed to snap one of the stanchion legs in half, the other was pretty bent, my tyre went through the radiator and needless to say the fairings and the like were trashed. Overall, not a pretty picture at all.
I was looking at a few options- buying a similar model with more miles off of ebay, possibly keeping the rest as spares after a few transplants... selling my bike and buying a new one... Even going straight to a manufacturer and getting a brand new Yamaha on finance. But in the end this Fazer was my first big bike and I simply couldn't part with her.
I got in touch with a few motorcycle breakers, and between the breakers and ebay I managed to sort out everything for about £400, covering the forks, bottom yoke, front nose fairing, radiator, fuel tank, headlight, clocks, front mounting bracket and a few little pieces besides.
So fix it, you'll love the experience and afterwards will feel even more confident on your bike, if that's possible.

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 July 2013, 02:52:32 pm »
It was kinda daft asking that question on a Fazer website, you musta known what the answer would be  :lol

Get her back on the road, even if she's a FrankenFazer  ;)