Date: 19-04-24  Time: 17:54 pm

Author Topic: Strange Noise After The Chain Was Adjusted! HELP !!!  (Read 3315 times)

Ton13

• Weekend Warrior
  • Tonie
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Honda VFR 750
    • View Profile
Strange Noise After The Chain Was Adjusted! HELP !!!
« on: 10 November 2011, 08:43:57 am »
Hello Hello Hello....... Me AGAIN !  :)
This bike seems to be giving me more problems then ever now!
one of my "yeye i can fix that" mates advised me that my chain was slack and needed tightening... so after much struggle of every nut, bolt and toggle being "far too tight" he ended up taking the rear spindle out and taking the adjusters out as they were filthy and almost impossible to move...
So far we were going ok, he put the spindle back in and adjusted the chain etc so its matching both sides of the swing arms etc etc etc..... soooo the problem......
I left to ride home, (a 40min journey that actually took 2hours) and i noticed the problem.
The Knocking..... it felt a bit like my rear wheel was about to fall off. when i got back it was pitch black but had another little look and it still seems to be aligned....
Any ideas of what i can do? i know im due for a new chain and sprocket but would this cause the knocking?
its a slow speeds as well as fast (although i didnt get about 40mph due to traffic)
Also i have just looked and noticed a few rust spots on the chain.
so please please please! help!
Ride It Like You've Stole It

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Noise After The Chain Was Adjusted! HELP !!!
« Reply #1 on: 10 November 2011, 08:55:32 am »
Does sound like tight spots in the chain. Was it very loose previously, and is it correct now? 30-40mm, for a 98-99 FZS600, and 30-45mm for a 2000 on bike.

Especially when the chain is worn, you need to check it at a few points, as tight spots can make a massive difference - when my chain was knackered, I could adjust it at one point to be correct, then rotate the back wheel a quarter turn and the cahin would be tighter than a gnats wotsit. So then you're into compromise territory - but it really does mean new chain & sprockets are needed asap.

Ton13

• Weekend Warrior
  • Tonie
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Honda VFR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 November 2011, 09:01:15 am »
yeah, it had a slck spot which meant that when i was changing gear it was making a louder clunk then usual never gave me problems though....

after reading a few forums i am wondering if it has simply been done incorrectly... please correct me if im wrong but should the bike be on its wheels with me sitting on it?
it was tightened without anyone sitting on it and obviously with a bit of weight it causes the rear wheel to move and thus the chaion become tighter? is this correct? in which case it could just need loosening up for the time being?!?!?!

Ta

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 November 2011, 09:31:26 am »
Bike should be on the sidestand, nobody sitting on it. The stated slack takes into account the effect of rider weight tightening it some.

Do you have the standard suspension height? Its not been lowered has it? Not sure on this one, but this has potential to affect what slack you should be setting - sure somebody who knows more on this will be along shortly ;)

Ton13

• Weekend Warrior
  • Tonie
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Honda VFR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 November 2011, 09:57:08 am »
well ive managed to loosen off the chain a little and straight away it feels better when spinning the back wheel...

now, by anychance would you know where the oil plug drain is ? and whats the best way to get it off?

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 November 2011, 10:22:58 am »
Left hand side, kinda hidden by the frame rail. With a spanner :) 13mm if memory serves. You can't get in with a socket set (or not with mine, anyway) on account of the frame rail.

Ton13

• Weekend Warrior
  • Tonie
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Honda VFR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 November 2011, 11:21:31 am »
yeah ive found it..... i thought it was the wrong one because mine seems to now be fused to the bike...

:rolleyes

now i have to figure out how to get it (and the fused on oil filter) off the bike! grrrrr  :lol

fazed600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Suzuki GSXR1000 K7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 November 2011, 08:56:18 pm »
I think the oil drain plug is 17mm - and watch for the hot oil!

daveph

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 November 2011, 11:24:59 pm »
Yeah, notice the drain is on the side of the sump, so the oil squirts out sideways as the plug comes out.  Get a BIG catch tray as I've had plenty of oil on the floor in the past.    :rollin

Dave
Red (original '98) is the fastest colour

makeyourself

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 November 2011, 09:32:54 am »
well ive managed to loosen off the chain a little and straight away it feels better when spinning the back wheel...

Mine was making the knocking noise recently as you describe it, also needed new chain and sprockets. If that's what it is then apart from getting as near to the correct tension as you can (and keeping an eye on it), put plenty of chain lube on it. Simple advice but that practically got rid of the knocking noise for me until I got it changed a couple of weeks later.

wraith600

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 November 2011, 03:47:52 pm »
if you change the chain & sprockets your self make sure you do the front sprocket up correctly as a lot of people don't  :wall  as for chain lube if your short of cash use old engine oil   put on regularly depending on mileage it will make a mess  but works
follow me and ile show you were to crash

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,484.msg2583.html#msg2583

Captain Haddock

• Club Racer
  • Miserable Foccer.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XT600E & TDM850 Mk2
    • View Profile
    • Gone boating!
« Reply #11 on: 11 November 2011, 04:42:35 pm »
Also measure the thickness of the sprocket nut, if only 9mm invest £8 in a new nut and washer (p/n 90891-10124), the new nut is thicker and less likely to come loose and bugger the gearshaft as others have found.
Save the planet...It's the only one with beer!

Ton13

• Weekend Warrior
  • Tonie
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Honda VFR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 November 2011, 07:53:38 pm »
Thanks all,

after boosting my confidence of doing my own service, oil change and filters etc in the back garden... i have taken the time too look carefully at what was wrong, the chain is slightly "warped" at about 6links just causing a bit of Sag.

ive popped upto the local bike shop and got a tin of lube for £6.50 (the cheapest and the best recomended too) put that on and left it, the bike seems to be to its usual self now.

i know i have to get new chain etc but i can now safely hold out until the bike show **gets really excited** and see what i can pick up there  :lol

and yes, it did make a little mess but most went on the cardboard i had put down and the rest straight into an old plastic milk bottle  :eek

I must have good aim  ;)